What I don't understand is...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

The always efficient skutters cleaned it all up...

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why would they? If they were vacating the ship would they not take everything with them?

How would Holly not let this continue? Well, as others have said the skutters clean up.

Also seeing as Red Dwarf is 6 miles (10 km) long, 5 miles (8 km) tall, and 4 miles (6 km) wide with over 2000 levels it is not a great leap of logic to surmise that there is plenty of the ship which contains your aforementioned detritus but neither the viewer nor the remaining crew have seen any of it. . .:roll:

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The other thing to remember is that after Lister is released from stasis Holly tells him that Frankenstein and her kittens had been safely sealed in the hold where they had been breeding and evolving since the accident. I would surmise from that and what we see in the first series that when Holly let Lister out of stasis once the background radiation had died down was also the first time in three million years that he'd unsealed the cargo holds and that our Cat was the first of his people to venture into what would have been the living and working portion of Red Dwarf.

TL: DR There were no cat remains and artifacts in the crewed section of Red Dwarf because no cats had ever previously reached there.

Spoiler Warning.

In the book the first encounter between human and cat happens a bit differently, describing Lister and Rimmer examining an abandoned cat city where they first come across Cat. I would guess that something like what was described there probably is somewhere amongst the cargo hold (Presumably pre-Series VIII though, as the Nanos probably wouldn't have recreated that), but we haven't seen it partly because of budgetary reasons and partly because storyline wise there's just never been a good enough or interesting enough reason to show the crew poking around the ruins of Cat City.

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks for your contribution andyedge and welcome to the forum. Please overlook simulant1000's rudeness towards a newbie :P

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Err, I fail to see how my rational responses to andyedge's comments could be considered rude. . .:roll:

Not sure why you, Strat-tastic, feel the need to make such a comment. . .:roll:

6. Strat-tastic

I believe you. It explains a lot.

Why shouldn't I? Maybe he's thick-skinned and it washed over him, maybe he's lurked awhile and knows what to expect from you and couldn't care less, or maybe he's made tentative steps in the hope of joining us here and becoming a valued member and needs to be encouraged.

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

You could try leaving off the roll-eyes emoticon which you do somewhat overuse in general, that alone comes over as rather condescending.

8. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

The correct answer is all of the above ;-)

I've been reading these forums for some time so I know what to expect and have been around too long be bothered by other people's comments whether I find them rude or not.

Thanks for the welcome :-)

simulant1000, I didn't find your post rude at all and you made some perfectly rational points.
    Although as the cats left the ship in 2 arks after the hat wars I can't see why they would take everything with them. Just think of all the crap we humans leave behind everywhere, especially after a war.
    The Skutters cleaning up seems most reasonable. There may even be some cat remains in the Quagaars garbage pod along with the chicken.
    And thanks for the welcome :roll:

Simon, I think your post regarding the Cat City in the books makes the most sense as the books are considered canon are they not?
    I've been a fan of the series for a long time, but really need to get round to reading the books!

Smoke me a kipper...

9. Strat-tastic

I think you'll fit in here just fine :lol:

10. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

just fine :-D
    welcome also from the 'sarge at large'.
    if you had got hold of a copy of my red dwarf game you could have explored the whole ship yourself.
    oh and contributed to building some rooms on the fly too. we could have all built it together, but alas.
    if I return to it I will add in Cat temples, museums, etc,
    Id imagine the cat litter tray rooms similar to the humans of today,
    but with no toilet,
    just a small tray to poo in.
    with litter
    (why is this called litter?
    I saw a sign that says bring your litter home with you which is mad cos cats cant read,right?)
    also there would be no toilet reading for cats, since they smell books and stuff right?

11. Strat-tastic

They wouldn't be called rest rooms. That's every other room.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

A welcome on board from me too, andyedge.

As for the books being considered canon, I think the best answer I can give really is; sort of.

The books are considered as a separate continuity within the same basic setting and using the same basic characters as the TV series but you can't consider what is in the books as being stuff that happens off-screen inbetween episodes of the series. In fact even within the universe of the books, Doug Naylor's solo novel Last Human is often regarded as a separate continuity in its own right from the other books.

What happens in the books, stays in the books.