What Let You Down About BTE???

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Legion91, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jsminch

jsminch Skutter

What let me down? Whiny, petulant, nit-picky, know-it-all, insulting, petty, tasteless, sniping smeg-heads that signed up on this forum solely for the purpose of criticizing BTE.

Why do you ask?

2. saxon101

saxon101 Skutter

Everything. It was tosh. I waited 10 years for that?

3. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

Sounds as if you're reviewing the last time you had sex. etc etc.

4. tyleralexander

tyleralexander Skutter

I thought it was ok, but it should have had a studio audience, because it was like tradition. And I liked the way it blended with Bladerunner! :lol:

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

It was too short. Too smegging short. I wish it has been a full series so they could pad out the show and make it better. Not that it already wasn't good enough, though.

6. Smegzilla

Smegzilla Skutter

Not an awful lot to be honest.

The only thing I found cringe-inducing was the segment with the kids on the bus. It's a little more watchable second or third time around but I still find myself wanting to skip that section and move on.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I sometimes react to kids on tv like that. Not this time though. I thought they acted well, they were quite funny and what they said concerning Kochanski was intriguing.

The rather long scene with Rimmer going into panic mode over a blot he might or might not have seen and the slapstick bit at the end made me feel like cringing, but from what I've seen on here that was some people's favourite bits! Just goes to show how all our tastes differ. Which isn't to say I don't find some silly humour funny. The mental image of Lister jumping up and down 'trying to catch a breeze' cracked me up. (Although it was a bit cringeworthy too, but in a completely different way.)

8. neilntn

neilntn Skutter

Sorry Mr. Naylor, but this BTE was CRAP.
    Lame story--cheap way to advertise DVDs.
    No laugh track
    Poor actors--Swallow and Creator.
    Same story--squid again.
    Resorting to immature sexual organ jokes.
    No series continuity.
    No I see why the BBC rejected it.
    Sorry, but this was a HUGE disappointment.
    Total crap.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Fair enough. entitled to your opinion, although you could phrase it better.

The DVDs made complete sense considering the 'real world' (sort of) storyline. And it's not like we saw many of the DVD covers that clearly apart from the BtE one (which they might not even use.) We know there are Red Dwarf DVDs so it's not much of a revelation.

Not a big deal after first episode for me.

These two, though were caricatures, directly riffing a couple of characters in Blade Runner. The Creator was rather cheesy, but it made sense to me considering parody and the twist at the end.

Apart from the twist at the end and the squid (which granted are quite biggies) , I'd say the plots are quite different. In BtR they're miserable and on the run. In this they're seeking out their creator. It's quite close to the Replicants thread in Blade Runner if anything, except you could say Blade Runner follows most detective film noir storylines too; follow the clues from people until you find the target.

I'll admit, I guessed what was happening from the start because of the squid, but I'm not against reusing a past monster. Another proof it's in continuity too. See ahead*

There was one that I can remember. Two if you count the botty washing gag (which I found very funny.)

*There were gaps certainly, but it's still in continuity with past series. We just don't know what happened. Which makes sense considering the limited timeframe they had. If it were out of continuity it would discount events of the past. In fact this episode went out of it's way to reference past episodes.

Most stuff you've said is subject to opinion but this is based on nothing at all. This story was written recently. It's hardly likely the BBC knew the story is it?

Fair enough. I disliked some bits myself (although there was a lot I liked too.) Too each his own and all that jazz.

You should have just left it with the last comment especially as you said this at the start already.

10. Robbyuno

Robbyuno Third Technician

Main thing that let me down about BtE was the critics reaction. There were a few positive reviews, but the majority of the ones I read seemed to slate it.

Normally I wouldn't care what the reviewers say about anything, but I am desperately hoping for more RD, so I wanted there to be some critical acclaim.

Hopefully the critics won't have any major impact, viewing figures and DVD sales are bound to be more of an issue in terms of future programming, but still it does grate.

Sure it wasn't perfect, and I didn't get the Bladerunner references not having seen the film, but overall I thought it was good, and the ending left me keen to see more. Especially if it's back to the original premise of just a few characters on the ship.

11. Da_Box

Da_Box Skutter

Ok i'll totally hold my hands and admit i wouldnt have thought about posting on a red dwarf forum before the new episodes. That said the show was a huge part of teen years and i have never forgotton it, even now i use old red dwarf jokes and try to pass them off as my own though if it gets a laugh i'll own up straight away. Got all the dvd's and one of the most enjoyable things about watching them is being able to remember watching it the first time on tv. All im trying to say is i might not normally post on a forum about it but dont think for a second that im not a big fan.

