What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I never said they did, that doesn't mean that I can't dislike the production design. What made series 8's comedy bad is that it's really juvenile, something I have already pointed out countless times already

2. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I think what I disliked at first about VII and VIII was the fact that Kochanski came on board - it was no longer a boys' own adventure thing, boys from the Dwarf. A new dynamic was introduced which I didn't really want in what 'I' thought should be proper Dwarf.

However, when the DVDs came out and I got them, I watched them in a new light. I started to appreciate Kochanski, and think Chloe Annett is a very funny actor. She plays the tired, frustrated, maddened woman very well in Duct Soup. Like the cottage cheese gags too!

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That indeed was a very nice reproduction. It's a shame we got to see so little of it.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

One of the only good things about Series VIII, and certainly the only good thing in regards to the sets themselves which I thought were by and large rubbish.

5. Reznor

Reznor Guest

heh hmm i wonder what the set of the planet of the nymphos would look like :P

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Star Trek TNG crew visited it

[​IMG]

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I bet it really annoyed Shatner that it wasn't his crew that got to visit.

8. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol wow that does not count at all! :-)

9. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Chav face

10. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol just watched krytie tv, it's very funny! :P

11. "Christmas rubbish"

Series 3 and 8 are my least favourite series. Backwards is as bad in plot and jokes as Pete part 2. Series 7 (which always gets slated, dunno why) is a really good series.

12. Reznor

Reznor Guest

haha i would not agree with the backwards but the pete 1 and 2 lloll omg sooooo bad :P

13. "Christmas rubbish"

Well dare I say it, but I think Polymorth and Bodyswap are terrible episodes!! The only episodes I like in Series 3 are Timeslides and Marooned. To me it's just a weak series like 8.

14. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol well i do enjoy timeslides and marooned very much .... your point is valid and i understand it yet do not agree :P
    and i enjoy 8 just not pete 1,2 see thats not even true i enjoy some of those just not ALL of it like the rest :P

15. "Christmas rubbish"

Did we just semi agree on something??

16. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i think so!!! awww friends forever! :P

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

:shock:

We're all entitled to our personal opinions and preferences of course...but I must say I've never come across even the most critical of fans who feel Polymorph and Bodyswap are "terrible episodes!!" before.

I'm not looking for debate here, but I am genuinely interested to know what it is about those specific episodes you don't like. And what is it that makes Time slides better than the two ep's you dislike so much.

18. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Although I like series 7 it suffered because they made 6 huge changes to the show,
    1. Rob Grant left
    2. Rimmer left
    3. They added Kochanski
    4. Took away live audience
    5. Upped the season to 8 eps
    6. And replaced model shots with CGI,

if they made a series 7 (maybe even 8/9) with all of these 6 things still in tact series 7 would be just as well received as the previous ones, if not better, people might have said 7 was their favourite etc,

Series X restores 5 of these which is why is might not be as good as 1-6 but still really good, it would be nice for Rob Grant to come back or even guest write 1 episode, what else is he doing haha

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Writing novels, performing stand up comedy, teaching comedy scriptwriting classes, not watching Red Dwarf and having a new logo that definately doesn't scream "I want more than Red Dwarf on my tombstone"

[​IMG]

20. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol aka nothing
    rob smarten up
    get back on the team before it's to late :P