What if Scenario: Red Dwarf Novelizations?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ajrimmer2012, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ajrimmer2012

ajrimmer2012 Third Technician

As you may - or may not know - I'm a big fan of both Red Dwarf and Doctor Who. And one of my fave Doctor Who merchandise items are the Doctor Who Novelizations of the episodes.

Now, I know Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life are considered to be the definitive story of Dave Lister, Arnold Rimmer, The Cat and Kryten but would anyone like to have the episodes in Novelization form and - if there's anyone on this forum that's good at illustating - what would you have liked the covers to look like?

Ideas, views and comments welcome... :-)

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Do you mean covering the series as it is in novel form, bearing in mind the novels include stuff from the episodes too?

I prefer my novels to cover different stuff. I don't really want to read stuff I've seen already.

I know that the current novels still do that to some extent, but they still brought new things to their story as well as tying everything together so it had a less 'stand-alone' feel.

I would be happy to buy a new Red Dwarf novel, although I think Last Human tied up Doug Naylor's arc quite well as it was. If we do, I think it should be in the same vein as the novels we've had before, preferably with an emphasis on new material.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

....also, are you aware of Rob Grant's novel Backwards and Doug Naylor's novel The Last Human. Both also a part of the "definitive story of Dave Lister, Arnold Rimmer, The Cat and Kryten".

4. ajrimmer2012

ajrimmer2012 Third Technician

I am aware that both Backwards and Last Human are also part of the definitive story, too. But my idea/ thought was doing seperate books focusing on the seperate episode in question, as the Doctor Who episodes did in the Target Novelization range.

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I was just checking. It was only recently that I discovered the existence of Backwards...and then felt like an idiot when everybody else said "....erm yeah. Read it years ago! What about it!?"

My personal opinion is that I prefer my novels to take the format IWCD and BTL took. The episodes are there in the story, but run alongside and merge into each other making it all one complete tale. It's nice to keep the TV episodes isolated the way they do. Avoiding the longer story arc makes it easier for people to jump into the show and means you don't feel obliged to watch all of them in any particular order. But for a novel, it doesn't need to make this 'episodic' approach.

But, as ever, those are just my thoughts.