What has Red Dwarf taught you??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by currymonster, Feb 19, 2010.

1. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

I remember in my first year or second year of secondary school, our English class was asked to take turns to write different emotions on the board at the front of the room.

Series 8 was either on air at the time, or had only recently finished airing and I walked up to the board and where everyone else had write things like Love, Hate, Happy, Sad ... simply things like that, I wrote ambivalent, because I remembered at the time Kryten describing it.

I just wondered if while growing up watching it, or not as the case may be, whether RD taught anyone anything else? Whether it be intellectually or not.

2. LucyLister

LucyLister Third Technician

i learned that lager is the only thing that can kill a vindaloo ;-)

3. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I got a B in my RS (religous studies) exam (it was a religion and the media question) I described Kryten's idea of silcon heaven and all the other refrences he made in the last day. Pretty sure that was the question that got me the B as I did bad on most of the other questions

4. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

Hahaha thats genius. I NEVER would have thought of that

5. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I also learnt what ambivilent means. I used it recently in conversation and it made me look all clever.

6. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I used ambivalent in a conversation yesterday. The guy replied "Me too - I can write with my left and my right hand". :roll:

7. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I can now compute what the square root of 2,049 is very fast :P

8. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

That you never, under any circumstances, let a polymorph in your house. No matter what he says.

9. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I wrote a story for English when I was at school that was basically the Inquisitor but set in Northamptonshire.

It also taught me the meaning of ambivalence, as well as ouroborus.

Does anyone else use RD insults and words in proper conversation? I've called plenty of people goits, smegheads and gimboids...

10. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

I've the called the occasional people a twonk (good old Timothy Spall), and i tend to say smeg a lot over where i'd normally swear.

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Taught me nothing haha in fact it probably had the opposite effect as I was into RD the most when I was in high school, around series 4 original airing on BBC2. I was obsessed with it and watched it all the time meaning I didn't really do any proper studying come exam time haha RD got me through that period of my life by being my friend and keeping me comfort in the hard times but it distracted me pretty darn well too hehe oh well.

:-)

12. KaterinaRox

KaterinaRox Third Technician

learnt what i think abivalent means... and also not to swear when "smeg!" is more appropriate. i know know about the bizzare notion that is orobouros, even thou i still think its confusing.

13. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Taught me:?:I'd have to think about that but it has inspired me to try things. I watched A Wonderful Life. A great film I may not otherwise have seen.Own it on dvd and even went to see it at the cinema in 2008. I got very interested in the JFK assassination after Tikka to Ride. I invented my own version of a fried egg chilli chutney sarnie. I watched golf after seeing it on Better Than Life. I tried Jack Daniels after Craig Charles said it was one of his drinks at DJ at Daventry - now its one of mine. I went to Silverstone to see F1 after being inspired by Scrapheap/Massive Engines. I watched Blade Runner again after Back to Earth and finally "got it" having tried several times over the years to understand why it was considered so good - seen BR 6 times since BtE. Red Dwarf has been influential over the last 21 years. I see it as a bit of a metaphor for my life I suppose.

14. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

STAY AWAY FROM SWIRLY THINGS IN SPACE!

And homicidal mutants. :P

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I learned that given how badly I did at school I should have applied for art college. They'd have snapped me up!:-)

16. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Everything I know

(And, most importantly that gazpacho soup is served cold)

17. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

It taught me what a gestalt entity is. Or was, as the case may be.

18. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Never rub another mans rhubarb!! Oh hang on...no sorry that was Batman wasn't it?

19. Aditional001

Aditional001 Third Technician

Red dwarf taught me never to listen to my Better half while she has a straw in her hand. Also taught me that if i see anyones sister that i had a crush on (Before i met my other half) that suddenly wants my body to be very VERY wary.

20. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

It taught me That, Real Dumplings, Proper Dumplings when they're Properly cooked to perfection, Proper Dumplings Should Not Bounce!