RDXII What if Red Dwarf ENDED?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Eddiebadassdavis, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm sure Dave says in one of the early episodes (may have been 'Future Echoes') that he doesn't care what the Earth is like now, he just has to know. I think that makes sense from the point of view of a man drifting through space millions of years in the future.

Lister basically has two long-term goals; getting back to Earth and finding Kochanski. It seems unlikely, given his current situation, that anything more pressing will change those goals. On a ship with a crew of four, he's not likely to abandon those dreams in favour of setting up a tailoring business or getting a job as a bank clerk and working his way up the vocational ladder. For now, the show just needs him to not be lacking any hope, so that he continues his steady journey through the cosmos having adventures. An end to the whole thing doesn't have to involve achieving those goals, it could be anything at all. Perhaps Lister will find out Kochanski has met someone else with whom She's very happy, and move on from that dream, maybe finding someone new himself. Perhaps the crew will find humanity has abandoned Earth to the rat people, and set themselves up somewhere else. Satisfying endings to stories like Lister's are rarely what the character hopes or aims for. But an ending is still an ending, and who needs it to end? I'm now grateful for every extra series we get, but I wouldn't mind if it's left where it is. But I don't think I'd want a definitive ending now.

I have someone like that. I met up with her in November last year for the first time in seventeen years. We've been an item since new year. She's more amazing now than ever. My memories and dreams didn't do her justice.:-) :redface: ;-)

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

All the best to you. For me the reality thanks to Facebook has unfortunately become "Bullet dodged", from both sides I'm sure. It still doesn't change the whole "If I could turn the clock back, if I had my farm on Fiji....." but that aside, I salute you and wish you both all the best.

100% Agree. Sometimes a fade to grey is better than a cut to black.

3. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

Yeah i got learning disablites

4. Eddiebadassdavis

Only Human would have made a brilliant film Rimmer dies at the end
    Lister and Kotchanski are together again,
    Lister reboots the human race and a happy ending.

5. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

What about the Book "Better than loaf"? Would that have made a good film?

Simonr1978 likes this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I hate people, who say Kotchanski instead of Kochanski.

Abe and Eddiebadassdavis like this.
  7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

IMHO due to the fact that what everyone thought was the ending to RD at the end of series 8 was although quite emotional but ultimately dreadful, there is no real point in a definitive ending now and it is best for Doug to keep writing new series and finishing them with a sort of ending that The Beginning and Skipper were. Even if a true end was okay in my eyes which I somehow doubt it would have to please everyone which I doubt even more.

Asclepius likes this.
  8. ldsbonweb1

ldsbonweb1 Third Technician

This is what I think. Lister is logical if he is still searching for Earth. What would you do? Honestly? Sounds like good goal to me. And I think, especially for a guy like him, Lister proved an amazing mental strainght. That is why I can't understand BTE. I can't believe he was so bad that he made Kochansky run away to be completely alone in space rather then staying on Red Dwarf. Who would go in a smal shutle, completely alone in space? Or have I missed something? And crew sometimes behaves like it's not a big deal to be 3 mil years from their time. When I think about end of RD I can se Lister and Cat are long gone and Rimmer is alone with Kryten. Or maybe Lister and Kochansky eventualy get a child and we folow it's story. Or something like in the books... Lister dies, they send him to backwards universe. Why wouldn't they just stay on some habitable planet? But if you look at it... Lister is now half of hes life on Red Dwarf. I think he sees it like home just as Earth now. And Cat only knows about Red dwarf as home. So it can all stay as it is and be just fine.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

SPOILERS ALERT (although I don’t suppose that matters in this part of the forum:-(

Lister didn’t make Kochanski leave. She chose to, due to his self-destructive spiral. In fact he thought she had died!

10. ldsbonweb1

Before he thought so. Just remember bus scene in BTE. I just don't think BTE is good connection betwen old and new series at all. Do not think I don't like it. It was dream come true but I don't expect definite conclusion to RD anymore. And I am fine with it.

Ps
    Lister had some chance with her but he just smeged it all up. :-) :-)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

He kinda did without knowing: it was his behaviour that made her leave ...

Eddiebadassdavis likes this.
  12. Eddiebadassdavis

Sounds cool

13. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

And BTE makes people rise from the dead... Maybe it wasn't so bad after all. :-S

14. ldsbonweb1

Who said it was bad? It only makes Lister look bad. :-)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  15. TongueTiedMateyBoy

TongueTiedMateyBoy Third Technician

I always enjoyed the idea of t'dwarfers reaching Earth with Lister bidding an emotional farewell to the others as he wants to stay behind.

16. Collectotron

Collectotron Skutter

Honestly I can see the final episode of Red Dwarf being along the lines of The beginning and Skipper where it’s an ending but more could be added although if there is some reason that it would 100% be the final episode then I could see it ending with a Backwards styled Star Wars text explaining what happened after

Eddiebadassdavis and ldsbonweb1 like this.
  17. Eddiebadassdavis

quite like this idea. WE GOT A WINNER

18. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

The forum owner has spoken.

Asclepius and Eddiebadassdavis like this.