What I don't understand is...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2013.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I find I've been posting a few of these lately, but feel rather guilty for making a separate thread each time for something that's probably not going to have much of a life. So I thought I'd create just the one where all such questions can be posted.

In Pete Part 1, after the skutters have rescued Lister and Rimmer form the Hole, why are the rest of the crew in the middle of some Edwardian banquet in one of the ship's giant storage bays?

2. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

Edwardian Cosplay Enthuasists?

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well, no, cos they're not actually dressed in Edwardian costumes. It's just the candelabras and huge table I'm talking about.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's something I never questioned until someone else on the internet mentioned it in a review of the episode. It just seems that for plot reasons the writers needed the Dwarfers to be in a cargo bay when the dinosaur version of Pete appears, so they came up with Cat, Kryten and Kochanski randomly having dinner in there.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Thanks, Bluey. Glad it's not only be it struck as odd.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:-D Just watched that episode.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

There's an episode - can't be bothered tracking down which - that has the crew stood in front of a giant rip in the ship's hull, with planets and stars scrolling along.

So why isn't the ship's insides being sucked out?

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

It's a sci/fi comedy isn't

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

In The End, when Rimmer is sitting his exam, he smiles to himself as though he's suddenly figured something out, picks up the exam paper and proceeds to try and split it apart as though there's two sheets stuck together.

What is he doing, exactly?

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think that after realising he doesn't understand any of the questions, he starts searching for some (non-existent) easier questions.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But that doesn't explain why he's trying to split the exam paper. I wondered if it was because he thought the exam paper was sealed and the answers were inside.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Surely it's just because he believed (or hoped) that the one piece of paper might be two pieces stuck together with some easier questions inside?

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I don't suppose we'll ever know. It's just always puzzled me. It's like that strange double grimace thing he does in the same scene when he realises he's smudged all the answers on his arm.

Series one is as rough as a bear's arse, and all the better for it :-D

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well we will know. Bluey has answered the query. To be honest I didn't think it needed answering? It seemed quite obvious to me from when I first watched it. . .:roll:

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is exactly what it is, surely?

There's a similar scene in the "exam" episode of Mr Bean, too.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

simulant, is your sole purpose here to be as obnoxious as possible? Because I have to admit, you are very good at it. One bit of advise, though. You overuse the 'rolleyes' emoticon. It's just a pity you don't have a better grasp of the English language, because then you wouldn't need them to interpret your tone.

17. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Yes it is.

But back on topic. As people have said, and what 99% think, it's Rimmers faint hope that there would be some easier questions that he may have a chance of answering on the imaginary middle pages of which he fails to find within the single sheet exam paper. A fools hope.

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

... why the young Lister in Timeslides is so incredibly camp and effeminate.

19. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Define "camp and effeminate"...

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One thing I don't understand is why Hudson has a shotgun. He's a replacement for Kryten, a sanitation mechanoid designed for cleaning, so at what point did Divadroid decide that one thing something Lister described as a "vacuum cleaner on legs" really needed for his cleaning duties as they packed him up for his journey to the Nova 5 was a pump action shotgun?