What the smeg is Lister's accent?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CrazyFanNumber8725, Mar 8, 2009.

1. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Sorry, but this has been driving me a little batty. Cat seams to talk American. Rimmer is 100% Brit. But Lister is like nothing else I heard.
    He's not like that womanizing guy in Torchwood who is always "on the pull" or like any of the punks I listen to on TV talking about how they pioneered chaos and disorder in the 70's in England.

My only guess is that Lister is a British guy trying to sound like an American, or not British at all and maybe ... what? Australian?

Lister says british things like "spin on!" instead of "fast forward", yet he also says "yeah!" and "course it is!" which sounds american to me, so i'm totally confused.

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Lister has a Scouse/Liverpudlian's accent(The accent of people from Liverpool in England)

3. CrazyFanNumber8725

Thanks!

But isn't that where all the punks are from too? Or am I thinking Manchester?

what's that accent of that womanizing guy from Torchwood then?

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Also, it is Craig Charles's actual accent. He isn't putting it on (well maybe a bit.)

Your interpretation is understandable (and amusing*) though. Most British accents I hear on American TV are either posh or cockney.
    I heard a girl speak in what I thought was an Australian accent in Buffy a while back. Turns out she was supposed to be British. (I think it was actually an American girl trying to put on a cockney accent. ;-) )

That's a London accent, I think. I think it's east end (i.e. cockney.) I'm a Londoner too, but his accent is a bit different from mine (South East London.)

The musical sounding accents you'll hear in Torchwood (spoken by Ianto and Gwen Cooper, and a lot of bit roles) are Welsh.

*Not meant in a patronising way.

5. CrazyFanNumber8725

lol, i'm the first person here to make fun of myself for being american. so don't be afraid to laugh, it's ok :-)
    when my friends ask me if i'm going to be playing video games with my spare time, I say "no, i'm gonna be making fun of americans on that british chat board again"

ok then, what's Rimmer's accent?

and what's "posh" and "cockney"? (examples would work for me... like Monty Python is ... what?)

as an american, i'm aware of 3 british accents. high-class stuck-up (i.e., Rimmer), laid-back (Holly) and rock-n-roll (all the british punks on TV that are so strung out on drugs it all sounds like: "ui. 'i 'ates 'n' i were mumble-mumble whenna record produca' mumble-mumble-muble an' chi'ens flew out".

I honestly never heard anything like Lister before.

So is Rimmer's accent like London or something?

LOL i am watching BBC so much these days, that I realized a couple days ago "wait a minute... captain jack harness has an american accent!"
    I totally didn't notice that because it sounded to me the whole time that everyone had a british accent.

EDIT: ok, you explained London accent just now, sorry. LOL. What's Rimmer's accent then? Posh?

6. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

I have often found it curious that most Americans think there are only one or two accents in Britain. Every city, town or village has its own variation! Sticking to Red Dwarf accents, though...

Rimmer speaks in 'received pronunctiation'. This is supposedly a non-regional generic accent that is favoured by drama schools. It's kind of based on the accents you'll hear in the counties around London ('Home counties'), though it is not specific to any one place.

Lister speaks with a Liverpool accent. Liverpool itself has a variation of accents, some sounding rather downbeat (Ringo Starr never sounds happy), while others (such as Craig Charles') has a more upbeat twang to it. Things relating to Liverpool are referred to as Liverpudlian or, to use a more slang term, 'Scouse'.

Cat is an example of a Londoner doing an American accent. He has on a number of occasions slipped momentarily into his native London accent.

Holly (both of them) speak with rather broad London accents. A lot of people refer to all London accents as Cockney, though technicaly it's only a particular area of London (within a two mile radius of Bow) where true Cockneys come from. London, being so large, does have a huge range of accents within, with the east end (including Cockney) sounding the 'roughest'. I don't think either of the Hollies speak with a full Cockney accent.

Kryten is a southerner doing Canadian. Robert Llewellyn was always trying to improve the quality of his Canadian accent, which is why it changes so much from series 3 to series 8.

Kochanski I has a mild Glasgow (Glaswegian) accent, whilst with Kochanski II you're back to 'received pronunciation'.

Other notable British accents in Red Dwarf are Andy from 'Back To Reality' speaks with a Birmingham (Brummie) accent (Although the actor himself is from London, he's made a career out of playing convincing Brummies). Birdman from 'Pete' speaks with a south Wales accent, similar to what you'll hear in Torchwood / new Doctor Who a lot.

On the subject of Torchwood, John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) is from Scotland originally, and moved to Canada in his childhood. It's hard to pin down which is his 'true' accent, since the Canadian seems so natural - however on his episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' whenever he spoke to his parents he had a full on Scots accent!

