Which Reality It Is Set In...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Milburn, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Milburn

Milburn Skutter

OK I've tried to resist posting about BTE due to reading all these picky smegheads spamming the forum with their opinions on the whole thing without watching the whole thing.

E.g.
    Also people who are complaining about the continuity blablablablabalbala.

E.g.
    I believe that I needed to express the following points in their own thread so all the 'clever ones' can see them thus shutting up about said irrelevant issue.
    Being a Dwarfgeek I've thought about this to the best of my abilities which I hope the fans can appreciate.

1. Which Reality Is It Set In:
    It could be any of infinity realities. Probably one we haven't seen before; the one where they don't lose Red Dwarf.
    This explains why Red Dwarf is the original design (the nanobots wouldn't have rebuilt it with all the swanky new features) and also why Rimmer's still around - the Rimmer who was with them with the despair squid.
    Also, we haven't seen what happens in series X.
    Possibilities are endless and thus no-one need question it. So shush up if you want to complain about it.

2. ...So How Did Kochanski Get On Board Then...:
    Dimensional tears are probably common in deep space and with the other adventures the crew had that we didn't see (in the reality in the BTE episodes).
    Also, we haven't seen what happens in series X.
    Possibilities are endless and thus no-one need question it. So shush up if you want to complain about it.

3. The Squid Being On Starbug:
    *See 1*

4. Why They're Not In The Mirror Universe:
    *See 1*

5. How Rimmer Is Dead Again:
    *See 1*

6. Why Was There No Laughter Track:
    This one is my opinion.
    I don't think the laughter track would have worked because of the tone of BTE. I don't think they were intended to be 'classic episodes', just gems in their own right. This is why I'm smegged off at the people whining on about the episodes not being funny because it's a story in itself and should have been judged as a whole rather than how it was handled on the forum (no offence to wanting feedback from the fans, but online communities these days expect things all in one otherwise they just lose interest being the impatient idiots they are).

8. How was the likes of corrie so accurate in their hallucination:
    This was playing on our existing knowledge of the show. Meaning that we would obviously know how it looks and the reputation of it due to the fact that we are actually not really but have been 'programmed' as it were to think these things.

9. How Did The Kids On The Bus Know About Kochanski When They Were Part Of The Hallucination:
    The squids produces a 'group hallucination' so it's plausible that Kryten's thoughts somehow 'leaked' into the hallucination.

(Any more then feel free to post them HERE and not in the 'feedback' thread.
    I would have gone through all the threads to try give an explanation for people's queries about the show but most of the forum doesn't actually load right now due to people signing up just to say 'WOZ CRAP LOLZ').

2. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

are you trying to suggest the Dwarf boys aren't the ones we watched go through all of the series, this is a crew who did the same, but not exactly the same details, etc? Makes little sense that.

3. Milburn

Milburn Skutter

Yeah, like for the BTE crew series 6, 7 and 8 didn't happen.
    I think it was Doug himself who talked about the theory of every series (and possibly episodes) being different dimensions.
    Clears up virtually all continuity.

4. Milburn

Milburn Skutter

9. How Did The Kids On The Bus Know About Kochanski When They Were Part Of The Hallucination:
    The squids produces a 'group hallucination' so it's plausible that Kryten's thoughts somehow 'leaked' into the hallucination.

5. Mr523P

Mr523P Skutter

That would work for me if it weren't for Cat mentioning that Corrie was worse than Rimmerworld, which was set during the Starbug era.

6. Milburn

Milburn Skutter

It's possible that Rimmerworld occurred in the BTE reality in a way we didn't see.

7. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

We've already seen examples of that before. After all the mucking about with causality in "Timeslides", it transpired that Rimmer had actually survived the accident that wiped out the crew. This effectively meant that series I and II, as well as "Backwards", "Marooned", "Polymorph" and "Body Swap" unfolded in entirely different ways - or even not at all ("Body Swap" in particular, as why would Rimmer have wanted Lister's body when he was still alive?)

Another example would be the change in status of Lister's relationship with Kochanski. Prior to "DNA", he had talked about having wanted to get together with Kochanski but never managed it. Then in "DNA" we learn that Lister and Kochanski had been an item. This may also have been a consequence of the alterations made in "Timeslides".

Then of course there's the predictions made in "Future Echoes" and "Stasis Leak" which never came to fruition...

There is a compellng case for them having repeatedly altered their own histories in such a way as to make many of the older episodes "non-existent" in the way that we understand them.

Ronnie

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

So this is an alt reality where they don't lose Red Dwarf, but they still find legion who gives them the hard light bee, Rimmer still winds up on Rimmerworld, they still wind up getting Kochanski from a dimension tear.

Stretching it a bit isn't it? :lol:

9. aweaver

aweaver Skutter

I'd say it's the same reality we have been watching since Red Dwarf started. We will have to wait for series 9 and 10 for the events of what happened. The Joy Squid is just the female version of the despair squid, as noted Cat brought it back to eat it but it escaped.