What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's all very well saying "get back on the team" but Rob Grant has gone on record as saying he didn't like series 7 and didn't watch series 8. His vision of Red Dwarf was clearly very different from Doug Naylor's so it's not at all likely that the two could work together on modern Dwarf. Also,as much as I might not like what someone was doing with characters and stories I created I don't think I could ever "not watch". That simply suggests to me that he doesn't even care about these characters anymore, so why put their fates in his hands? Doug Naylor can and has been criticised but he cares about Red Dwarf and its characters. That much is hard to deny.

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Completely incidentally, I'm sure I've heard this before somewhere, but find it very difficult to believe; it's a continuation of (OK, arguably, but almost universally accepted) his greatest creation. It would be ridiculous not to watch it. Maybe he was just demonstrating his point by saying this.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

when rob grant did carpool with mr llewellyn he said watching series 7 was like watching an ex wifes honeymoon video and he felt he had to be drunk to watch it, so he didnt even watch 8

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I find this difficult to believe somewhat

5. Reznor

Reznor Guest

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Proves nothing

7. bedfordfalls

He did say it. It was on a radio interview (not carpool) that I linked to on this very forum just a few months ago. I'm not sure which thread but its here somewhere if you look for it. Whether its true or not is another matter but it is his statement on things.

8. bedfordfalls

I guess it's down to personality but fan-fiction aside I'd struggle not to take an interest in what people were doing with my creations.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

how much does he hate doug? :O

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well they did commentary for the bodysnatchers dvd collection together in 2007, so they are fine with each other and still get on

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

and norm did one with everyone else... dosnt mean there's no hate :P

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah but rob left years before the commentary with doug, while norm left after he did the commentarys ;-) so make of that what you will

rob and doug settled there differences, norm doesnt want too

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hah so did norm!! but he came back :P
    rob and doug may have settled it to a degree.. guess we will never know unless one of them is very frank about it.
    and as for norm ... lol should be a interesting out come :P

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well they did 2 quick introductions on amazon for these products, the video is under the main picture of the dvds, this was done in 2007 and they seem to get on ok =)

amazon.co.uk just the smegs

amazon.co.uk bodysnatchers collection

oh yeah and they wrote the last part of the bodysnatcher script together in 2007 also =)

15. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol fine maybe they love each other...!! :P
    yet maybe norm can shed some light on this subject :O

16. bedfordfalls

He doesn't hate him. Did you not watch the Carpool?

They had different ideas about the direction of Red Dwarf and where it should go. It was Rob who decided he wanted to write his own Red Dwarf novel, it was Rob who decided he didn't want to be involved with the television show anymore. Why should he hate Doug Naylor?

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol no I'm only on 8:17/28:26 of carpool... will ferrel on the office is distracting me :P
    and as for the second part it just makes me sad!
    and why? i just sense it with my jedi skills? :P
    then again none of us would fully know :-D

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I like that interview and laughed in a few places :-D He was that funny at the signing of his book Fat! Great guy.

19. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

I'd assume that since they never really talked things out (which I get from the DVDs) and that they stopped hanging around each other, irrespective of RD, they don't like each other. It's probably that we see far more of Doug than Rob that we're more inclined to think Rob doesn't like Doug any more. Well that's how I feel. I hope it was a clean break and they're not interested in working together again but I'm not sure how such a partnership could end without some resentment.