What the smeg is 'Awooga'?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by IoHouse, Apr 18, 2012.

1. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Now I may be being a bit thick here, but I cant work out what Awooga is? Theres the Awooga dance in Dimension Jump, the Awooga Waltz in Angels and Demons and Craig Charles mentions it on his Twitter BBC6 page.

But what is it?

2. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Third Technician

Well what else are you going to say when you're sirens busted and you need to abandon shop? ;-)

3. toby44

toby44 Third Technician

I belive it's a reference to the episode "marooned" where holly has to immitate an alarm because the real one is busted...."Awooga,Awooga...This is not a drill THIS is a drill..." At Least i think that's the episode????:shock:

4. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Oh and theres a reference in the book backwards where the siren goes 'Agoowa'

But is that the sound sirens make? I wouldnt know myself.

5. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Yeah, it's basically an onomatopoeia based on the sound that alert sirens traditionally make. Whether any still or ever did make that sound, I don't know. I've never heard it in real life, but it's pretty common in fiction on TV. As with most onomatopoeia, the sound of the word doesn't really resemble the sound it describes unless you're already familer with that sound.

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

This is quite fascinating, I love word origins. Anyhow I googled, which I should have done originally but Im ditzy like that, and I found this:

awooga Created and first used by the Awooga brothers, Fash the bash, Kris Akabusi and Craig Charles, Awooga is a sign of excitement, happiness and an utterance of agreement.

7. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

This article gives a little more information about the old klaxon sound and its uses. It describes the sound as "ahooga".

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Awooga is Holly's attempt at voicing the noise a siren makes. Evidently Craig was quite taken with it, as he started using it elsewhere - notably (I believe) while presenting the BBC2 series Cyberzone.

At some point, John Fashanu - in one of a number of incidents of unpleasantness that seemingly litter his career - decided to appropriate it and start using it - as a general exclamation of glee - on Gladiators. As Gladiators had significantly more viewers than Cyberzone, Fashanu is now generally considered by a lot of people to be the originator of the phrase. But he's bloomin' well not.