What the smeg is Lister's accent?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CrazyFanNumber8725, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Though to be honest? Cause I am American I probably wouldn't even if I could change the settings. I've never looked into changing it. I may live in England but yeah...I'm a yank to my fingertips :-D The nice kind of Yank though.

2. admuz

admuz Second Technician

It always surprised me whenever I saw heard the actors who play Sayid and Mr. Eko in Lost speak. They both have very strong London accents, completely different from the voices they use in the show!

3. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Not as good as my York/ Yorkshire accent ;-)

4. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Lol, I know my so-called British accent is no good. Especially when I really mess up and add an Irish Brogue to it! That's why I'd love to go to a British pub and try it out on the locals. I know how it would go.
    "Pint of Lager, my good man!"
    "What sort of Lager."
    "uh... uh... smoke me a clipper?"
    "You're american aren't you?"

Seriously, i'd be able to pick it up quickly if i hung out with actual British people. But it would be weird, since I'd pick it up SO well, no one would notice it until I came back to the USA.

I would love to hear all your accents!

I can't disclose my taste in British punks because that would reveal a whole 'nother side of me that doesn't belong on this message board at all.

Yeah, I was watching a black-n-white Dr. Who and trying to place the accents. the girl sounded Welsh, but the guy I couldn't get a hold off. He used Lister's turns of phrase but spoke more cockney than anything. I figured "eh, draw a streight line between Cockney and Liverpool, and that's where HE's from! and let's leave it at that!"

No one in the USA (besides Bill Cosby) actually sounds like Cat. But I really thought it was an american guy trying to talk Jive-y!

Lol, in high school, I once tried to write a fake-british story with british spelling. I know you blokes say "centre" instead of "center" and "spectre" instead of "specter".
    So i figured if one "re" was good, more would be better.

So I had something like a "biggre spidre entre the centre".

And you don't want to see what I did with the "or" --> "our" change.

5. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Although the spelling of "Keir" is not... ;-)

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oops. Sorry.

No, that's fair enough. I was just wondering how to change the settings myself. I'll sometimes go off on a tangent in my posts as thoughts occur, but I wasn't suggesting anything.

7. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Have you tried downloading the British English dictionary? Just look in the dictionary section of the add-ons.. or click here to install it.

8. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

For those who are quite dull, like me, the history of the 'ize' ending is intriguing. Basically, it's one of those situations where the Americans are right. 'Ize' comes from the Greek 'izo', 'to do', and all words such as realize, organize, authorize, etc. should use a 'z' - where the background meaning is to make the first part of the word 'happen' (hence, with other words such as 'surprise', where this isn't the case they use an 's').

Where the problem came about is where shortly after the publication of the OED, there came a revisionist movement in Britain to modernize spellings to create a more accessible standard English. Most modern dictionaries will therefore list words like realise, organise, etc., and have the 'z' as an alternate spelling. The OED have, however, attempted to resist this modernization of the language, and it's only really in the last 20 years that they've even listed the newer spellings as alternatives to the originals. So basically, you can choose for yourself if you use realize or realise, but if you choose the former be prepared to have to give this explanation to people who say you're being American!

Ronnie

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thanks. Actually I did it yesterday. I had an idea that it was installed somewhere already, and that it was just a matter of selecting it, but never mind.

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'd call mine a softer version of Danny's accent. Cos my dad is from North London and my mum is from the western suburbs. Although just within the last year I've started to pronounce certain words with a Manc twang.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

Most countries have quite a few regional variations in accent, dialect and in some cases several distinct languages. You'd be surprised at how many different accents you could find even in the US if you actually spent some time travelling around this country. There are more than most non-Americans give us credit for (and more than most Americans are aware of themselves) as well, and as far as bungling up accents goes, there are nearly as many examples of Brits faking terrible American accents as there are Americans faking terrible Brit accents (as much as I love watching Jeeves & Wooster, the episodes with "American" characters just make me cringe, for example).

And don't get me started on fake southern accents (and believe me, there are MANY MANY southern accent variations depending on what part of what state of the southeast you are in and while they can broadly be divided into "coastal" and "appalachian" regions there is certainly not just one "southern accent"), those are pretty universally HORRIBLE, regardless of the nationality of the person doing them. :x

Really the only fake American accent I've ever been remotely fooled by is Hugh Laurie on House MD, though having seen him in other things I knew he wasn't American.

As for Dwarf, the Cat does not sound American, it never even occured to me that he was supposed to until someone else pointed it out. I mean, he's obviously doing a take-off of Little Richard and the like with his mannerisms and outbursts but the accent itself is not really all that American sounding. Kryten just sounds... weird. I think someone told me once he was supposed to be mimicking a Canadian accent but I don't quite believe it from what I know of Canadians.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That is true.

I actually thought that Laurie's accent was way exaggerated, but I get the impression I'm outnumbered on that. I think Lena Headey's accent from Terminator:SCC is quite good. (Whether Americans feel the same is a whole other thing.)

As for accent variety in US, sure there are plenty. I think they're spread more widely than here in the UK though, but I don't know for sure. By that I mean, you can travel less distance in the UK for a different accent. Bearing in mind the BG could fit in some individual States.

I think Danny was going for James Brown (but yeah he might have had Little Richard in mind too.) As for Robert, yeah he was going for a kind of pseudo-Canadian. As for not being realistic, yeah, he mentioned himself that Canadians have pointed it out to him. ;-)

13. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

Yes that is very true, I know has my partner is doing here masters in speach and linguistiqus (I need a spell check) and one of here current studys roughley touch on the subject.

14. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

I actually found this post quite intriguing.

I was aware of the "er"-->"re" thing and the "or" --> "our" thing, but never noticed this at all.

Yeah, I didn't even bother trying to figure Kryten out. I just figured his speech circuits got corrupted after all of Lister's tinkering.

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

No, I think Robert's speech circuits got corrupted after he decided to do a Canadian accent!

16. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

What do Americans have against the letter u?

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

peas_and_corn, you're going to have to resize your giant avatar pic to 100 x 100.

At present it's 200 x 196.

18. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Nothing against it, it's just an unnecessary letter when it comes to pronunciation. Americans don't use it, the British do. Simple as that. :-D

19. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Usually an S and an A.

20. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I don't know but I suspect it has something to do with a traumatic moment involving an attack by a gang of rabid U's in Noah Webster's childhood.