What little changes would you make for the next series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by naranja, Nov 25, 2017.

1. naranja

naranja Skutter

I’d like to see Lister start to wear a bit less leather. I know it’s his iconic look but maybe tone it down a bit. Maybe bring in the boiler suit look from around series 7? I also would like to see him just wearing t shirts for casual wear rather than always the leather.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

*Rob Grant back to Co-write (i know that won't happen)
    *Less call backs
    *Better editing and pacing of the jokes
    *Better story pacing (sometimes less is more)

3. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

1 - Holly (Norman) back for a whole series, and give him the humour of series 1, 2 and that brief bit of 12! He always worked best like that. I loved the way he started each episode off in series 1 and 2, which was one of the reasons I used to love Red Dwarf so much back in the day. Probably not going to happen, but hey I can dream!
    2 - Less call backs! I agree with talkie. Call backs are okay but when they keep coming back it just gets annoying. Apart from Holly I don't want to see anything from the old series. No Danny with bucket teeth, no Chris with floppy hair, no old crew members turning up all of a sudden. Just how it should be... four guys (five with Holly) stuck on a huge ship drifting through space.
    3 - More dialogue, less 'aliens'. I know there are no real aliens in RD (which is one thing I have always loved about the show), but I'd like more episodes like Mechocracy where it's just internal affairs and nothing more.
    4 - More trips around the ship to places we haven't been.
    5 - The guys back in their old bunk room, like was seen in series 12.
    6 - No end episode! Leave us all guessing, we don't want to see Lister in Fiji, or dying in old age. We want our imaginations to take over!

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. I didn't dislike the callbacks of this series, but there were a lot. They should be toned down next series.
    If by aliens you are referring to the substitutes, gelfs and simulants, there were none at all in series XII. All the guest stars in this series played humans, or androids of some kind. (Okay, I guess the mechanoids of Siliconia definitely qualify as 'rogue droids' as they certainly have gone rogue from their original programming, and simulants are rogue droids of a kind too, but I think you'll agree they did something very different with them. )Oh, and a couple of computers featured. I actually hope we get at least a couple of monster episodes next series, although I hope they do something original with them. A new kind of gelf from those resembling the Kinitawowi, would be nice. (I'm including Beggs here, though they are different enough from the Kinitawowi, but in the end are still big hairy humanoid things.)

I do like the character stuff with the lads from Red Dwarf however. That should remain an intrinsic part of the show, but I do love the sci-fi and monsters as well. A series with a nice mixture of episodes would be good. I guess we kind of got that this series, although the types of episodes were sequenced together. (i.e. First three episodes, off ship. Last three on ship.) I hope thye mix things up a bit. E.g. an episode on, a couple off, a couple on... etc. Granted there are just six episodes to play with.

One thing I did get a bit tired of was the 'ship/station' of the week thing that occurred in 3 episodes of this and last series. I'm not sure how that can be rectified if we don't want all episodes to be Dwarf based though. Something involving a colony, somewhere maybe.

I hope we get to see what became of three million years future Earth at some point too. I'm not saying they should stay there, but I'd like to see what became of it.

Novels and movie script spoilers:
    Did Earth become the Garbage World of the novels or the prime base of cybernetic entities, like unmade film? (I guess Homo Sapienoids could translate to simulants in the series, although their description is a bit different, the first being an evolution of humankind, while the latter essentially being droids with flesh parts. While Sapienoids could be brought into the series, I fear they'll be criticised as Cybermen/borg rip-offs.)

Does Earth remain under control of M-Corp? What happened to the population? (There is no reason to believe it is, just from the events of M-Corp, incidentally. A lot could have happened after the century when M-Corp reigned supreme. Three million years is a long time, and The Dwarfers are just catching up with a bit of what happened.

Did the Cat refugees get there first? There could be an interesting story there. Lets see some more Cat characters anyway. We've only met three so far, including our own, and one of those was not actually a Cat.

5. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

doesnt really matter if M-Corp took over Earth, since most people were living on Mimas and Io and other such places in the future

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think thats one of the mistakes Doug does with the show now days he answers too many question by trying to be cool.

When you talk about future earth it probably should be left a mystery rather then saying that M-Corp took over earth since you can only imagine earth went to smeg after that.

I know in the novel they say earth become garbage world but still.

7. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

- I would like a little more sense of direction or purpose. At least in Series X, Lister mentioned Kochanski a bit, meaning that we knew he was still thinking about trying to get her. Series XI and XII seemed too directionless.

