What I don't understand is...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2013.

1. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Lioster is holding the polymorph when it is frozen. Must have been a damn good shot with the nozzle not to freeze his hands to it...

A simple squirt on the back of three of the crew froze them, and with dork Dwayne the only one who could move, how did he unfreeze them, and if he didn't and it wore off eventually, wouldn't the polymorph have unfroze first and got away?

2. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Wasn't it the hero version of Rimmer who was holding the polymorph (freeze it Davey boy)? I thought about the freezing problem too but could only conclude that Rimmer could stand it by being hard light. As for the rest of the crew getting frozen......erm......maybe it was a short term thing from the start.

3. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

About Timeslides...

How can a nonliving chemical "mutate"?

If they can take an object out of the picture (snow, briefcase) why not rescue the women from the Nova 5?

If Lister is so famous why is Lifestyles of the Disgustingly Rich & Famous the only thing Holly can find? If he's a rock star, why not some of his music videos?

Why would Rimmer have a night shot of himself and other boys sleeping and why didn't the person who snapped this shot ask who he was when he appeared?

What's the deal with the boxing gloves, or am I better off not knowing?

In this episode Rimmer refers to his inflatible woman as Rachel, but I thought in a previous episode she was referred to as Inflatible Inga, or does Rimmer have a harem of inflatible women? (One for each day of the week perhaps? Or one for everyday use the other for Sunday best, perhaps?)

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think she was called Inflatable Ingrid.

Good questions. Arguably there should have been a photographer behind each of those scenes. On the other hand, maybe that future (and come to think of it, our own present, to some extent), has lots of places with remote cameras embedded in walls which take these shots. They're mainly used for security purposes now, but there's no reason the technology could not be utilised in other ways. Saves fetching a camera from the other room if you can just gesture or speak to the wall-cam.

As for not rescuing Kryten's former crewmates, I never really thought of that. I have often wondered why the Dwarfers devote their energy to rescuing individual people in Stasis Leak, rather than attempting to prevent the drive plate accident which wiped out the crew. However, I guess it could be argued that they were still operating on the 'future cannot be changed' principle of Future Echoes (which is disregarded in other time travel episodes). I.e. they know that the accident happened, but unless they checked the extra Stasis Booth they wouldn't know there wasn't anyone in it. The fact Holly never mentioned it could be explained by present day Dwarfers telling past Holly to keep quiet about it or even reprogramming him.

Except we know that didn't happen as Rimmer and Kochanski weren't rescued. At least not in that way. Just thinking about explaining the internal logic of the situation. Heh.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Timeslides is one that it's best just to not think about to be honest. Just considering the briefcase, the diary entry Kryten reads puts that around 1937/38, Von Stauffenberg didn't carry out his attempt till July 20th 1944 by using a bomb in his own briefcase not Hitler's and the attempt was at Hitler's Eastern HQ not one of the Nuremberg rallies. It also seems a bit odd how accepting young Lister seems to be by this guy who just appears in the pub claiming to be him from the future. Like I said though, best not to think too much about that episode, just disengage brain and set your suspension of disbelief on high.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. For all it's holes it's a fun highly enjoyable episode.

7. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

The Cat people call him Lister The Stupid, they need to have something to base that name on!

8. Alana_Ryan_Behan

About Dimension Jump...

The ship can "break the speed of reality". What is the speed of reality?

If Ace is so well liked, then why are there only four people there to see him off?

Ace recognises Kryten as a series 4000 Mechanoid, except that I believe the 4000 series were built quite some time after the Red Dwarf crew snuffed it.

How can an android be punched unconscious?

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

a) Whatever you want it to be. Just take the "Speed" of reality to be one of the big ones that is considered unbreakable until it's broken, like Sound or Light. We just don't know what it is, which dimension(s) it's crossing, or how to measure it, yet... (Or if it even exists... ;-) )

b) The mission is Top Secret and although he's popular I got the impression that Ace is something of a loner, he has many acquaintances but no dependant family and few real friends.

c) Who says that this was the first reality that the original Ace jumped to? He may have encountered other Series 4000s and even other Krytens before this, even if it was he may have encountered prototype Series 4000s in his work doing experimental testing.

d) Kryten has a brain which is "Part organic" according to "DNA", it would make sense that he could be concussed or even rendered unconscious by a significant blow to the head. ...and anyway, Ace is obviously just that hard that he can knock-out a robot. What a guy.....:lol:

10. Alana_Ryan_Behan

now for Rimmerworld...

Lister tells Rimmer to bring along his hard light belt. Now all of a sudden Rimmer has a belt to go along with his hard light drive?

When they accidentally transport into the past they tell themselves that they are going to encounter a rogue simulant ship and that Rimmer escapes in a escape pod. So why doesn't anyone remember this at the beginning of the episode?

At the beginning Kryten tells Rimmer that his characteristics are used to make up the hologram. Maybe some of that information was a digital recording of his DNA and that digital information is what was used to recreate Rimmer's clones???

If bravery is a crime then why were the guards able to challenge three strangers? Shouldn't they be afraid of the unknown?

When did Lister, Kryten and Cat display all the traits that they were accused of displaying?

Shouldn't the Rimmerettes have looked like the female Rimmer from Parallel Universe?

When Rimmer discovers it will be 600 years before Starbug comes and gets him, why doesn't he just switch off his light bee after he lands, then when the others come they can switch him back on, and it will be like no time has passed at all?

