What I don't understand is...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

So did Holly engineer the problems with the Hologram Simulator or did a meteorite really hit the ship and Holly decided that was the right time to spring Queeg on the crew?

2. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I always assumed that a meteorite did hit the ship and he brought out Queeg when they started moaning at him for being incompetent just after they fixed the hologram simulation problem.

3. Alana_Ryan_Behan

White Hole:

So what happened that caused Holly's IQ to take such a drastic plunge? Sure Holly has been slipping, but the Cat says she's been counting by banging her head on the screen, which seems much worse than anything we had seen in a previous episode.

So why weren't Kryten and the others in the science room when Holly's memory was increased? Yes, it was a great scene between her and the toaster, but I can't figure out why they wouldn't be there in the first place.

If Rimmer's hologram is such a tremendous drain on ship's power, then how can he leave the ship for long periods of time? Either his light bee has some industrial strength batteries, which could be used instead of ship's power, or Holly is transmitting that energy through space, and in Backwards, through time.

When Rimmer and Kryten are bringing supplies up from the cargo decks they have a bunch of boxes on a dolly, but when the time pocket occurs, they are now on the side of the hallway and the supplies are nowhere to be seen. What happened to them?

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

and if Holly was now so smart why did she leave them without basic life support power (yet still powered Rimmer)?

5. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

In 'Entangled' there is a brief line from Lister which says that Kochanski is 31.

Now I know that there are all sorts of swurley wurley timey, wimey things in Red Dwarf but 31?

She must have been one young navigation officer in Series 1.

6. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Yes. I've heard of schoolgirl diplomacy... but a schoolgirl Navigation Officer?

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Junior Mining Corporation?

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One possible explanation is that maybe she was 31 the last time he saw her and not knowing if she's spent time in stasis or deep sleep in the intervening time he has no other reference point for how old chronologically she is now, so in the absence of anything more concrete he's still thinking of her as 31. Bit tenuous I admit, but it makes sense. Sort of.

9. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Talking about Stasis Leak....

Lister must have quite a bit of Rimmer's self-loathing if he thinks it's "funny" to play such a cruel and nasty "joke" on his younger self.

Why does Future Lister bother marrying Kochanski? She's going to be dead in three weeks and they can't save her as Holly identifies Kochanski's remains in The End and saving her would cause a major paradox that would wipe out the universe.

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Love obviously. . .:roll:

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I assumed future Lister still had access to his his own Red Dwarf in the future and that he planned to jaunt back possibly with her at some point. As for this causing a universe destroying Paradox, and I font think the Rd unuverse works like that.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Whereas having Kennedy assassinate himself causes no problems at all... ;-)

Actually I don't think Holly does ID Kochanski, Lister assumes that one of the piles of powder is her but IIRC Holly neither confirms or denies it, although even if he does it doesn't preclude the possibility that Holly's lying.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Or reprogrammed by one of the future crewmembers on one of their time.-travelling jaunts.

14. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Isn't it fanon that Future Lister in Stasis Leak is the corrupt Lister from the Out of Time timeline before he lost his body?

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't believe it is canon, as far as that exists in Red Dwarf anyway, IIRC it's a widespread fan-explanation that does at least go someway to explaining some of the inconsistencies between Series I and VI.

16. Unrumble

Unrumble Third Technician

It always puzzled me why they bother going back to their own time. They're not trapped on Red Dwarf, they're able to go down to a planet and visit future Lister & Kochanski on their honeymoon. Why not stay on the planet until Red Dwarf leaves (though as you say, not attempting to avert the accident somehow seems like a huge oversight on the writers/characters part), then resume living in a time still populated by humans.

I guess the arguments could be that Lister feels compelled to return, in order to reach the destiny as explained by his bearded-self, or that the implications of having to explain their existence might prove too much of an obstacle... I dunno, you think they'd jump at a chance to get back something approaching a normal life, rather than just shrug and head back to the future-Dwarf, and a bleak, futile life (potential promising future or not).

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

How did the polymorph nick the emotion of anger from Rimmer when he is a hologram and, as such, only composed of light so incapable of being "sucked of emotions" (!) ?:twisted:

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It's been established by that point that Rimmer has a light bee and is not solely made of light, it's entirely possible that either the polymorph managed to grab the bee just as it happened to be buzzing there, somehow sucked the bee into the right place or maybe just needed proximity rather than direct contact in this case.

19. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

To be honest, I'd been wondering that for years..! :P

20. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

Why is there not evidence all over the ship from the Cat population?

In the 3 million years from Frankenstein & the cat race that evolved up to Cat and the Cat Priest in Waiting For God there should be a huge amount of evidence for this. Even before leaving the ship they would have left a lot of dead cats/fossils/faeces/general mooching/hats etc. in their wake.

But Holly just lets this continue until it was safe for Lister to come out of stasis?

Or is this just another continuity/back story error that we are so used to that as long as it is funny we don't care?