What I'd most like from a hypothetical new series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by R.I.P. 2000, May 3, 2009.

1. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

All good points I think, except one which I'll come to in a minute.

I don't see any problem with plundering Red Dwarfs backstory for future episodes provided they're not cribbing or repeating stuff that's gone before. In fact I think were long overdue an appearance by the Cat people which might give Danny a chance to grab the limelight for once (perhaps a female Cat shows up at last).
    Old plot devices arn't a problem its when a show starts repeating old jokes or scenarios that its usually losing its way.

I agree wholeheartedly with a return to the gloomy old stlye credits music. Alot of people seemed to love the BTE credits but they seemed awfully generic and dare I say American to me.

I'd take your idea of throwaway lines referencing continuity and expand it to piece by piece explain what happened over the last nine years, including the resolution to all those questions posed by series 8.

The only point I don't think will be feasable is your first. The reason they went against a more hologramatic rimmer all along is that it was too expensive to shoot and would involve to much blue/green screen activity with Chris filming on his own.

3. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I don't know, from what I've seen in modern movies they could do that without any blue screen (or green depending on Rimmer's uniform).

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

well that was just the reason I've seen given by Doug Naylor for them not doing the idea originally. Technology may have moved on now though.

5. Eternity

Eternity Third Technician

I agree with quite a few of those ideas.

Although to be honest if there were to be another series (fingers crossed) that they would gradually mention things that would build up a picture of what happened in the 'unseen series nine and ten'.

Not sure about changing the idea of Rimmer's hoogram though, especially if it did mean Chris having to work seperately as I think that would take away from the dynamic of the cast. But maybe a little thing now and again to serve as a 'reminder' that Rimmer isn't really real; for example if he were to catch a 'holocold' or something and then flicker into black and white every time he sneezed or changed his language setting or something equally random.

I just really really really REALLY hope there will be a new series!!!!

6. Kit_Cat

Kit_Cat Third Technician

I agree with this one, alot of story lines have focused on Lister and on Rimmer, and a couple on Kryton, the Cat definatly deserves his turn in the lime light! I acctually dreampt a Cat people story, it'd be excellent as an episode! (I'd be happy to share it, if it'd make it happen)

7. luckyluke1511

luckyluke1511 Skutter

Well Cat does get his central story in Identify Within, the never-filmed episode of Series 7. It's on the Series 7 DVD if you're interested.

8. Kit_Cat

Kit_Cat Third Technician

Everyone keeps talking about these never seen episodes :-( I have never seen them, I never brought all the seperate DVDs because I wanted to wait and get the whole lot together in a box set, unfortunately- no extras. grrr!!