Which ending do you like better for Only the Good?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MichaelJRimmer, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    The original aired ending or the deleted one that can be seen here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDQ2EbnK1E&feature=related.
    I prefer this one as it ties it up. I also like that the nanobot crew got screwed over. They deserved it. They left Rimmer, Lister, the Cat, I assume senile Holly, Kryten and Kochanski. Though Kochanski isn't one of my favorite characters.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For so many reasons I think that that would have been an infinitely better conclusion to the series than the one we ended up with. Mostly I like the fact that it's so much more upbeat and not inconclusive, the same reason why I sometimes prefer the alternative version of Out Of Time's ending.

3. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I prefer the happy ending, as it at least brings some closure and good luck to the Dwarfers.

4. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

not sure... the Happy Ending clearly shows that the rest of the crew survives, whereas with Rimmer nailing Death I could think of him inadvertently saving himself and the main characters in some weird sci fi way which I personally find more interesting....
    There could be a subplot of Death being so cheeses off that he concentrates on getting Rimmer and forgets to let other people die and then the cats and dogs sleep together and then... oh dear...

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the happy ending would of been better to use, but at the same time the happy ending is still cringe worthy for me, just the way the crew are acting seems like everything with series 8... over the top

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I thought leaving the crew to die was rather too cold to me, although not entirely out of Rimmer's character I suppose considering him considering dumping Lister and Kryten out of an Airlock in The Inquisitor. That was inspired mainly by fear though, but even so.

I prefer my Rimmer not to be too homicidal.

SPOILER, if you haven't seen Back To Earth: (Highlight between brackets to read. And don't quote unless you change the colour as it'll show up on a grey background:-(
    [ I wasn't over sure of the way he disposed of the holo-lady in Back To Earth for the same reason, although I understand why they took that route. I'd have preferred to have seen the 'got her arrested' original idea, but I understand that time was a factor. ]

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I posted the youtube tag accidentally. Not sure how. I'm unable to modify the post though as I get a 'title to long' error when I try to post it. Usually deleting the 'RE:' at the start of the title deals with that* but for some reason I'm unable to edit the title bar any more.

Which means this post might not work either, but lets see...

*I'm not sure why that's needed really, it's not an email after all.

8. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Happy ending as it was funny and returned the show to my preferred formula of a small casted crew. But if a season 9 had have come out one year after season 8 first aired and it had continued the death ending storyline straight away as I'm sure it was meant to do I might have a different view on this...

9. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I liked it because the ending was like any episode. A joke. I guess it was like the ending to Better Than Life. Rimmer gets hurt. And for Rimmer being cold to the crew.....THEY LEFT HIM THERE TO DIE! I mean really! They weren't prisoners, they were on probation. They were registered "officers" (though Kryten, Lister and Rimmer and the Cat aren't)

10. 57194q

57194q Guest

the secnd ending has better contiuity.

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

was that written in english?

12. 57194q

57194q Guest

sorry

the second had more continuity.

13. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I prefer the one we got since I choose to look at it as a metaphor for nano Rimmer dying and being brought back as a hologram.

What were the other endings again? Ace Rimmer rescue and Red Dwarf crashing to Earth whereupon Lister and Rimmer have to exchange details with the planet's inhabitants?

The latter would be my second choice. Not too big on the crew getting back home though, I fear Garbage World will turn up.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wouldn't mind seeing a Garbage World earth in future, although, since that's been done already in the novel-verse, I'd prefer something else. I'd prefer they didn't crash into an Earth that was identical to our own. Unless there turned out to be a twist, but again, done before.

I would like to see the Earth of the 3 Million AD (+2200 years or so) time period at some point.

As for the thread subject, I think I prefer the ending we got too. I hope the resolution is dealt with in future series if only in narrated briefly by the characters.

15. 57194q

57194q Guest

no that wasnt it at all

16. carparkattendant

carparkattendant Third Technician

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZroR5DdKRI

I've mentioned this before but here's a fan edit of Only The Good which cuts out some bad jokes and Talia and includes a tightened up version of the alternative ending. I think it's the best possible viewing option of the last BBC show.