What would you like to see in future Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

What would you like to see in future Red Dwarf? If it were up to you, what would it do differently?

I would like to see more recurring characters. I'm thinking particularly of Hogey the Roguey. The world they're in is important to me, and I'd like to get more of a feel for it. When they introduce Hogey the Roguey at the end of X, the Dwarfers are all sick to death of him, like he's been turning up for some time, whereas the audience had never seen him before or since! I actually think this was a deliberate in-joke about how characters drop in and out of Red Dwarf for one episode. It hints at all sorts of goings-on aboard ship that the audience never sees. I'd love it if Hogey dropped in again. And Snacky, what's happened to him? Maybe it'd be too much to ask him to re-appear in a speaking role, but I'd like to see a background cameo where he appears for eagle-eye fans. I like hearing or seeing references to previous episodes.

I've moaned about this before, but just once I'd like the antagonists to express some surprise at meeting the Dwarfers, just to clarify that meeting a human is unusual in 3000000 deep-space. It's confusing when Simulants and GELFS talk about hating humans or whatever, because I'm thinking "when did they last see a human?". Surely GELFS have never even seen one before. But they act like "it's another one of these humans that we hate so much even though surely we've never seen one before because Lister is the only one".

I'd like to get the odd Kochanski reference to clarify if they're still looking for her, and if so, how they're looking for her. They have nothing to go on. Does Kryten know which way she went? I assume they're still pointed towards Earth, since it's as good a direction as any to look for her in, in fact probably better since that's presumably where she headed too. She was last mentioned in Entangled, and seemingly forgotten all about in Krysis. My feeling is that something Kochanski-related will happen in XII (I didn't go to any screenings so this just my hunch). I don't want her to re-join the crew, but I want to be reminded that she's out there, like a carrot being dangled over the overall plot.

I'd love some episodes where nothing in particular happens. I'd happily watch the crew hanging around aboard ship between adventures. Like the opening of Back to Earth where Rimmer is straightening the pictures and Lister is winding him up with the ironing. I'd like to see more episodes were it's killing-time-in-space. They don't need to have epic space adventures all the time. I miss when Lister and Rimmer had their existential conversations where they actually found some common ground with each other, like Balance of Power. Or Marooned where it's Lister and Rimmer trapped in a room. Those long discussions where the audience actually sympathise with Rimmer, like when his "father" died or when he agreed to let Lister burn his wooden soldiers.

I'd like to get a reference to the map they got off Hogey the Roguey which was supposed to lead them to all sorts of amazing things, and then they never used it. I was, foolishly, interested in that map like it was some sort of plot development. Even if it's just a tease reference to the fact that they never used it, and it's in the pile with all the other one-episode-wonders they presumably still have somewhere. Like the joke where they kept getting interrupted whenever they tried to explain the Series VIII cliffhanger.

2. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

What if 'Jesus' found a way to repair the remote returner he stamped on and suddenly came back aboard ship...?

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

I've mentioned before in some thread that I'd like to see an episode where the crew explores the Cat city(s). They must still be there, or at least traces of them. In the novel's they were teaming cities, but we only get to see one room (waiting for god).

I differ from you in that ......... well..... I just DON'T like the Kochanski character at all and would be totally happy if she were just forgotten. Completely.

Not so sure about the repeat character's either, we get that to one extent ..... Simulants, Gelf's etc. I did wonder what happened to Snacky but not enough to worry about. There's a whole universe for them to explore!

I agree that a few more "set piece" episodes would be nice. Rimmer and Lister just talking/interacting. Kryton and Cat are integral to the crew .....maybe a little more "face time" for them wouldn't hurt either. Maybe while they're exploring the ruins of a Cat city perhaps lol.

Any guest spots at all for Graham McTavish ..... Never saw or heard of him until R.D. and I think he's freaking great! Really seems to get a feel for the role's he plays.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just for the sake of nostalgia, I'd like to see the return of Talkie Toaster as a regular character. Hollister too, though only for one episode - one episode in which he returns and then somehow gets killed off at the end. No Kochanski though - not until the last ever episode anyway.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but Cat rarely has any scenes alone with Rimmer or Kryten. Lister is the only character that he ever seems to spend a lot of time with, which makes sense I suppose but I'd love to have an episode or two with some Cat/Rimmer or Cat/Kryten pairings.

One final thing I'd love to see would be the return of the wonderful cargo bay shots that we had in Back to Earth, such as the one in the screenshot below. Never before had a Red Dwarf cargo bay looked so vast and fantastic.

[​IMG]

5. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

They wouldn't be there anymore, not on the VIII-rebuilt ship.

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I mean specific characters, not just recurring species. I suppose if Red Dwarf is constantly travelling in one direction back to Earth, then it would keep leaving everyone behind, so recurring characters would have to catch up with them, deliberately or coincidentally. But Hogey the Rogey had visited Red Dwarf multiple times off-camera, so this was being done, we just never saw it. And there could be recurring characters within the ship, ie Snacky and Talkie Toaster. I'd like it if we saw Sim Crawford in the background still stirring coffee.

7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Yeah you're right. I'm a smegging idiot. Besides NOTHING strange or out of place or time ever happens in Red Dwarf , huh?

8. Iced Gemz

Iced Gemz Catering Officer

More cats, more cats and more cats! :-D

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I agree here, Kochanski was only useful for one thing... that would be gritting the path in Fiji. :lol:

10. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I'd like to see a proper 'real time' episode, like Duct Soup/Samsara but literally no cuts or edits, just the guys, maybe in the bunk room, chatting away. Now of course some revelations need to come out and it needs to be smegging funny but Mr Naylor can take care of that.

11. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

This was bit in Dear Dave and it was, in my opinion, absolute catastrophe.