What is Classic Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by simulant37, Aug 17, 2013.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

According to this thread Classic Dwarf is - from Series I (1988.) through to Back to Earth (2009). Really? Is this what constitutes Classic Dwarf? Putting aside personal likes/dislikes wouldn't Classic Dwarf be 1 - 6, the series with the original writers & original cast? Or is Classic Dwarf only series 1 - 2, prior to the introduction of Kryten as a regular in series 3? :?

2. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

Classic Dwarf Could be devided into eras:

1987/1988 Era- The Manchester/Blue Midget Norman Lovett as Holly Era
    1989/1990 Era- The Officer's Quaters Era/ Reintroduction of Kryten Era
    1991/1993 Era- The Golden Age Departure of Rob Grant and Doug Naylor Era
    1997/1999 Era- The CGI Era

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's not 1-2. Most definitions I've come across of the Classic Era are either 1-6 or 3-6.

I suppose those who don't think much of series 6 (and there are quite a few of them out there) might even define the Classic Era as 1-5 or 3-5.

4. Kyleooooh

Kyleooooh Skutter

First 7 series in my opinion are the classic era ( not a popular opinion but i dont think 7 is any weaker than the first 6 series it's just different).Back To Earth i enjoy but it's far from being Red Dwarf at it's very best and Series X was not as good as the classic era of the show but still was very good indeed.

5. BadWolf117

nah its Series 1-6 as Classic Dwarf

7 and 8 dont count as they are the downfall of Dwarf

BTE is more a pilot for the New Dwarf

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I would agree series 1-6 are classic Dwarf but I am very fond of 7 and feel it's unjustly maligned. When I speak of 'classic' I'm thinking more of the age and feel of the show rather than the quality as I like 7 as much as previous series.

7. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I would expect CLASSIC to denote age to something. So I think that 1-6 can be accurately described as CLASSIC.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

As far as delineating the forum is concerned, "Classic Dwarf" means "everything but the most recent series". It's so that there can be a handy discussion place for whatever series might be currently/most recently running that people who haven't yet seen it can steer completely clear of, while still being able to talk about the show elsewhere.

Think of it as a similar distinction to the one between "Classic Doctor Who" and "New Doctor Who". Nobody would try to argue that The Twin Dilemma is a "classic", nor that Blink isn't one, but the distinction is chronological, not qualitative.

9. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I always thought Classic Dwarf was from series 1-6. Though I could be wrong.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me personally it's 3-6. In these four series, we have the full acting team of Barrie, Charles, John-Jules and Llewellyn and the writing partnership of Grant and Naylor.

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I see. Part of the reason I see 1 - 6 as Classic Dwarf is that there was a significant gap (& change in style) between 6 & 7 similar to, but nowhere near as big, as the gap betwixt Classic Who & New Who.

12. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've always thought of 'Classic Dwarf' from Series 1-8, before the long hiatus and move to Dave.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

How do you come to that conclusion when this is the first post?

14. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

I think he means that there is a section for Classic Dwarf, and a section for Series X, which implies that Classic Dwarf is everything before X.

I was puzzling over this this morning. The dictionary reckons that "classic" things are ones to which later versions are compared. If this is the case... Nothing later than Series V gets my vote for classic.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I had no idea that the terminology of two different sections of the forum would cause this much heated debate.

Again: the use of "classic" in this sense is not a qualitative judgement, it just means "Red Dwarf that isn't current". If it bothers people that much, I'll change the description!

16. BadWolf117

ahem Series VI:-D

17. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

Ah... it may just be me but I don't think VI is quite classic. Something to do with the lack of Holly, perhaps the lack of the small rouge one...