What series 10 needs...........

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've watched RD since episode 2 of series 1. My friend told me about it after the pilot episode and from the following week I was hooked. Every series has been good or great, with series 1 and 2 being my favourite and series 7 being my least favourite (although Tikka To Ride is probably in my top 3 episodes ever).

Back To Earth was great, in my opinion, and there were enough jokes in there to keep me laughing like I did in the other series. So what does everyone think a series 10 needs?

For me it's...........

A - Bring back audience laughter. That was definitely missed in BTE.
    B - Bring back Holly (Norman if possible), as although Holly is a bit redundant when Kryten turned up, he still is part of RD history.
    C - Keep it dialogue based. It's the banter between the 4 guys (5 if holly is around_) that makes it great.

RAGE

2. ytsejam

ytsejam Skutter

the only thing i ask for from season's 9, and 10 is that they happen.

3. DThomas

DThomas Skutter

It's horses for courses really. What's stuck me about these forums since BTE is that, good or bad, the number of responses has been pretty impressive. If there was just a kind of indifference, that would be worrying, because clearly we'd have all moved on. So loads of responses is great - that's what Dave wants to see to get a new series off the ground - not necessarily how feel about BTE.

Anyway, back to the subject of discussion, here's what I'd personally like to see for series 10:

1) More commeradery between the four dwarfers. Series 7 + 8 went quite some way in disintegrating that, in my opinion (with Rimmer going, then having a whole ship-full of people) Get back to the basics: four pathetic but lovable space chumps bumbling through space, taking every opportunity to get one-up on each other.

2) Self-contained episodes. No more two or three episode arcs, at least for a while, please. RD's at its best when we find out everything we need to know in the space of a single episode. Why? Because that keeps the pace of the thing much tighter (BTE a case in point). Slowing it down turns it towards being a comedy drama, which (whilst is interesting) is not 'classic dwarf'

3) Either bring Holly back permanently, or permanently ditch him/her. Make it a part of the story by all means, but please make a descision one way or the other!

4) Live audience. Again, this changes the whole tone of the Dwarf. Imagine Back to Reality, or Marooned (one of the best, in my opinion) without a laughter track. Still brilliant? Yes. Still classic dwarf? Possibly not. Audiences like to feel a shared sense of identity when watching sitcoms; and a laughter track, whilst basic, does do this very well. Bring it back - it unites us!

5) All the characters seem to have their own 'mission' as it were (Lister - get Kochanski; Rimmer - feel superior, earn respect; Kryten - serve others and make Lister happy) but the Cat doesn't. The closest we got was Waiting for God way back in Series 1. Yes, I know his mission is perhaps 'ultimate vanity' or something, but really, he needs something else. Giving him a stronger sense of direction would create a much more interesting dynamic on board RD, in my opinion.

As I say, a lot of this is 'horses for courses' Some people believe the show peaked at series 2; others 3 or 4, others 5 or 6. All were unique in their own way, and Doug Naylor should seriously be credited for this. It is so easy to hit on a winning formula and do 'comedy by numbers', never changing a thing for fear of scaring off the target audience (My Family, anyone). Doug's always strived to develop and evolve the show, and whilst we might not have always agreed with every decision, he has at kept it very interesting. Well done with BTE, you've ensured our enthusiam for this legendary show continues to endure. Let's hope Dave gives him the scope to carry on this juggernaught of British comedy into the next decade.

4. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Series TEN?? Did I miss series 9?

5. ytsejam

ytsejam Skutter

I think some people are considering BTE to be season 9.
    These people are most likely ill.

6. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

Doug has said in a interview on Dave website that series 9 should be retired 'like a football shirt' and if another series was given the go-ahead it would be series 10....but he said he couldn't give too much away to not spoil BTE.
    He gives the impression series 9 has happened.....in the BTE reality ( kochanski leaving etc....)and the next series, 10, would be based on finding her....
    Hope so.....