What year is it ment to be actualy?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by nelix847, Apr 19, 2009.

1. nelix847

nelix847 Third Technician

I know that reddwarf is ment to be set 3 million years into the futre but thats after lister is brought out of stasis. what year is it ment be in be for the stasis. I know its only a series but Like on "Backwards" "Time Slides" They go back to present day when the series was actualy filmes and not the actual futre. Also in Back to earth they came back to 2009. But what year is reddwarf is actualy in be for Lister goes into stasis and after?. By the way im not knocking Reddwarf I love it and best comady series ever i liked (and still do)

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

IN series I-III it's the 21st century (never a specific year i don't think unless it's in the movels)
    on series IV it changed to the 23rd century.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

And in VII it changed to the 22nd!

However, nelix847 is wrong - Timeslides didn't travel back to the present day. Backwards went to 1993 - which was the near-future when they shot it! - but that wasn't a time period that had anything to do with the Dwarfers; it's just where they ended up. Timeslides, though, was a 23rd century (or, erm, 21st or 23rd) boozer. 'Sham Glam' hasn't happened yet, remember.

Basically you can choose between the idea that the far future won't be that different - in that pubs today aren't so wildly different from those in the 18th century, and historical mansions will always stay much the same - or that the pub we saw was an 'old style' boozer, or that the production couldn't make the 23rd century look very futuristic because it's smegging expensive to do so.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've often wondered why Doug Naylor did that, or did he? I can understand changing 21st to 23rd century as the 21st century was (smeg - now is) too soon for such technological developments, but why 22nd? Did Doug think that 23rd was just too far ahead? Or was it just an error on the part of the caption folk (I know that's not what they're really called) putting a 21 in the date (i.e. 22nd century) instead of a 22?

And is the last date the one that *stands* or is it the date that was actually spoken (i.e. 23rd century?) I kind of go with the latter, as it's possible the clock in the gents in Stasis Leak was wrong ;-) and the mix-up with 215? which I mentioned. Not that it matters that much since... well... a couple of centurie is not much considering 3 million years. I am fascinated with the society they came from though. Particularly considering the Bladerunner references in BtE.

5. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

We do have 2 massive year changes in Psirens, 200 years and Rimmer world. Five hundred and fifty seven years. I would agree the second amount of years could be explained away as jumping back through the worm hole. But it does give a conscious thought that time has passed by large amounts, and that it was a partial way of explaining it. For all we know they could have gone into stasis many times.

Red Dwarf doesn't reference itself many times. Do you remember last Christmas? We got attacked. And the other week, we did the ironing and watched tv, all I can think of at the moment. But we have no idea how much time has passed or what they did at certain times.

6. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

There was also however much time passed in Series VII when the crew travelled all the way back to the ocean planet with the Esperanto in Nanarchy (presumably another 200 years like before Psirens).

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Also, they had had the Starbug Engine's upgraded with the help of the Epideme virus makin them much, much faster. I'm not sure if that was a temporary fix, i.e. something that you'd use sparingly or risk burning out the engies. If it was a permanent thing it would have cut the journey back to the Ocean planet's system down to a fraction of the time. I forget how much faster it was but it would be under a couple of years or so, maybe less. Still worth sleeping it mind you.

8. pole85

pole85 First Technician

We do have 2 massive year changes in Psirens, 200 years and Rimmer world. Five hundred and fifty seven years. I would agree the second amount of years could be explained away as jumping back through the worm hole. But it does give a conscious thought that time has passed by large amounts, and that it was a partial way of explaining it. For all we know they could have gone into stasis many times.

Red Dwarf doesn't reference itself many times. Do you remember last Christmas? We got attacked. And the other week, we did the ironing and watched tv, all I can think of at the moment. But we have no idea how much time has passed or what they did at certain times.

yeah but when they refrence the centuries they are talking about pre-accident so the events after that would have no effect on the dates

9. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Now that's what I call a continuity error! :?

10. missadventure

missadventure Second Technician

As Rob and Doug always say - it's a comedy firstly and sci-fi secondly, so don't worry too much about the technicalities :-)

11. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Somewhere in the 3rd millenium. There, that's settled it! :-D

12. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

It is currently 2009.

13. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

lol. True! :-D

14. Smegman

Smegman Third Technician

Only from your reletive perspective
    my event horizon is swaying me between 1837 and 2469
    ...but thats just me, I have a little black hole which I can't control
    pardon.

15. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

How dare you make sense.

Obviously they're very sloppy about the dates and some other details. I wish it weren't so, but if they had to put their attention on other things to get a good program made, then I'm glad they did it. You can't reconcile the dates, so you have to muddle along as best you can.