What's wrong with Series VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cepillo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i hated the dibley family reservoir dogs poop

the dibley family alone was an example of doug expanding (scraping the barrel) on jokes again, i mean yeah duane dibley is great so how can we step up on that gag... i know why dont we make all main cast look like that :roll:

and krytie tv being the worse episode of red dwarf for me, esp when you look at episodes like back to reality then compare it to krytie tv... its like a totally different show :?

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The more I read about it the happier I am that I gave up after the first episode of series 8.

3. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

But then you haven't seen Cassandra, the best episode of VIII.

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

:s

5. simulant37

Hardly the most encouraging of endorsements!

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Cassandra does seem relatively popular for a series 8 episode, but it's my least favourite from that series.

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

even more so than krytie tv?

8. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Well, I'm just watching duct soup. Thought I would try the rest or series 7 again. It's hard work.

Edit: moved onto blue. Just little things wind me up. Why in the flashback of the locker room game, does Rimmer have his hard light suit on. It was supposed to be back in The early days on board red dwarf

9. Karrakunga

Karrakunga Skutter

There's a high chance that I'm going to get shouted at but I actually enjoy watching series VII and VIII.

I'll agree they're is a lot lacking, I personally hate the fact that the cat has been pretty much domesticated. But these two series are needed as a marker to show what rock bottom is.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Indeed, it's certainly a silly scene (as are many scenes in Red Dwarf over all really) but i think it works in the context of the episode, and the most excellent 'reality sucks' gag. I love the two actresses who play the ground controller in those scenes, admittedly for two quite different reasons :-) ) The real ground controller cracks me up with that laugh of her's, as well as her last line "come back Mr. Sucks!, come back!". Well, it makes me laugh anyway.

And indeed the fact that the crew are in VR, that it's not actual reality is important to remember too. It doesn't feel forced to me at all (although i can accept that many seem to disagree with that) it's just the kind of thing one would expect from Cat in that situation really, as is his tongue tied dream.

Bluey wrote:

Supercat wrote:
    That's funny, i don't remember saying "hands up all those who hated that scene"!

... ;-)

Man Plus wrote:
    I must admit this of one of my few pet peeves about Red Dwarf over all (or in anything that lacks continuity). Although that's certainly not subjective to the later series by any means (nore are quite a few of the many other complaints some have about series 7 and 8) , it's pretty much always been that way as far as lack of continuity goes. Certainly from series 3 onwards anyway.

However, going purely off what i've heard Rob Grant say in numerous interviews, it would seem that he was much more concerned about continuity than Mr.Naylor ever was. The latter apparantly had the view that "if we don't like how it turned out initially, why keep it the same just for the sake of continuity?" or words to that effect. And while i can of course see the logic in that, if i were Rob, i must admit that would bother me muchly, and as a fussy (passionate) fan it bothers me a bit too.

I'm not saying i'm against change, period, far from it, but perhaps some of those changes could've transisioned with a little more subtlety?. The shift between series 2 and 3 for example is quite jarring for many. Although having said that, the above mentioned are my favourite series over all so it's obviously not a major annoyance in that sense. I do feel the transition could've been a little smoother through in that case...but that's just me, and at the end of the day, it's a comedy show with a very limited running time per episode.

In the example of the uniforms not matching in series 7 flashbacks however, i do feel that was a big mistake personally.

Don't get me wrong i'm not joining the "Rob was the better writer" brigade, i don't believe that for a second, but i do think they most certainly complimented each other in various ways of maintaining a nice ballance. But yeah, for me, the continuity has been a little disapointing over the years (but only a little), through i'm sure this point is irrelivent to many, which is fair enough.

Anyway, so far as my opinion of series 7 and 8 over all...i like them, and i get a lot of enjoyment from watching them back on dvd every now and then, and will continue to do so. They're not my favourites, but there are so many positives in both series' that i feel don't get given the credit they deserve really.

simulant37
    Are you saying you've never even seen the series other than the first episode? Or just that gave up after that episode the last time you tried to watch the series?

Edit: Actually, going back to the uniforms not matching in series 7 flashbacks, now i come to think of it i think i remember it being mentioned in the dvd docu that that was more a costume department desicion as opposed to Doug himself...? I could be wrong through.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

When I watch series 8 and make myself forget about series 1 to 6 I can really enjoy it for what it is. And I'd say that Krytie TV is possibly my favourite episode of the series. But I still can't stand that B movie sequence.