Ronnie

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Rimmer's accent sounds like a standard English accent to me (which is rubbish of course as there is no such thing.) Basically southern I think and a bit posh (although it slips a bit sometimes.) I.e. compare it to Chloe Annette's or Sophie Winkleman's ... now they're posh!) His family are upper middle class I think. He actually grew up on Io I believe, so they're actually off-world colonists.

So there you have it. It's an Io accent. ;-)

Both Hollys have a London accent.

I just did a quick check of Chris Barrie on wiki. Apparently he was actually born in West Germany, although no doubt he grew up over here.

EDIT- Ok Ronstar's explanation is better.

8. CrazyFanNumber8725

Thanks all! Now i know my Welsh from my Cockney -- and that my american impression that Rimmer was just plain "British" wasn't off-base after all!
    Would never have guessed Ringo and Lister was the same accent... wow... wierd. So that's Liverpool.

I still really like Lister's accent and style.

I did notice both Hollys talked alike, which I thought was great. So that's London, 'eh?

Cat does a wonderful american accent! I couldn't tell at all. seemed a bit Jive-y at times but that seemed deliberate. The whole 1940's zuit-suit "cool cat" thing.
    If there were any slip-ups with Cat, I thought it was because the show was written by Brits... not that Danny John-Jules was British.

although when I did first see Cat, i was kinda eating my special brownies and not knowing what a great show I was getting into, and when I saw Cat for the first time i went "Whoah... I didn't know Bill Cosby did THAT???"

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It would help if you specified the names of the punks that you've heard talking on TV. Punk bands were from all over Britain, but many of the most significant ones were from London (The Clash, The Sex Pistols, etc).

10. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

There are more accents in britan than there is in anyother country, Mine for instance has a radius of around 5 miles of my hometown. Which is a mixture of Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire accents.

You can roughley position alot of people within 40miles of their home town/place they have lived the longest, just from hearing them speak.

If you ever came to this country you would proberly realise that your english accent sounds nothing like what most brits speak.

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

There is no part of this quote that doesn't make me giggle.

12. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

I'm slightly surprised that you didn't know of the Liverpool accent Corwyn.

I've been living over here for 4 years now though so I guess I am a bit more acclimatized. Anyway! In any part of Britain there are people who speak the "local" accent. People who speak a bit "T.V. British" basic T.V. British is what most Americans are used to. Cockney is what Americans usually hear as a down at the heels or poor British person for some reason.

It's kinda like, you tend to get a generic American accent but if someone is suppose to be from the wrong side of the tracks they often talk a bit "gangsta" (or what T.V. people think is gangsta) or "yokel"

My favorite accents are Welsh and Irish for the musical quality to both of them, the most feared for me is Glaswegian though any Scottish scares me slightly on encountering it. The British mock an American for not understanding them but generally are okay with it, the Welsh are a little annoyed by again okay with it, the Irish think it's funny and cute the Scottish (generally) are enraged if you don't understand them. Glaswegian Scots even more so when I really really can't make out a word of what they're saying.

Anyway, if you watch for instance Snatch you'll encounter a huge variation of London accents, and in some British shows you'll encounter things like Yorkshire and so on. There are particular accents to particular places but some are broader then others.

Saying that? I never thought the Cat was American. I always always thought he was British, it didn't even occur to me that he was trying an American accent.

Accents are surprisingly hard to pick up. I've lived over here for 4 years and still sound undeniably American...which is slightly weird but there you go. :-D

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm surprised by that. In a TV interview a number of years ago Danny recounted that at some convention in America they were stunned to hear him talking in an English accent as they had previously believed him to be American.

14. Beth1983

I don't know why, I suppose when I think of it his accent isn't very British but yeah, I think possibly because it was a British show I always assumed he was British. To be honest I'm very surprised to learn he was doing an American accent.

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Though not to the point of using British spelling! :-)

16. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

There is an entire Inspector Morse episode that bases its plot on the fact that the Oxford English Dictionary spells "realize" and other similar words with a "z" not an "s".

I always thought that English English used the "s" spelling, but Colin Dexter - a great literary pedant - claims otherwize...;-)

17. admuz

admuz Second Technician

I never thought of the Cat's accent being American at all! How strange :?

I'd love to know what Corwyn would make of my Hull/Yorkshire accent!

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I was quite surprised to find out that Danny John Jules had an English accent! As if an actor has never put on another accent before...

19. Beth1983

Firefox spellchecker.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yeah. I've never been able to change the spellchecker in Firefox to English, er, English.

As Kier said though, it's debatable with 'acclimatized' and other words with a 'z' instead of an 's'.