What I don't understand is...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2013.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Kenneth Williams.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Shortly before this scene, Kryten says it's the only instant when a mechanoid is designed to be violent. I'm guessing the new models come armed in case they encounter any resistance in their job to replace the older 4,000 series.

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I see. :lol:

Well, Kenneth Williams was awesome. But in what way was young Lister like Kenneth Williams?

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Kenneth Williams and young Lister. I'm not seeing any connection.

That said, I don't think Emile Charles managed to imitate his older brother's mannerisms very well.

5. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

Saying a man is "too camp and effeminate" is usually used as a homophobic dog-whistle.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

However, from the Terminator style visuals it seems Hudson is not supposed to attack humans even then and in any case, being programmed to be violent in order to eliminate the previous model which should be easy as Hudson's apparently stronger, faster and smarter than Kryten, is a bit different from actually arming a sanitation mechanoid.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I figured it was so that he could defend himself on his long journey. (Presumably rogue droids or gelfs, if they had been invented when he was created. I'd imagine is programming would prevent him shooting humans even in self defence, but the threat might be enough.

I think I even read/heard that somewhere but I'm not sure where.

Alternatively, maybe he wasn't given the shotgun. He could have picked it up on his travels.

8. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

...in Rimmerworld, Rimmer keeps his appearance after 600 years. In Out of Time, his 15-years-older future self has clearly aged. Was this an error? His choice? Or just gross neglect of his own health? My sister thinks that they explained this, but I can't remember. Please enlighten me!

9. 74384338

Oh, and a second question (sorry if I'm being picky) - but I don't really understand why Rimmer is so loth to bring back Kochanski's hologram if Red Dwarf can sustain two. All right, so it would be a bit of a change to the plot if she did indeed come back - but why can't she? Is it that the "non-essential" systems shut down to power the duplicate of Rimmer were essential after all? Is he just being mean to Lister? Does he really hate Kochanski that much? Or is it just me being picky?

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

My take on this is that Rimmer was brought back to help keep Lister sane, as such when he is in Lister's company he ages at approximately the same rate as Lister, afterall it would be pretty depressing to be stuck with a room mate who was permanently in his mid-20s (or there about) whilst you went through your 30s, 40s, etc. In Rimmerworld he doesn't age because Lister isn't there with him so there's no requirement for him to do so.

I think if anything it's probably that after he was resurrected following the accident Rimmer was then the highest rank and so technically the commander of the ship. If they brought back anyone else other than another third technician, he'd lose that slot and if they did bring back another third tech he'd still lose most of what little influence he did have over Lister. Besides, it is revealed in Bodyswap that at least some of the personality disks have been lost when they're forced to use Carol Brown, the XO's disk because they can't find the Captain's, maybe Kochanski's disk is also missing by that point?

Both those did occur to me, but again he's a sanitation mechanoid packed into a post pod if he is ambushed a shotgun isn't going to be much help if any at all since he'd be very quickly overwhelmed, in any case we know from the fact that Hudson barely even noticed when blasted by Lister with a sawn-off at pointblank range that against mechanoids a shotgun isn't going to be much help in a fight.

For the second point though, I gathered that he was homing in on Kryten and again, from the external visuals was packed into a mail pod, I doubt he was stopping off to visit crashed ships and loot derelicts along the way.

11. 74384338

Good point. Didn't think of that! Thanks!

Not that I actually want Kochanski back as a permanent hologram. Much as I like the first Kochanski, I don't think she would work as a permanent character.

12. 74384338

...why Ace changed back after Emohawk. He said he didn't want to but, lo and behold, by Rimmerworld he's normal again (by his standards). Was there ever an explanation or am I being pedantic again?

13. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Maybe he's just jealous of Kochanski.

14. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

I absolutely adore Kenneth Williams!

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Me too. Apart from the Carry On films, he was also a wonderful chatshow guest.

