RDXII What if Red Dwarf ENDED?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Eddiebadassdavis, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Catering Officer Warned

well for me the boys Lister Rimmer Cat and Kryten find themselves back on
    earth with there bags packed and ready to go,
    which if this happens thanks Doug that could be a very good ending for Red Dwarf.

BUT IT TURNS OUT TO BE A VR GAME. SMEG!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Isn't this what happened in Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  3. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Is this what happened in Back to Reality?

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah that happened in the book, Eddie. I always thought that would have made a brilliant film!

Asclepius likes this.
  5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

And it's "their" not "there" ...........

Ant E likes this.
  6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

He’s only a wee lad!!!!

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers had the crew think they got back to earth but it turned out they were in BTL all along, while Back To Reality had them waking up in a VR machine having the whole Red Dwarf Experience be a computer game...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    BigOleDummy likes this.
  8. BigOleDummy

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I hope to never see an "ending" and I don't necessarily think the show needs one. Earth isn't there anymore for all intents and purposes. At least not in a recognizable relatable form so there's no real need to "go back". In fact this point has always been sort of a "thing" with me. Just WHY is Dave so intent on returning to Earth? In some corner of his mind he MUST know that even if Earth is still viable and populated there would be no place at all for him. A zoo maybe for everyone to come gawk at.

I just don't think we need "closure" with the Dwarfers. I'm perfectly happy envisioning them tootling around the Universe until the end of their days.

Eddiebadassdavis likes this.
  9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I'm sure he does know, in fact that much is touched on in Dear Dave IIRC. I think he just needs a goal and getting "home" even if he knows it's realistically completely unattainable is it. It's sort of covered in the books that after he's awoken he completely goes to pieces and he needs Rimmer and to set himself that aim to pull himself together and stop him from drinking himself to death in a small lake's worth of whiskey.

I agree though that I don't think the show needs a definitive end and I'm not completely sure I'd want it to happen anyway. I just imagine that they'll carry ever onwards and eventually old age, disease, accident or attack will catch up with them and honestly I don't feel I need to see that.

10. BigOleDummy

Exactly! I don't want or need to see that either. Let them just ride out their lives in the Dwarf and after a certain point I don't need to see or know anymore. To me they will always be just out there having a laugh.

And yes, I know what you mean about having a destination too. But with 3 million years in deep space behind them already .......... why not have as a destination a different point? Like searching for Cats people? But getting back to Earth is a viable choice. Lol, I don't get why he's so hung up on searching for Kochanski for that matter :redface:

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Well I guess he's already had a glimpse of what the cat people turned in to and in any case they also have no real idea of where to even begin looking and if not there then where else? Titan or Mimas is as near as makes any difference the same distance. To find the rest of the crew (Assuming that simulants didn't eat them or the virus dissolve them) would make sense, except he's also had a taste of how they'd treat him and probably isn't keen on a return to the brig.

As for Kochanski, she's the one that get away, the unrequited idealised love of his life, I don't know about you but I've certainly got a figure from my past I'd put on a similar pedestal even knowing that my idealised rose tinted view of her probably wasn't even what she was like back when we knew each other never mind now. I'm also not that convinced he is all that hung up on searching for her now, she barely got a mention in the last few series and even then it was mostly in passing. The feeling I've got is that at this stage the trails gone cold and he's accepted that, at least for now, unless he happens to come across her or something solid indicating where she'd gone.

Earth at least is a fixed point (Relatively speaking) and should at least physically still exist even if it's unrecognisable, maybe part of it is that he does know deep down that it's an unattainable goal so will never be disappointed by the reality failing to live up to the fantasy. And they can have a few laughs on the way back to Fiji.

12. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

My thought was always: the guys reaching earth, checking it out, being disappointed and smegging off again in the Dwarf to continue their space adventures forever ...

Mardroid and BigOleDummy like this.
  13. BigOleDummy

Yeah, I do too. It just got a little tedious to me and I can't seem to quit harping on it. Lol, believe it or not I think part (at least) of my "problem" with Kochanski is the fact that they used Chole instead of Claire when they really had some meaty parts for her. I just liked Claire better. Plus I think Claire is absolutely gorgeous :redface:.

That's true of course and I can only hope we've seen the last of her. Unless ...... they bring Claire back ;-):-D

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The problem for me is I just can't see that happening. I'm conflating the characteristics slightly of the Lister from the novels and the early episodes, but I just think that unless Earth was completely, hopelessly inhospitable he'd try to find Fiji and make a go of it. Even if it meant farming cockroaches.

15. BigOleDummy

Yeah, I could live with that.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

There's definitely nothing to be :redface: about liking Claire Grogan IMO. But, and I say this fully understanding the backlash that may ensue, except for visually she really wasn't a great Kochanski. She had a handful of lines throughout Red Dwarf and her delivery in those really wasn't great. My personal feeling is that whilst Series VII-VIII Kochanski wasn't great or was perhaps more charitably was a missed opportunity, Chloe Annette did a good job with the material she had and it was that which was at fault far more than her and that to be fair given the opportunity Claire Grogan would not have done a worse rather than a better job.

(Duck and Cover)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    BigOleDummy and Paul Taylor like this.
  17. BigOleDummy

Duck and Cover INDEED!!!! :lol:

I do kind of agree with you though. Ms. Annette is a fine actor and did a very good job. Its a "me" thing I guess, as every single time she was on screen all I could think of was/is WHY the heck didn't they bring back Claire for this! Truth be told, I actually though that Ms. Grogan played a more ......... how to say this ........ Dave friendly Kochanski. She seemed more down to earth ....... more working class maybe is what I'm looking for. I could "see" her Chrissie with Dave more than I could "see" Ms. Annette's. In real life I don't think the Kochanski as played by Chole would even look at Dave much less date him. Besides like I said......... I'm totally smitten with Claire NOT that that would have ANYTHING to do with it of course :roll::roll::roll:

Paul Taylor and Simonr1978 like this.
  18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

If I could combine Annette as an actor with Grogan's "Girl Next Door" charm I think that would make the ideal Kochanski. I have to draw a bit of an issue though with the idea that Grogan was inherently more working class. We see and hear very, very little from her. Literally the only thing you can draw from Grogan's execution of Kochanski's lines is that she's supposed to be Scottish.

19. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I would love to see some kind of closure for the characters. Imagining the Dwarfers just living out the rest of their lives aimlessly on Red Dwarf until they die seems extremely depressing to me, and not a fitting ending.

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

To me it seems less depressing having them striving for a goal than reaching some sort of compromise, either Earth but not not as they imagine it or a "This'll do" planetoid. Let Lister have his dream of Kochanski on a white horse in Fiji, even if we all know it'll never happen...