12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I thought the B movie bit was funny, but didn't fit in with Red Dwarf at all. Not even with series VIII. It would have been a great little surreal dig at daft old science fiction movies if it had been in something like Futurama.

13. jaybo1973

Man Plus wrote:
    I must admit this of one of my few pet peeves about Red Dwarf over all (or in anything that lacks continuity). Although that's certainly not subjective to the later series by any means (nore are quite a few of the many other complaints some have about series 7 and 8) , it's pretty much always been that way as far as lack of continuity goes. Certainly from series 3 onwards anyway.

However, going purely off what i've heard Rob Grant say in numerous interviews, it would seem that he was much more concerned about continuity than Mr.Naylor ever was. The latter apparantly had the view that "if we don't like how it turned out initially, why keep it the same just for the sake of continuity?" or words to that effect. And while i can of course see the logic in that, if i were Rob, i must admit that would bother me muchly, and as a fussy (passionate) fan it bothers me a bit too.

I'm not saying i'm against change, period, far from it, but perhaps some of those changes could've transisioned with a little more subtlety?. The shift between series 2 and 3 for example is quite jarring for many. Although having said that, the above mentioned are my favourite series over all so it's obviously not a major annoyance in that sense. I do feel the transition could've been a little smoother through in that case...but that's just me, and at the end of the day, it's a comedy show with a very limited running time per episode.

In the example of the uniforms not matching in series 7 flashbacks however, i do feel that was a big mistake personally.

Don't get me wrong i'm not joining the "Rob was the better writer" brigade, i don't believe that for a second, but i do think they most certainly complimented each other in various ways of maintaining a nice ballance. But yeah, for me, the continuity has been a little disapointing over the years (but only a little), through i'm sure this point is irrelivent to many, which is fair enough.

Anyway, so far as my opinion of series 7 and 8 over all...i like them, and i get a lot of enjoyment from watching them back on dvd every now and then, and will continue to do so. They're not my favourites, but there are so many positives in both series' that i feel don't get given the credit they deserve really.

simulant37
    Are you saying you've never even seen the series other than the first episode? Or just that gave up after that episode the last time you tried to watch the series?

Edit: Actually, going back to the uniforms not matching in series 7 flashbacks, now i come to think of it i think i remember it being mentioned in the dvd docu that that was more a costume department desicion as opposed to Doug himself...? I could be wrong through.[/quote]

They can 'sort of' get away with it in series 2 to 3, i.e. They moved quarters, Rimmer fancied a change of uniform etc, etc, its not ideal, but it is believable. Flashback scenes cant work like that. It was a very poor decision.

Going back to what simulant37 was saying, I have only seen series 7 and 8 twice; once when on TV and then when I bought the DVDs. Just trying to work my way through them again now. Its tough going though.

14. simulant37

I gave up after the first episode when broadcast, other than the odd clip here & there I have not nor do I wish to see series 8

15. jaybo1973

A mate of mine was like that. He got part way through series 8 and gave up, he finished his DVD collection at series 6 and has never bothered with 7 or 8 since broadcast. He was an avid fan too

16. simulant37

I have 1 - 6 on dvd. Never want 7, 8 or BtE. ;-)

17. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I watched the whole of series 8 today- needed something on in the background while I sorted out my life- and it still annoys me. I think I laughed twice in four whole hours.... However, I have decided the whole series would have been redeemed by them actually managing to use the luck virus to escape at the end of BITR part 3 and the series premise then being the five of them in a Starbug trying to avoid the pursuit of the rest of the crew. This realisation only makes me more frustrated with what actually happens!

I can't just ignore it though. It's like picking scabs.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've often had the same thought that escaping at the end of Back in the Red followed by five episodes set on Starbug would have resulted in a better series. Bringing back the crew for the whole series was one of Doug's biggest mistakes, and I've often wondered by he decided to do that.

19. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

dang, i love having the whole crew back, and floor 13 thrown in. so weird

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i suspect he already had it planned he was going to reboot red dwarf with the movie in which case the crew would be back and doug was testing the waters and probably thought it was a cool idea at the time, the same way he did 7 without an audiance and orcastric music

thats series 8 for me also