16. 74384338

What makes the most sense is that in Polymorph the crew changed back once the Polymorph was dead. In Emohawk, they don't seem to, though it would be sensible if there was a bit of a time delay and then they changed back of their own accord... heavens above, I'm answering my own questions! I think that we can only speculate, as it was never explained, so that's probably case closed.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've often wondered at that. It just occurred to me though that the Polymorph in Emohawk wasn't actually killed, was it? It was frozen, and since the Crew (bar Dibbley/Cat) were also frozen and yet they returned next episode alive an kicking, the freezing process wasn't lethal. Hence their restoration requiring locating the DNA strands of crew members*and doing a bit of syringey... stuff.

So kill the polymorph means emotions return automatically.
    Incapacitate it, and you need to extract the emotions and reintegrate them yourself.

As for why the polymorph sucks out emotions rather than just killing/eating people, from a terrorism/war winning perspective it makes sense. Judging by the effect of the Dwarfers it seems that removing specific emotions causes the other emotions to overcompensate. The became irrational, insane even. Now imagine that happening to soldiers in an army. The polymorph slips into the ranks at night, sucking out emotions here and there then goes. That gives the other army - the one who deployed the polymorph- quite an advantage on the battle field, something that just killing individuals might not achieve.

*I didn't think DNA housed memory but anyway... I guess if the polymorph is actually a DNA sucker that would explain why their appearance also changed and why removing emotions was permanent, i.e. it wasn't just their emotions that were removed but their capacity to MAKE that emotion.)

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

And the thing is, with Lister it turned him into a hard nut but in doing so it also made him rash. Imagine several people like him in an army! At first they might appear dream soldiers with their lack of fear, but with that lack of healthy wariness they're likely to get themselves killed early in the battle. When they're not fighting among themselves. And fearless Lister wasn't much of an asset in the end, was he.

I guess Ace could be considered a happy accident, but he came close to snapping Dibbley's neck albeit he saw it a mercy killing.

I wonder if the real Ace would have been better balanced as the so called negative parts of his nature (his Rimmer nature if you like) would maybe be suppressed rather than removed.

19. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

If the despair squid is really the size of New Mexico, then how is it able to move so fast, and why hasn't it starved to death? Kryten's comment seems to indicate that the oceans are very sparsely populated.

I should think that waking up after four years, they would have terrible bed sores and very weak muscles, but no one not even Kryten, I mean, Jake Bullet, seems to question this.
    Also Dwayne and Sebastian's hair doesn't seem to have grown despite 4 years without haircuts. Again, no one questions this. (Ditto with beards and fingernails.)

If the "bio-feedback catheters" are what I think they are, why don't we see any evidence of anyone having lowered their pants to remove, or insert, them?

If Billy & Sebastian Doyle are only related by mother, then why do they have the same last name, and why would this information be on someone's ID?

Sebastian looks into a viewer to see a game in progress. Well, that's an interesting idea. Play a game where anyone can just look in and see whatever you might be doing in the game. I wonder if the person viewing has to stick coins in when someone is on the planet of the nymphomaniacs?

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I always took the "There's a blob on the screen the size of New Mexico" comment to just be a colourful description by Rimmer to indicate something very big rather than a literal description of its size. Maybe whilst the ocean is sparsely populated (As far as the crew know, we have no real idea of how thoroughly or completely they were able to survey the planet) there is still enough to keep the squid going, maybe it's able to lie dormant or hibernate until something comes close enough for it to eat.

Regarding Billy and Sebastian Doyle, if their mother was a single parent she may have raised them both under her name, she may not have even known who their fathers were and in a TIV it might make sense to have details of the next of kin on the label or tag in order to be able to easily return the items to the family if the player were to die whilst still in the game.

As for everything else, one thing you have to remember is that this is supposed to be a hallucination brought on by the despair quid ink, it doesn't all have to make sense just so long as the hallucination does its job and drives the victims to suicide or at least disorientates them long enough for the squid to attack or escape. Personally, I'm not too fussed about seeing any of the crew with their pants down pulling tubes out of themselves though, maybe that's just me... ;-)