Whats the "Gateway" episode of Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Jan 2, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Like an earlier poster said, I'd just throw them in at S1E1. Otherwise things could be a bit confusing for them; Why is there a vampire on board? Why's the uptight guy got an H on his head? Etc etc etc.

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of us started watching at an episode later than The End, though - mine was Camille, for example - and none of us really had trouble understanding it.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

True enough. I can't pretend my introduction was with s1e1. In fact I can't remember what it was, but I do know it wasn't The End.

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Demons and Angels.

5. Springyard

Springyard Third Technician

As of now, I wouldn't go for one of the episodes in series 1-3 because they look a bit dated. But if I was to go for one of them it'd be 'Better than Life' because that gives a clear indication that, yes, it's set on a spaceship but it uses concepts, including artificial reality, so that you're not ALWAYS seeing the inside of a spaceship and it gives you a sense of Rimmer's unavoidable self loathing so you can better sympathise with him for other episodes. Although I hate the taxman ending. I love Polymorph but it's a bit much for your first episode.

Several episodes in Red Dwarf series use artificial reality (or alternative worlds in the case of Terraform / Rimmerworld) so it's not setting up a precedent that can't be fulfilled again.

I wouldn't hit them straight with Ace Rimmer - it would make Red Dwarf seem too much like a comedic Top Gun. But I would seriously consider 'White Hole' because you've got a new character to add interest (Talkie Toaster), you've got a good sci-fi concept and you've got Lister playing pool. And the episode has got atmosphere- it sets you up for series 5 in particular.

Even though I like series 6, you should perhaps see the vastness of the Red Dwarf model in your first episode. The tight one liners of series 6 rely on some comfortable knowledge of the characters, as does Justice, The Inquisitor - and Demons and Angels, Quarantine, Terraform and Back to Reality works best when you know their normal characters very well.

So Better Than Life , White Hole or , actually I do agree with the choice of Psirens a lot - it's very well structured as a story with an intro to the characters, cameo appearances, disgusting to look at kiss scene with a Psirens. It even has Kryten's creator. It's a rollercoaster of an episode. Legion is a good mood setter too but maybe too earnest for a first episode to watch.