what will the new episodes have?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Dec 8, 2009.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

What will the new series be called, 9,10,11?
    Will it have an audience laugh track something back to earth was lacking?
    How many episodes will it contain?
    Will it be set after bte or before?
    Will it have Holly and if so who will play him/her?

thanks

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Do you fancy answering this one Mr Naylor as you and you alone know the answer. Or is it a secret for noo !

I was just thinking about the question of will Holly return and who will play Holly, To be honest i have thought if it's not Norman (very unlikely) then it has to be Hattie ! so if niether of them do it then no one should.

Ten i suddenly thought....

BUT BUT BUT what about Doug ??? he sounds very deadpan in interviews (no offence Doug) and now doesn't look to different from Holly in the early series.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I honestly think they'd be better off calling it "Red Dwarf: Reloaded" or something as suggested on this board to differentiate it completely from the original BBC era series, thus answering all fan gripes about it not being like the original with a pretty hearty "that's because it isn't".

A "laugh track" is a bad idea full stop and is not something Red Dwarf has ever used (VII's laughter was taken from a live screening). A live studio audiance however will more than likely mean less complicated shots and a slightly less filmic looking show plus in this day and age it would mean we'd never have a chance of keeping a big surprise like BTE's ending quiet.

Hopefully 6 with NO MULTI PARTERS but while were on the subject is there a reason why we can't have this confirmed officially (or unofficially). The scripts have been commissioned so its probably fair to say Dave have given Doug an indication of how many to write? No?

Its been mentioned by Doug and I think by Andrew that one of the reasons for leaving the 9 year gap between 8 and BTE is to create new backstory for the characters that can be developed so it would seem likely that the new series will be set after BTE.

Ainsley Harriot will alternate the role with Myley Cyrus.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm probably being a Pedantic Percy here, but you're getting the term 'laugh track' mixed up with 'canned laughter'. You're right in that Red Dwarf has never done the latter. It has used a laugh track though. When you record someone's reaction to the show and play it back with the programme, that's still a laugh track.

5. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

As we don't know what the new series will be like, here's what I'd want if it were down to me.........

What will the new series be called, 9,10,11?
    9. Calling it series 10 indicates there's a series 9, and BTE wasn't a series, just a long story split into three. And regarding the comments made in BTE, it was all an hallucination, so I say call it series 9 and carry on from there.

Will it have an audience laugh track something back to earth was lacking?
    I'd put a live audience in for as much as possible and then, for those scenes which are unable to have a live audience, get them to watch the whole episode when it's done and record the laughter then.

How many episodes will it contain?
    6. Continuity people!

Will it be set after bte or before?
    After, with a brief explanation by one of the crew as to what went on (not to the camera but just in the dialogue with the other crew mates)

Will it have Holly and if so who will play him/her?
    As Norman won't be recalled, it's Bill Bailey or Hattie

Just give me the scripts and I'll get things going!!! :lol:
    RAGE

6. bedfordfalls

7. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

8. bedfordfalls

9. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

What will the new series be called, 9,10,11?- 9, probabley.
    Will it have an audience laugh track something back to earth was lacking? The cast would certainly like it, and so do the fans so it's likley
    How many episodes will it contain? 6 scripts it seems.
    Will it be set after bte or before? after, obviously.
    Will it have Holly and if so who will play him/her? definately not Norman Lovvett

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I'm just a fan of the "6 in a series" from the old Dwarf. 6 seemed (to me, at least) to work best for the show, whereas with 8 the episodes seemed to get lost in weak and strong stories. And to be honest, I've watched series 7 so few times (and series 8 only once) that I always tend to think of RD as 6 episodes a series.

I guess Daves budget would be an overriding factor too.

Still, 6, 8 or 68 it's all good.

RAGE

11. jd05uk

jd05uk Third Technician

I hope that any new series will be numbered Series 9 or have a new continuity in order to distinguish it from the BBC series. I also hope that there are 6-8 episodes, a Christmas feature length special and the Unplugged idea.

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

So you either want it to be numbered 'Series IX' to show it continues directly from the previous eight series, or be entirely separate from the BBC series?

How odd!

13. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

:P
    I don't remember reading anywhere the amount of scripts doug has been commisoned to write. Source please, but given that our source about these scripts been commisoned is an email from doug read at DJ and not any offical offical word yet from dave or gnp

I would love for it to come back, aslong as they're careful with it, I really like bte it showed the shows still got a heart and can be a 21st Century show. 6 episodes seems to little, but 8 seems fine. and depending on the budget I would like to see 13 episodes a series (same amount as dr who it's a good amount to have lots of diffrent stories and multi-parters keeping everyone happy)

I do hope Dave have given doug a big budget then again bte did prove that it doesn't need a massive budget to still look amazing. I just dnt want them struggling.

I do hope theres a studio audience, or at least played to one, If we're calling it a sitcom then How I met your mother is a good example , as they film everything without an audience, then play it to an audience and air the episode with the audience track. and it allows them to still be a sitcom but still do some fancy edit work, like most recently their 100th episode featured a big musical number, which took a lot of time to film and edit.

OR maybe a 6 episode sitcom series, with a special like bte more comedy drama. oh says you have to play to the TV rules. TV is changing so much now that the old rules are pointless now.

What happened to the Red Dwarf unplugged project, I loved the idea of that and I do hope that has not been forgotten.

If you have read this long post thanks

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I know what you mean. Still, most of the series of Red Dwarf have been 6 episodes! Since this is the first propers series in a while, I can understand why they opt for 6. If it's successful and a second series is commissioned it will possibly increase to 8.

I doubt very much it will ever be 13! That's quite rare for British programmes. Well, outside Doctor Who...

They might get more (probably will in fact, there being more episodes) but I doubt Dave could afford to give a big budget. I agree that they seem to have a knack for allowing a little to go quite a way though.

That was how they did Red Dwarf 7. The thing is, part of the reason for including an audience is the feedback it gives the actors. I.e. was the response to this take good? Would they get a better response for doing it another way? You obviously don't get that if you add the laugh track later.

I wouldn't mind if they continue down the comedy drama route. As long as the comedy is fairly funny. (The comedy in BtE was a mixed bag for me, although I liked the episodes overall.) I don't mind about the laugh track myself, again as long as it's funny. If there are good stories, it's funny and hopefully some fairly uptodate affects (within budget, doesn't have to be extensive in every episode) then I think I'll be happy.

15. bedfordfalls

16. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

oh great, I'm quite happy with six episodes. I would love to write for red dwarf or another sitcom or sci-fi, as I think I can write wel devloped stories, and not silly fan-fims(no offensice to those who make fan-films) fan-film scripts are massivly diffrent from actual scripts, and i belive I can write actual scripts, oh I sound so vain I hate sounding vain, I understand alot about tv, thats why I can understand mistakes that have been made.

oh and what episode was duct soup, I'm not very good with episode names.

17. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

It was the one in series VII where they were crawling round the ventilation ducts (Listy had claustrophobia).

18. bedfordfalls

wer u beeing ironec when u tiped that? :roll:

19. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    :lol::lol::lol: Dammit! You got there first!!

20. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

Speed is the answer, one day you will need 2 speeeeeeeeeeeed, today you only need 2 speeed, but u will always need 2 speeeeeeed.

Do you know ur place in the world of irony and speeeeeeeeed?