What if......

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by stephypops, Oct 22, 2009.

1. stephypops

stephypops Catering Officer

Just thought I would get people thinking here of where storylines would have gone if things had occurred differently in the episodes.
    Examples:

If Lister had actually died in Epideme would he had been brought back as a Hologram? If so, how would he cope with his death? Remember Rimmer hated it that he was dead, that he was made up of light and couldn't experience things like pleasure, taste of food, touch etc...

Or if Rimmer was present throughout the whole of Series 7 but with Kochanski there too, how would they all get on together?

Any one got any 'what ifs' or any comments on my random ideas let me know! :-)

Additional: If any of these ideas have been portrayed in the deleted scenes etc etc on the dvds I do apologise as I haven't managed to watch any of the deleted scenes yet!

2. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Are you asking these questions from a story point of view or a real life point of view? For example:

From a story point of view, I'd question whether they had the ABILITY to create a new hologram while in Starbug. The hologram discs were on Red Dwarf, of course. On the second hand, from a real life point of view, they can do anything they can do anything they want, and could easily make up some technobabble explanation about why it was possible to make a Lister hologram on Starbug, if they wanted to. On the third hand (??) in real life they didn't WANT to kill Lister, so it couldn't have happened.

I'm going to assume the question is being asked from a story point of view, and opine that Lister would have stayed dead because they had no choice. We never hear anyone say otherwise, even to cheer him up.

He'd be really smegged off about it.

No, he could experience food (remember the hologrammatic fried egg and chili chutney sandwich). And he could touch any hologrammatic objects Holly created, just not real objects. He might have liked it better. He could eat hologrammatic curry all day without getting fat or spending 6 hours in the loo.

Well, let's just say that she wouldn't be saying "Rimmer, go have sex with someone" any more.

Additional: If any of these ideas have been portrayed in the deleted scenes etc etc on the dvds I do apologise as I haven't managed to watch any of the deleted scenes yet!

3. stephypops

You can interpret the question any way you want, it makes the replies all the more interesting lol!

I am just watching episode 3 of series 7 and realised that in another dimension Lister is a Hologram and Kochanski is alive hence her appearance in the series to begin with, such a school boy error :-(

They probably could make up science babble to explain how they created a hologram with no discs from the RD ship I suppose so that is plausible.

My mistake with my comments about Rimmer and his hologramatic abilities. I do remember the sandwich from Thanks for the Memory now, whoops! I think my point was more so getting at the fact that he couldn't experience the human senses etc, but you are right about the eating curries all day and not getting the human after effects, brilliant, he was a right lucky smegger and the miserable git just moaned about being dead all the time! :lol:

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I don't see where the "error" is. Parallel Lister was revived as a hologram in exactly the same way Rimmer was in "our" dimension. i.e after the accident on Red Dwarf. Why wouldn't they have had Lister's disk?

5. stephypops

Ah yes...I see your point here however I have these quirky ideas, I run with them on the forum and then I do tend to look silly when people find flaws in my logic lol :-)

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

If Rimmer had been about during Series VII, no doubt he'd become Kryten's partner in crime in bitching about her. Kryten feels threatend that she'll take Lister away from him, wheras Rimmer is threatend that she'll usurp what little authority and command he has over the crew. Cat and Lister would be far more willing to take orders from Officer Budbabe then they would Goalpost Head.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yet ironically despite not liking it I think Rimmer would be most likely to take her commands, should she pull rank.

8. stephypops

Yeah I think he probably would respect her as she actually knows her astro navigation stuff so to speak! :-)

9. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

But the fact is Rimmer doesn't like her, as established back in 'Balance of Power'. He will blindly follow her orders because he respects all that officer smeg, but there's no doubt in my mind he'd try to undermine her authority every chance he got. He's been the acting commander (well, in his own eyes) of Red Dwarf and Starbug for the past 4 or 5 years, then all of a sudden this posh Scottish bimbo comes along and takes away his little power trip.

I believe we see Rimmer's reaction to this sort of situation in 'The Last Human'.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That's what I was basing my statement on too. And I agree, that he'd he'd complain and undermine her while obeying her. I wasn't arguing against your statement, just adding another.

Kochanski was never a bimbo though (unless we the count mirrorverse version), although Rimmer might want to refer to her as that. I'd think he would be more likely to accuse her of snobbery though (although he wouldn't be quite right there either.) .

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Not in the sense of CP Grogan's Kochanski perhaps but almost certainly in the sense of Chloe Annett's Kochanski who is most definately established as a snob.