Which Rimmer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by markmagness, Apr 17, 2009.

1. markmagness

markmagness Third Technician

Opinions. Is the Rimmer in BTE a new hologram of the Rimmer seen in series 8? Or the original Rimmer hologram back from his jaunts as Ace?
    If the former how come he's Hardlight? Why didnt he need more explanation regarding the despair squid? He wasn't there.(I know he has had access to the records and files but he didnt seem to need any filling in).

2. nelix847

nelix847 Third Technician

the uniform he has on looks like from series 5. Same with cat

3. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

He may have been like a copy of Rimmer before he left to be Ace i.e. the rimmer before Stoke me a Clipper.

Same memories etc, explaining how he knew about the Despair squid.

4. markmagness

Interesting thought, but how is he hardlight if the original Rimmer left with his hardlight bee?

5. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

yeah that bugged me, and you cant say the upgraded ship had hard light technology. First off the ship looks old style again, short and stubby.

not to mention Legion was the only person in existence to invent hard light technology.

6. vherostar

vherostar Skutter

not only that but the crew were missing too. The whole episode did not make sense...

7. markmagness

Yes I must admit I wanted to know where the crew were and what their fate was, this whole "lets just not explain it" thing and the "series 9 and 10" thing annoy the hell out of me, why not just call it series 9 and accept that its 9 years later? Since Rob Grant left the show, there have been a lot of things like that. Continuity just doesnt seem to matter to Doug Naylor.

8. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

If I'm honest - when it comes to the continuity of the series Rimmer hasn't aged, - why should he, he's a hologram. I think he has just existed for three million and nineteen years in deep space. :idea:Maybe the hologram support disc was damaged in the flood which makes him age, or something.:?
    Another thing, why would dispair oil affect him:?: If he cant touch things, surely things cant touch him, right:?:

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

To be fair, While I agree that Doug needs to work more on his continuity, when did continuity ever matter to Rob Grant?

The fact was BTE only had limited running time, therefore it was best not to waste it on a lengthy explanation to a cliffhanger many people might not even remember. There's nothing to say it wouldn't be resolved or explained across a series where there is more time for it.

10. 2x4b523q

We'll probably find out in Series IX/X.

11. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

They didn't have to invent hard light technology. It was already invented. All they had to do was convert any light bees they had over to hard light technology, which looks as easy as pulling a string of crepe paper out and dropping a walnut in. I can't think of anything stated in any episode that said they couldn't create a new Rimmer hologram if the old one ever left. It seems pretty clear that they did.

Maybe they could do a scene where Darth Vader shows up and says "I see that you have managed to construct a new Light Bee. Very resourceful."

12. 2x4b523q

:!: Perhaps Rimmer was brought back to life in at the end of Series VIII, but was killed in the flood, so his hologram was that of a simulation of him that had died, which was older than who we saw in 52 (because he was brought back to life and had aged slightly.)

13. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

agreed. then the others come back through a mirror save whats left of the ship. holly creates new nannos and rebuilds it but differently this time.then rimmer is booted up as a hollogram once again. and hopefully the crew aboard the starbugs and blue midgets met a grizzly death at the hands of the microbe NEVER TO BE SEEN EVER AGAIN

14. markmagness

I think when it comes to Rimmer aging it just has to come down to suspension of belief

15. markmagness

I agree, its not a continuity problem in itself but it does cause continuity problems, such as Rimmer being hardlight and knowing so much about the despair squid.

16. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

i might the series 8 Rimmer who died and the crew just told him what happened when the crew dies the first time, so reiterated their experiences, including the despair squid. However, i'd rather think it was the old Rimmer that went to become ace.

17. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

Somewhere (series VIII DVD extras?) the different endings to Only The Good were being discussed and one that was never filmed was mentioned. Apparently one of Doug's ideas was to have 'Ace' turn up and save Rimmer from the ship at the end.

Personally, unless we learn otherwise, I'm going to believe that our Ace did just that, and that he ended up staying with the crew and VIII Rimmer switched with him to become the next Ace Rimmer. :-)

18. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Or an easier explanation is that Kryten simply copied the technology for future use. He did piece together the matter paddle and various technologies through the show, copying a simple hardlight chip should not have posed a problem.

19. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

and unwritten law on red dwarf seems to be once they discover somehting they always have it .. like the viruses ... and in back to earth they mention that the matter padel time drive and timeslides are all aboard red dwarf still... so i think its safe to assume they would still have the technology to have hard light holograms. i don't think it will ever be answerd as which rimmer it is. casual fans probly wont remember a storyline involving rimmer leaving 12 odd years ago they will just remember that he is a hologram.

i think its safe to say viii died and was braught back as hologram with old memories also included.......

the end

20. Anomaly_Pete

Anomaly_Pete Skutter

Maybe Rimmer asked Holly to make him age so that he could live a more "normal" life, and be in keeping with Lister and Kat. Mehhhh