- An explanation of what happened after Series VIII would still be very appreciated.

- Better editing, and more different pieces of incidental, time passing music.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Series 1-2 Holly returns. Not stupid, just dour and eccentric.
    Less crowds. The whole point is that it's a post-apocalyptic void.
    Less ship-of-the-week and more life onboard stories.
    Less Kryten explaining everything about everything.
    Kryten to stay the same size instead of ballooning every series.
    Episodes paced better, no abrupt endings.
    Less jokes about how stupid Cat is.
    No tortured attempts at rhyming sentences with female anatomy.
    More references to the overall story. Are they still pointing towards Earth, are they still looking for Kochanski.

9. Friaser Crane

Friaser Crane Third Technician

Lister really needs a brother to sort of play off. It worked wonders in hit TV show Fraiser. Fraisers brother Niles was a break out character I feel.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Lister does have brothers. (Or he might as well have, practically speaking, in terms of their playing off each other, etc. ) They're called 'Rimmer' and 'Cat'. I was going to include Kryten but apparently Kryten is his mum.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. What about the important map Hoagie stole from the simulants in The Beginning? I was hoping that would be utilised at some point. Or maybe it already has considering the amount of bases and ships they're finding, but it would be nice if it had a more direct role in a story.

Actually I'd kinda like a a tory arc over the series too. Keep the episodes more or less self contained stories (I'm not suggesting the series be one long multipart story, although done right, that could be interesting) but an ongoing thread through the series as seen in series VI and VII (get back to Red Dwarf) and (to a lesser extent) X (find Kochanski. Well she's mentioned a couple of times, at least ) would be nice.

11. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Actually, I could do without that part personally. I tend to look at Red Dwarf as a short story collection as opposed to a novel, to put it in literary terms, anyway. The same way you can pick up a book of short stories and just choose one to read, with R.D. you can just pull one up and watch it without having to know any "backstory" about that particular episode. Get's rid of the continuity problems that way.

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I would like a cold opening with Holly doing an SOS, that leads into the montage with the rocky guitar (I think that was how they did the remastereds?).

I would like them to move away from free-standing plasma screens and back to monitors embedded in walls and consoles.

I would also like the show to explore some sci-fi tropes it hasn't already touched. Circular time-travel, time-travel to iconic periods of history, predicting the future, false realities, alternative or parallel universes and cloning are all pretty well-served. How about:

An Indiana Jones in Space story. The Dwarfers discover a ruined temple on a planetoid, which hints at the existence of a lost alien civilisation. The dénouement is comical and preserves the No Aliens rule.

A Trouble with Tribbles story. Some kind of multiplying creature is produced in the lab and causes havoc.

A Lost World story. It's revealed that the Dwarfers haven't been to floor 82 because Holly's sensors never regained contact with it after the disaster, and there was a chance that it was unsafe. However, they decide to mount an expedition there to get something. They discover that, over the last three million years, the ship gardens have overgrown and turned the whole level into a jungle, complete with giant insects.

A floating around story. The artificial gravity goes on the blink.

A scary ghost story. The Dwarfers experience a series of hauntings, which turn out to have a non-paranormal explanation.

A Tron story. The Dwarfers have been in video games before, but what about a total immersion game that's actually like a video game, rather than a realistic simulation?

As I read these over, they all seem a bit crap. I guess it's hard to think of sci-fi tropes that are a good fit for Dwarf but haven't been done!

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

My suspicion is this would still end up as some kind of circular time travel story.
    It's hard to see how this wouldn't invite too many comparisons with TWT. However, funny rubbery 'gremlin' type things might work out.

Probably a little over budget constraints. Love the idea though.

I like all of these ideas. The show is falling into the habit of repeating its own limited set of formulae.

14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I really like the Lost World idea. I'm not sure but I think there was a mention that Red Dwarf did have a garden deck? They wouldn't even need to say Holly lost contact with it. The ship's so big I'd accept there were floors they just never went to.

I also like the artificial gravity idea. This is something that is seldom ever referred to in scifi, mainly because of the logistics of presenting it I imagine. How would they do it, would they use cables and then CGI the cables out?

FeeBee likes this.
  15. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Botanical garden is mentioned in The End. I like this idea, @HO HO HO I'M JMC.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

Doug said he'd love to include the botanical garden, if it fit in the budget.

Asclepius likes this.
  17. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

An episode like the film Silent Running would be great!

18. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Great Movie!