What's a Robot? don't be funny i'm serious ...

Discussion in 'THE RECUPERATION LOUNGE' started by yoserian, May 5, 2017.

1. yoserian

yoserian First Technician

what's a robot? i'm new to all this fancy internet stuff. i understand 'members', 'guests' [not signed in] but what is Robot?

Also, is there an 'ignore everyone' or do i have to post each name explicitly. it's not my intention to ignore everyone all the time, but some days ... after some of my posts ... is there an 'ignore everyone'? i've looked around, and it appears as though, i have to list each person explicitly.

2. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Click on someones user name. You get a little box up with things like follow and ignore.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I too was wondering about these mysterious robots.

4. yoserian

Oh, i see. Ok, i was hoping for an ignore everyone feature [ no seriously, some days, i don't want to see anything anyone has to say, but quickly get back to seeing them again anywhere from 5 minutes to 24 hours] OK. i have do each each individually. So, if i ignore someone, are they informed that i'm ignoring? i don't want to hurt feelings, my reasons for ignoring are nothing to do with dislike, in fact, if i dislike, probably last i'd ignore ... i'm going to ignore you Cloud for 10 minutes, can you please tell me if you are informed i'm ignoring you? i'll stop ignoring at 10:26 GMT. and i'll post again.

just probing ...................

5. yoserian

OK.... i have ignored Cloud, until 10:26 GMT. Please post Cloud, if not Cloud, i've also ignored you too Bluey, for the next 10. Please post prior to 10:26 GMT so as i can understand physics of ignore. You will be unignored at 10:26.

6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'm assuming that the robots will be bots that post auto messages when keywords are set off like I have seen on other forums.

7. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Test post to see ignore

8. yoserian

Bluely and Cloud are currently being ignored, i respond to Bluey saying ...

I'll look up Robots somewhere, lessin someone else has an answer, i'm really curuious.

I can still see both Blue and Cloud's prior posts on this thread.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As requested, here's a reply.

BigOleMummy likes this.
  10. yoserian

I'm not familiar with that, i'll look it up.

i notice i don't see post #7 which i assume to be from Bluey or Cloud.

eidt to add: first line was in response to FeeBee's description of 'bots.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  11. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

post 7 was me. So you didnt see it. I also didnt get any sort of notification or anything that you were ignoring me

12. yoserian

i meant for prior, i'm not familiar with even that much.

wow, now all the posts from Bluey or Cloud have vanished [on this thread] #7 and #9 are missing. interesting [i'm really new to this stuff].

13. yoserian

ok, i've not found a way yet to unignore, BUT looked at other threads at see something like [post from Bluey [content ignored or somehting]

ironically, the people i'm ignoring who would help me can't reach me to help me unignore them. it's now 10:31 GMT. ....

edit to add: all i see is me and FeeBee. i'll be back .....

14. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

you should be able to just click unignore in the little box right? You cant even hear me I dunno what to tell ya.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  15. yoserian

i hear ya now, both you and Bluey, thanks for your participation. you Totally disappeared, and Bluey popped up as ignored in reply to Ant-E or something.

All good now. Cool, so we can all ignore each other and not be aware we're even being ignored. My life won't change at all, and i ignore no one, unless i really like them or something.

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Robots are automated processes that "crawl" sites to gather information. Sometimes for search engine related purposes, or sometimes for spamming! Not much we can do to avoid them crawling but we have things in place to stop them interfering with users' experience.

We don't have an "ignore everyone" function because, well... what would be the point? There's an easy way to ignore everyone, it's called not reading the forum!

17. yoserian

so what i concluded [obvious to some] based on this, is:

you can't 'ignore everyone' with one click.
    on this thread, after i ignored others, prior posts from them still showed [on this thread], later posts did not at all.
    when seeing other threads, created by other people, still saw users name, but some text like 'post ignored'
    when coming back to this thread that i created, no evidence at all, that anyone ignored posted, except for missing post numbers.
    ignored poster, is not informed they are being ignored.

i'm done with this test and Thanks Again.

18. Iced Gemz

Iced Gemz Catering Officer

Androids have feelings too! :-D

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  19. yoserian

i'd hit like on that, but, discovered, if i like, everyone knows i liked. can i like anonymously??? i don't want people or bots to know i like them .....

i was being serious, but, seriously, in fact, androids, most likely, have feelings too. i should know. either, i bought or became one.

i'm still reading the instruction manual. they're not very clear up front .......

20. yoserian

well, as might be obvious, i'm sometimes embarassed by my own posts, and fear most of all, the opinions of people i like, who shall remain anonymous, for their own good. so was hoping some days, i could wake up, ignore everyone, and post some things without fist-in-mouth-syndrome. and unignore all later on, post recovery.