Whats the "Gateway" episode of Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Jan 2, 2016.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

If you had the opportunity to give ONE episode of Red Dwarf to an absolute newcomer to the series, which would it be?

It would have to be an episode you think would make them continue to watch it and maybe go back and watch everything.

I've been in this situation a few times, and for me its usually something like 'Queeg'. I don't know if it's setting the bar too high and everything else from then on will pale, but I think it highlights the comedy, writing and pitch perfect acting of everyone involved.

You could also say "Jed, start at the start, show them 'The End'!" but do you think that would get people to watch the rest of the series, especially with 21st century sensibilities? There is no right answer, but I'd be interested in what people come up with and why.

jed

2. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

What's a "Gateway"?

(braces for a wallop... or a trip to the v-e-t)

3. jedshepherd

like how people say weed is the gateway drug to rest of the drug world (not true of course).

So which episode is like a gateway for people to want to experience the rest of what RD has to offer?

4. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Queeg would indeed make a great gateway episode,I'm so indecisive so I would stay start at the beginning ,or I would watch it with them and make sure they watch a few and really get into it,it would also be a fab excuse to watch it from the start again so win win:-D

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It's tricky because you obviously want something good, but not necessarily the best episode so that everything else seems a bit of a let down after that. I'd probably go with something from Series V or VI. I wouldn't chose a Series I or II episode personally if for no better reason than stylistically it's so different from pretty much everything from III on wards.

6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Psirens possibly.

Starts off with Lister emerging from stasis like in the first one ever and a brilliant and quite a quintessential episode. But it will give people the taste for RD because there is some more even more sensational material to come.

7. Kittypaws

You mean like which is the episode you feel you could introduce someone to watch first?

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Backwards was my gateway into Red Dwarf. It immediately grabbed my attention and made me eager to see more - I was pretty much a fan straight after watching it. That said, it's not up there with my all time favourite episodes now, and I really wouldn't use it to introduce someone new to Red Dwarf. The fact that much of its humour is derived from its use of backwards footage makes it a bit of a gimmicky and untypical Red Dwarf episode.

Gunmen of the Apocalypse has always been the one I've cited as a good introduction to the show. I've always thought that most people who saw that episode would probably be at least curious to see more. Then again, I think the best thing would be to just get a newbie to go through the episodes chronologically starting with The End. There's enough promise and interesting ideas going on in that first episode to stoke most peoples' curiosity - the characters are interesting and unusual, and the basic concept of being stranded alone on a spaceship in deep space is a good one and will intrigue people and leave them wondering where the story is going to go. And Future Echoes makes a great second episode.

9. jedshepherd

yes but it would have to be one that would entice them to keep watching. Also, are you free on Monday early afternoon? I've booked an appointment for you... :twisted:

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I recommended to my American girl that she and her sons watch it from the beginning ['The End']. The feedback was very positive. I think they only planned on watching the first episode that night, but because they enjoyed it so much and were left wanting more they went straight on to watch Future Echoes. And from that point on they watched two episodes every Saturday night.

That was about five years ago and I went on to buy them all the DVDS, but to this day, upon dropping her eldest son off at school, I'm told he still sometimes does the Rimmer Salute and says "smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast". :-)

That aside - I think Queeg is a good first ep to recommend too. It was the first one I saw myself and it certainly left me craving more.

I would also consider recommending 'Quarantine' or 'Bodyswap'. But above all I think starting with 'The End' is the best way to go.

11. Kittypaws

Not the v-e-t..! :shock: *THUD!*

12. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I think I'd show them something from Series IV, maybe Justice. A good episode, shows the characters in quite a 'typical' light and leaves room for other episodes to surpass it.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I was going to say Justice! It's a strong "trad" episode, and Series IV is the best bridge of the various styles, I think. I'd either go with that, Legion or (if I wanted to show them early stuff) Future Echoes.

Another option would be Polymorph but I'm less keen on the look and style of III than some, hence going to IV instead.

14. Kittypaws

Yup - Justice.

15. jedshepherd

Looks like Justice is a popular choice. I'll perhaps try that the next time Im trying to convince a friend to watch it. It can be a hard sell if its someone who are in their early twenties.

16. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

The first episode I remember watching of Red Dwarf was Dimension Jump. It made me want to seek out the series and see more of it, which led to me seeking out the previous series on VHS. By the time Series VI came around, I had two friends in school who were also Dwarf fans and the Thursday night episodes were discussed in detail in the playground on Friday morning. I never thought of asking them how they got into the show, the fact I had other people to talk to about it was enough for me!

17. jedshepherd

what a great first episode to watch! Actually thats a decent Gateway episode too.

18. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I think it was a combination of the jokes (well, the ones my young brain understood and found funny) coupled with the model shots and interesting and weird looking characters (i.e. Kryten) that made me go "wow! what is this?" and my love of Red Dwarf started from there. Re-watching the various series as I got older, I was able to understand more of the jokes and it felt like I was (kind of) seeing it for the first time all over again and it added another layer of enjoyment, if that makes sense.

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

My gateway episode was The Last Day with Krytens death/expiry party. Red Dwarf played on the ABC (Australia) digital channel when digital first came out. Where I was living at the time didn't get the digital channels so saw it while at my parents for holidays. I liked that episode of Red Dwarf so much I got all the season on dvd in the two Just the Shows volumes. Mum tried to talk me out of it because it was an expensive purchase for the two box sets for a show I'd only seen one episode and might not like. I'm glad I got both volumes at the time because I binge watched everything and was very disappointed when I finished season 8 with the cliff hanger and no more episodes at the time (and still hasn't been answered even with the newer seasons). Was surprised when I put in the first season and found a male Holly and no Kryten, but loved it all the same, never turned back and still gets regular re-watches.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Marooned was the second episode I ever saw (the first being The End) and it was the episode that got me interested in Red Dwarf. That's mainly because I did not like The End when I first saw it (which was the first time it was broadcast incidentally). So I avoided Red Dwarf until I happened across Marooned. I found it very funny and wanted to watch more. I also wanted to know what was with the guy with the funny shaped head who I hadn't seen before.

I think it was a while before I actually watched Red Dwarf again. It somehow passed me by, and I didn't see all the episodes until the DVDs came out. But it was the episode that made me realise what a terrific show it could be.

I'm not saying Marooned is a good choice for a gateway episode for new people though. It's not especially typical of Red Dwarf as a whole being centred on just two people in one place (although it isn't far off from the episodes of series 1) but it was my gateway and it worked for me. It IS a good introduction to the comedy aspect of Red Dwarf certainly.