What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

What a post! You have summed It up perfectly, especially your opinion of Kochanski. You never mentioned the 'he ain't heavy, he's my brother" line. Couldn't tell you what episode it was from, I can't watch them.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yep. This sums up the truth about 7 & 8 (well what I saw of it).

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

The alligator scene was made all the more impressive by the Nazi in the scene played by our own coronation street personality Reg Holdworth. (real name Ken Morley) What a guy.:lol:

4. jaybo1973

I am in the hate it camp. It was shocking. A far cry away from the fantastic writing in episodes such as stasis leak and thanks for the memory

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't remember that that well (although I'm sure you're right) but I do remember Ed Bye mentioning that he gave an explanation to the bloke in question. "Kryten didn't know..."
    He didn't complete the sentence but I'm sure he was implying that Kryten's knowledge of how to use the time-drive was limited in Series 6. As in, maybe it could always move through time and space he's just not figured out that bit.

6. simulant37

Oh that's ok then. A good excuse for lazy writing! :x

7. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The thing is, I really like VII and feel it's just as funny with a slightly more epic feeling scale (the idea of an illness with a personality is classic, as is the opening to 'Stoke Me a Clipper'). VIII seems like nothing is used of a great idea - if it had been a single set up episode followed by five episodes of prison escapades and Canary missions, I'd have prefered it. It suffers from looking rushed and badly written - I mean, what the Hell is plot to 'Only the Good'?

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never knew he was a Coronation Street actor, but now you've mentioned it I suddenly recognise who he played in the Street. It was a good performance by him in Stoke Me a Clipper but that whole scene, like much of post-series 6, just feels very un-Dwarfy to me. It seemed that Doug was trying too hard to impress with a big fan-pleasing spectacle, as with the dancing Blue Midgets and Pete.

9. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Perhaps these things aren't fan pleasing spectacles, but what Doug thought would make him laugh if he'd seen it, and hoped would make others laugh, too. Why, when we don't like something someone does, do we always have to try to devalue it by assuming they've acted for disingenuous reasons? People aren't always selling out if they create something we happen not to enjoy.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's just that I sense a lot of self-indulgence in those examples I gave, which is a feeling I don't get for anything from series 1 to 6.

11. simulant37

Yep, 7 was annoyingly self-indulgent & it felt like they had run out of ideas. The characters had become annoying & the decision to carry on without Rimmer demonstrates the lack of care taken.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oh that's ok then. A good excuse for lazy writing! :x[/quote]

Did I say I was trying to excuse the writing? I actually wasn't keen on the change in rules concerning the time drive... although I did like the episode Tikka to Ride overall.

I just thought it interesting he came up with an explanation...

13. simulant37

Did I say I was trying to excuse the writing? I actually wasn't keen on the change in rules concerning the time drive... although I did like the episode Tikka to Ride overall.

I just thought it interesting he came up with an explanation...[/quote]
    To me it just sounds like a desperate attempt on his part to explain a careless attitude to plotting.

14. jaybo1973

God, I had forgot about the blue midgets dancing. I was going to try 8 again but I don't think ill bother. As mentioned in another thread, I have only seen the series twice, once when on tv and then when I got the DVD; why did I get it on the day of release? I do remember it being an improvement over 7, but not much. I think most would disagree. Both very un dwarf like. I think this discussion will go on forever! Maybe if X is red dwarf again, we may forget about it a bit.

15. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i loved that scene as a build up to the whole reality sucks part.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Hands up all of those who, like me, loved the blue midgit dancing scene...or are wme and thecogre really the only ones? Serious question by the way, it just dawned on me that although many of us have differing tastes and varying opinions on series 7 and 8 especially, i can't actually recall anyone else here ever saying they like that scene (could be wrong through), even a friend of mine who feels series 8 is one of the best seems to dislike that scene...surely i'm not the only one who really enjoys it through, am i?.

I can see why people are not keen on it, and i agree that the cgi isn't ideal (which doesn't bother me personally in the slightest when it comes to RD), but for me it's a fun scene and a nice little recall of the Cats dancing talents.

17. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

*raises both hands in the hopes of being counted twice*

18. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

*Raises hand*

I seem to remember when I first saw it I thought it was a fairly silly* part of the show, but it sat well enough in a series of Red Dwarf that relied more heavily on quite silly humour. Rewatching the series on DVD, I think it has to be taken into account the crew are in VR, which perhaps gives them more freedom in which to play out their escape and prove their intentions, and also it supports the 'reality sucks' gag, which I quite like.

*I don't consider calling humour 'silly' to be derogatory. I would describe much of Fawlty Towers as 'silly', and, well, Monty Python's Flying Circus...

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Watching the dancing Blue Midgets scene is about the only time that I feel embarrassed to be a Red Dwarf fan. Although it's my least favourite full-length series of Red Dwarf I don't really mind series 8, and I can really enjoy it if I forget about series 1 to 6 and just take it for what it is. But the Blue Midgets dance just makes me cringe.

20. supercat

supercat Console Officer

It makes me want to crawl inside a hole and never get out. It's so embarrassing!! And I love The Cat. I loved Tongue Tied in series 2. It was also cringe worthy, but in a funny way as opposed to an I want to crawl inside a hole now way.