What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

You've answered your own question. . .:-(

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Must be as much as my hatred for anything made by Micheal Bay

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Micheal Bay will be directing the Red Dwarf movie from a script by Doug Naylor called Return to Back to Earth.

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'm gonna eat you

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Keep it in the bedroom harry

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think this is a good point. Apart from her origins and circumstances I didn't thing Chloe Annett's Kochanski was that far away from the version we saw in Last Human. Or to think of it another way, if the novelverse version had been through the same circumstances she would react in much the same way as Kochanski from Series VII.

In my mind she seemed more like Chloe's than Grogan's version. (I don't say that to knock CP Grogan. She's lovely.)

7. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol he has enough for 2 people.. multiple personality disorder... hey anti simmy :P

8. Slainmonkey

Back to the topic I was just thinking about another thing I hated about series VIII is the sets, and particularly that horrible attempts at the coloured lighting and....gah. While on one regard they seemed to be tying to pay homage to the first 2 season with the admittedly faithful reconstruction of the original bunkroom, however everything else was just hideous.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hah well they were in jail .. not going to be much there as for sets, other wise they were in that old warehouse or pumping station or whatever that place is, like always :P

10. Slainmonkey

I don't just mean the prison sets

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

what is a bad example of sets? the ones when they are on red dwarf?

12. Slainmonkey

Yes, and even the ones off Red Dwarf like the Room with Cassandra with the horribly coloured lights (even though it's the only episode I liked in series VIII), or the place they find the Time Wand in Pete...IMO they all look dreadful

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

haha pretty sure those 2 were in the water pump place :P

14. Slainmonkey

I don't mean the on location shoots (though they still had bad lighting) but I mean these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38K-Wvkvuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2Sxs5_Dk8
    Sorry this is an altered video but they are the best I could find.

These set are IMO abysmal, as were they in the whole of series 8.

15. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hmm i kinda like those sets yet i do not like the contents of the second video at all besides the sets hah
    that time changing hair clothes thing booo but... nah i don't really like that wand haha it could of been so much better! the options they have with that and they picked those... booo :P

16. Slainmonkey

Yeah the time wand like everything in the Pete episodes is total trash. To me when ever I see the sets in series VIII it to me reminds me of the kind of tacky look of something you would see on something made for kids....It's colours (WAY TOO BRIGHT) make it look all the more hokey, at the overall designs of there sets are pretty bland. It just never feels like Red Dwarf looking at it.

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hmm yea lot to do with that is camera and cgi and lighting (poor dye!or die! or however you spell the lighting guys name :P) and all that other crap... i think they should of kept everything they were doing in 4-6 and didn't change a thing no matter what technology upgrade there was.. keep it looking the same in every way and does not evolve .. but all in all i still enjoyed it :-)

18. Slainmonkey

Take into account my moaning about sets and colour are probably more to do with my own artistic leaning making things like that bug me more then they otherwise would. Having said that it's not my biggest issue with series 8 but just one of the many piled up things that contribute to my personal hatred of it.

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i liked them all besides for pete 1 and pete 2, take those out it would of been a great season.. 1,2 still have funny bits in them but... i just think ... we could of done with out them as a whole :-)

20. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Ahhh yes, the sets, CGI and lighting really effect a comedy don't they???