Where did the laugh come from...?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by R.I.P. 2000, Dec 11, 2010.

1. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

There is laughter in the original Polymorph episode in that early segment, notabley when it sees itself in the mirror and in 'teeth-cam' mode if I recall. Is it possible that laughter was reused/moved?

3. bedfordfalls

I would also question the placing of it...it seems like a strange place to put laughter from the way you describe it. But then you can question the placing of a lot of things in the remastered Red Dwarf.

4. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'd also like to ask "Where did that laugh go?" when the dispenser giving the milk-shake and crunchy bar instead of the ship exploding in Bodyswap. Originally there was a huge laugh and an applause. In the Remastered there's barely a laugh.

5. bedfordfalls

The obvious answer seems to be that it fell through a wormhole and re-emerged in a service duct in polymorph.

6. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Also, in Backwards Re-mastered when Kryten “hilariously” puts the windscreen wipers on by mistake there is no laughter.... where as in the original there is. Perhaps Doug realised it was a terribly, unfunny joke!!! Quite a similar pattern amongst series 3!!

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought it was a clever little piece of visual humour. It's a typical Red Dwarf gag whose humour derives from a present-day phenomenon (in this case windscreen wipers) incongruously placed in a futuristic setting.

Very similar to the gear-grinding in the same scene and Lister propping up Kryten's head like a car bonnet in Tikka To Ride.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

[PEDANT MODE]
    Technically I don't think a recorded laugh would be counted as canned laughter. As long as it is people actually laughing at that particular gag of course. If they just use any laugh for that gag then yeah...
    [/PEDANT MODE]

9. bedfordfalls

I watched a bit of Backwards remastered tonight and I noticed that there is quite a bit of laughter removed entirely. A couple of examples are after Rimmer's "I'll just put 'Kryten'" (big genuine sounding laugh replaced by silence) and during Holly's "Autopilot" rant. I suppose with the latter it could be said that the laugh is obscuring Holly's speech but the same can't really be said with the Rimmer line.

Any idea why this episode seems to have had so much laughter removed? Also, is this only possible with scenes not recorded in front of a live audience?

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

You can remove laughs from scenes with an audience. Or at least massively minimise them.

11. bedfordfalls

What would have been the likely reasons for doing so in Backwards remastered, if you don't mind me asking?

For me, Rimmer's "I'll just put 'Kryten'" was the punchline to the joke and funnier than the stuttering that comes before it, so it's odd to hear it punctuated with silence now.

12. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvB_ybcKt0

13. bedfordfalls

Someone commenting on that video makes a good point, that writing a show with or without audience laughter does (or perhaps) should change the way a writer writes the show (and possibly the way the actors respond). This video isn't a good example as it WAS written with a studio audience in mind and presumably in person however I think that it might apply to why some of the jokes in BtE fell flat as they appeared empty and awkward without any response to their punchlines.

I liked the fact that Lister reacted to Kryten's mocking of Rimmer as they boarded the bus as it dissolved the awkwardness that some of the more classical jokes had around them with only an empty silence to greet them.

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The punchline joke shape remains, though - it's positively prevalent in the American Office and Modern Family, which have no audience reaction/laugh track, but rarer in Seinfeld, which did.

That's less about writing entirely different types of joke and more about style, performance and direction. It's not the joke so much it's about the moment after the joke - most obviously whether there's a pause or not.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i have to say i was kinda confused as to why the laughter track was different in the remastered versions, and yet at some points it was the same as the original

bodyswap seemed to have a completely different laughter track that didnt do the episode any justice

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Well, considering that Bodyswap was shot without an audience (for the voice replacement), the Remastered fiddling got a chance to screw it up in a new and original way.

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I have to say, I never found any record that the overall laughter mix in certain Series III eps was to be changed. I suspect the final result - that oddly lower level and seemingly missing layer of sound - was a mistake.

Nor is it the only one: while I don't care for the changed ending to Polymorph, the caption and layout were apparently not on the final ep in the way Doug had approved. That 'correct' version is now lost, but it suggests some cut corners and glitches in the Remastering process.