What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I would say that with a reworked, tighter script Tikka to ride could have been one of the standout episodes of Red Dwarf. It would mean removing that awful cringey first scene and it would mean sorting out the various inconsistencies with Out of Time and other continuity problems. Those things aside however, the episode was full of great ideas had some genuinely funny moments mixed with poignancy and showed real promise that the series itself never delivered on.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's not quite in keeping with the tone of series 7 though. It was something that belonged in series 8.

3. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hah yea that first scene was not that good but i didn't really care i knew they would have a hard time linking 6 to 7 but it was still funny and one take craig got it first time round lol :P
    I really like the premise of Ouroboros the snake eating it's own tail, time looping infinite :O

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I never really understood that view. Did people miss all the Ace Rimmer silliness in Dimension Jump? His character has always been a ridiculously silly, overly flashy, showoff: cue all that stuff about hugging the event stabiliser and loop de looping around a spinning singularity or whatever the actual quote was...and the idea that rubber shares would go up because of his succesful return! 8)

I liked it too, but didn't so much like the ramifications of Lister then pursuing a romantic attraction to his own Mum! It's one of the reasons I hope that after a long pursuit this Kochanski finds a way back to her own Universe and Lister finds a way to get his Kochanski back...and never speaks of the weirdness that occurred with the other one!

5. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol it's kinda like when marty mcfly goes back in time and his mom hits on him and falls in love with him when her dad hits him with the car instead of his dad :P

haha surfing the alligator and it landing on the germans was classic :P
    and ...hopefully, some sex also classic, his ace is a lot like his frank a connery sandwich :-D
    the campfire seen in tikka was rather funny kryten without his guilt chip! this! has to come back it was hilarious
    the ace wig did look like hammy hamster though :P

6. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Because people are allowed to post opinions in relevant discussion, you blubbery fish. :-D

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

OK, I'll go into a thread which is about how great series VII & VIII are & post my opinions! One can only imagine the furore that would induce! :roll:

8. simulant37

If you "really think this to be so" then prove it. Simple.
    PS - everything does not make me angry.
    PPS - when did this puppy incident take place? I believe you live in a different country to me? How did you observe this incident?

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol guess you missed the post about how one proves that :P
    and as i recall this is how it went down "...ehyyyyyyy woh hey puppy why you so damn cute! walking around being all cute chasing sticks! i hate you puppy! get that cute face off your dog face!!! *$*$*$*# you puppy!"
    it was horrible! then he starting going off at a tree for being tall and arrogant! :P

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Series 7 is so underrated! For me, it's the second best series (besides 5). I think if Chris had stayed it would have been a much more popular series. Shame really. Mr Barrie seemed to have a slightly high opinion of himself at that point.

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

what does anti everything err simulant errr anti everything think about it? :P[/quote] YAWN! Is thickie mcchav face still here. What an amazing hat you have on sir. It makes you look so cool.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't know about 'underrated'. Most people would rank it below the first six series and above series 8, and I couldn't argue against that even though I love series 7. But, yes, if Barrie was in all eight episodes and there was no Kochanski this could have been a much better and more popular series. I was watching a bit of Beyond a Joke earlier (the scene after Kryten's head first explodes) and I couldn't help thinking how much better it would be with Barrie there instead of Annett.

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

yea pretty sure Kochanski was a horrible idea, she just doesn't work... maybe just bad casting? hmm :P

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Kochanksi wasn't a bad idea, I don't think the fault lay in the actress either. For me the reason the Kochanski/Kryten conflict never worked as well as the Lister/Rimmer one it replaced was more down to Kryten who changed into being bitchy, whiny and jealous on arrival of Kochanski.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think you make a good point. I do believe that some peoples' negative attitude towards Kochanski is blown out of proportion partly due to:

a) The (partial) departure of Chris Barrie and
    b) The simple fact that she is the new person and very different from the other people we've had before.

It doesn't help that she spends a deal of time complaining, but in context it makes sense that she would do so. (I.e. separated from her lover in a parallel dimension, with a smeggier version of her Lister, etc.) And she doesn't do it nearly as much as people might think, mainly the episode in which she first arrives (Ouroboros), and the next one (Duct Soup) where she is still adjusting.

She's posh, certainly, and my equate 'posh' with 'snobbery' but she isn't all that snobbish really.

She did seem a lot more amiable in Series VIII though. One thing about that series I do prefer maybe, although all-in-all I prefer VII to VIII.

16. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hmm yea i guess it was the whole idea of her coming back and the writing.. but then again a better casting might have be tolerable??
    who knows, but this hat makes me super cool :P

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it looked like doug was trying to make kochanski one of the boys in series 8 but even then she looked out of place

i think the show worked better with the last human, a hologramme, a cat and a robot

hopefully dougs writing is up to standard

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I would have liked to see what Kochanski would have been like in the show had she been written more like the one in Doug's solo book, Last Human. I quite liked that version of Kochanski. But I guess there she had the advantage of having already gelled with the rest of the crew in the glossed over period between the end of Better than Life and the start of Last Human, something she was in the process of doing during Series VII and VIII.

19. simulant37

I agree. That is what the show is about. Please dougs do not let us down. . .AGAIN! :x

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

So how much bottled up rage do you have for these later seasons anyway? It kinda seems like a bottomless well.