So back to earth

Loved it for a lot of reasons, some of them just for simple ones like watching the opening title at the start and the excitement of not knowing what is going to happen.

There is only one thing that let me down and im very surprised its not been mentioned here.

At the end of series 8 rimmer was screwed. Massively. The ship was falling to bits and the rest of the crew had evacuated through the mirror to the parallel universe. Rimmer proceeds to knee death in the nuts and then the credits rolled. Classic cliffhanger. Not one mention of it since, I mean WTF????? Am i the only person who thinks its a bit strange this has been completely ignored?

12. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

In a nutshell:
    It was too derivative for its own good. I mean, my god at times I thought I was watching a remake of Blade Runner with Red Dwarf characters. There's such a thing as influence sure, but when entire scenes and settings are plucked out from that "influence", I think that goes a little beyond inspiration/influence. Another poster compared these specials to those Wayan's Brothers films (ie. Scary Movie). Harsh! I'm guessing he/she was using hyperbole to illustrate a point. And to that end I can see where he/she was coming from.

Those scenes didn't really work for me. And by "those scenes" I mean the ones with "Swallow" and the creator/Tyrell. The photo-zooming one was brilliant and hilarious. That's because that scene made fun of one little scene of Blade Runner with a perfect amount of tact and it worked for moving the plot along (but "Wouldn't it have been quicker to have just used the phone book?" LOL). The reason why the other ones did not work for me, is because it felt less like genuine Dwarf and far more like mimicry and therefore ultimately, a little superficial. Which makes for a somewhat larger disappointment than you'd at first think. Because with all the creativity and imagination in that brain of his, Doug Naylor gave us an "homage" to Blade Runner? After 10 years?! Come on Doug, we're fans of YOUR stuff, no need to show us "Blade Runner: redone".

So there's that. Then there's this: (which I admit seems trivial, but grated on me over and over)
    "This is too weird for words." :evil: Why? Why was this line repeated so many times?! I'm not being rhetorical here...Could somebody please tell me?

13. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

Your views about BTE belong in the threads at the top of the page. There called Back to Earth shockingly

14. Robbyuno

Robbyuno Third Technician

@ DaBox...I can relate (man) to everything you just said, being a long time fan but not having been inspired to post on forums...etc...

Anyhoo, the Rimmer that appeared destined for certain death at the end of Series 8 was the resurrected Rimmer, ie a real person. The Rimmer in BtE is a Hologram. I'm not one to speculate on plotlines and stuff usually, so I won't. One thing though, I really wish that they had used the original endingrather than the one they did end up using.

15. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

That IS shocking! Wouldn't that mean this entire thread should be in that thread? Thank you so much for pointing this out to me stevenrankin...It's hard for me to use a message board when I OBVIOUSLY don't know how to read! Now when I got to "logout", what link do you suppose I click on? hmm?

Smeghead.

16. theronds

theronds Skutter

Having watched all three episode's I'm now in two minds. I think that the writers, production team and Dave have tried to come up with a happy meduim with the available budget, deadline and at the same time trying to make sense of the story line for the fans. In many ways i was dissapointed mainly because i wanted more I'm so used to the crew going off on a one episode adventure that stringing three together was to much to bare. Some of the CGI was not needed like the scutter i would of much preferred one of the remote models like in the earlier series which for me is part of the essence of Red Dwarf. I grew up on it from the eighties and it was the writing and chemistry of the actors that made Red Dwarf what it is and not the effects. I loved the fact that when ever one of the cast used a piece of kit whether it was a vending machine or a scanner of some kind it was always some old pc keyboard they were hacking at. We the viewer knew the set had just been glued together with what ever the set builders could find at the the time and looking back now we also know that we have far more furturistic technology at our command as thats what gave Red Dwarf its down to earth quality. It was never going to be Star Trek or Star Wars because that was'nt what Red Dwarf was about it was about a space bum going about daily life with his mates in a space ship that had less tech than my Vauxhall Astra. I would love to see another series i think the guys have what it takes to do it but they should concentrate on the writing that made Red Dwarf what it is and not the aesthitic's the real fans of the show would appritiate it.

Please forgive my spelling and grammer I'm crap

17. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I liked BTE, just not the 22 mins run time of each episode or whatever it was. It might only be about 6 mins difference per episode compared to the older ones, but i really noticed it.

18. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Just on the CGI skutter subject, in series 8 the model skutters costed £35,000 or something each! So it was either £35,000 model skutters or a copy of the script for the vis-fx guy, you do the maths.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

part 2...