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

a) It's referred to as his Hard Light Remote Belt, presumably when Rimmer was upgraded to hardlight he needed to be within the confines of whatever ship or station was projecting him, the Remote Belt I would guess gives him the ability to go roaming elsewhere for a limited time. I really wouldn't worry too much about this one though, Red Dwarf isn't exactly that hot on continuity especially for Holograms, remember back in Series II the only way Rimmer could even leave the confines of a ship was in his projection cage, then the light bee got retconned in for Meltdown. At least we got an explanation when he became Hard Light.

b) The space-time continuum hadn't re-ordered itself at that point. Sorry, that's the best I can manage...

c) This is what I've always thought. It would certainly make sense for at least a DNA signature to be recorded as part of a Hologram's storage disk if only to have the information readily available for the purposes of identifying remains.

d) We obviously know very little about the culture and society of Rimmerworld, but in most military organisations there are penalties, often very harsh ones depending on the situation and circumstances for failing to carry out duties correctly (In Britain last I checked Military Law has penalties that significantly exceed Civil or Criminal Law, especially for far minor offences). In this case the Rimmer-Soldiers were probably not acting out of bravery, they were probably acting out of fear of the punishment if the intruders were to make it into the city or palace unchallenged.

e) Probably off-screen, when they were being brought to the palace.

f) Unlike Arlene Rimmer these aren't female opposites, they're the results of 600 years of (Probably selective) inbreeding from clones. The Great One's harem girls are probably those picked because they most represent the True Form and are most Rimmer Like in appearance. Sounds crazy? That's partly the point...

g) Probably the same reason he choses to be left on for the trip back to Earth in Future Echoes, for all that's gone on since the accident I would guess that Rimmer still doesn't entirely trust Lister to not switch him back on or replace him with a better hologram given the opportunity (He was eager enough in Series V when he came up with "Some kind of Time-share scheme", when Landstrom seemed like a better option). Plus if rogue simulants or GELFs get there first he stands a much better chance of being able to run and hide if he's not just a light bee lying in a pod.

12. Alana_Ryan_Behan

if Ace can leap to "an infinite number" of dimensions, how would he protect himself in dimensions where he meets versions of Lister/Cat/Kryten/Rimmer that are evil and/or violent and that might decide to hurt or kill him?

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One thing that occurred to me only fairly recently. Why does Red Dwarf have a crew at all?

Even senile Holly can just about manage navigating the ship at light speed and has been competently navigating the ship through uncharted space for millions of years, so what do the Navigation Officers do? The scutters and Holly between them seem to have been able to take care of all the routine maintenance and repairs for 3 million years, so the engineers and technicians apparently aren't really needed and with a lower head count aboard you'd need fewer catering officers, doctors, counsellors, etc.

I get that it's a mining ship so would naturally need miners aboard (and in series VIII it does double duty as a prison ship, so would need guards too), but in terms of an actual human crew to operate the ship itself, it seems like the JMC were employing a lot of people who were just not needed.

14. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

If Ace in Series 7 is now a hard light hologram just like our Rimmer, how come he could be hurt and ultimately killed by a bullet when Legion said that hard light holograms are practically indestructible and cannot come to harm. Even Kryten himself said in Legion that he cannot penetrate Rimmer's hard light and he would have to do it himself.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Precisely, Legion said that Hard Light Holograms are practically indestructible, not actually indestructible. In Polymorph II Ace even says that he couldn't be sure that the grenade-polymorph wouldn't damage his hardlight drive.

Best guess from me would be that the bullet struck just as the light bee happened to be buzzing just under the surface right at that point, it might not have actually penetrated the hardlight but the shock of the impact that close was enough to damage the bee. Extremely bad luck on Ace's part, an inch or two out or a fraction of a second before or after and he'd probably have been fine.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I would presume the same way he'd protect himself against, for example, German soldiers when he finds himself inexplicably transported to occupied Europe in the second world war. He's obviously capable in a fight, those shots with the Luger would have been pretty incredible on a shooting range never mind while descending on a parachute and he was able to outwrestle Snappy before that too and as Ace he doesn't seem to shy away from a scrap either.

17. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

Perhaps there was a really high level of unemployment on the Jovian and Saturnian moons.

Or it was a bid to get people off the streets. They seemed pretty disreputable in Infinity, on Mimas anyway.

Or the JMC didn't trust the skutters or the mainframe computers.

Or it was tradition - they started off with a human crew before the technology advanced, and they had to keep them afterwards because otherwise they were throwing more than 1,000 people per ship out of their jobs.

I'm sorry, I'm rambling and these are all really woolly. But the best I can come up with.

18. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I guess a lot of them would double as miners, certainly most of the technicians anyway and then they give them things to do on the journey to and from planets to stop them getting bored.

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Thanks both of you, I have to admit that most of those did occur to me as well but I felt the same as you about them Girl from the Dwarf, still at least they're reasonably plausible explanations.

One other one from me then. Bazookoids are supposed to be mining lasers (According to the books at any rate), so why do they have Heat-seeking warheads?

20. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

You're welcome.

Erm, because the books don't relate to the series?

Or they often came by dangerous species on the moons they mined, so they needed some form of defence which wouldn't weigh them down along with the mining equipment. Two in one seems a pretty fair deal.