Which Rimmer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by markmagness, Apr 17, 2009.

1. haplessweasel

haplessweasel Skutter

I was kind of thinking it might make sense that holograms would normally age, pretty much for that reason. It would be kind of weird if they didn't.

2. nathall

nathall Skutter

Wasn't the fact that holograms age alluded to in the beginning of "Rimmerworld" when Kryten is giving him a "physical?" Or am I remembering wrong? If so, I've been living under a false assumption for many years. It's been a long time since I've watched that episodes but for some reason I've had it in my mind since then that holograms age normally.

3. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

well rimmer didnt age for the 600 years he was in rimmerworld . but in out of time his future self had aged... and in sfx magazine before the specials doug naylor said rimmer had aged because he hadnt had his holo services because he did not know about them

4. jsminch

jsminch Skutter

Why is everyone assuming that the Rimmer in BTE was from the original Red Dwarf dimension?

As soon as the writers began playing with dimension jumping and time travel continuity problems were history.

5. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Exactly, RD is full of these kind of things, you don't get them on other sitcoms. But that's the nature of sci-fi I suppose.

6. markmagness

markmagness Third Technician

Thats a bit of a stretch. It stands to reason that anything called a "Drive" would be behind the running of that technology.
    It's quite clear that hardlight technology is a new discovery, which was created by Legion when he was a gestalt entity composed of Heideger, Davro, Holder, Quayle and the other physicists.

7. The_Nimon1

The_Nimon1 Third Technician

The Ace in the stoke me a clipper episode was also a hardLight Hologramme. This is set 9 years after RD 8 so anything could have happened, aybe they went back a visited legion?

8. markmagness

Drive has always meant that, its always the thing running something or causing something to happen, being machine, action, or force. eg "Gear DRIVE", "Chain DRIVE", "to DRIVE a car", "to DRIVE someone to do something", "DRIVING force", "warp DRIVE", "hyperDRIVE", "holly hop DRIVE".
    In the case of Removable Media, Drive is where the software is stored which DRIVES the computer. With the exception of media such as memory sticks which are not bootable, and not usually known as Drives.
    BOO YAH!

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not quite. If you look at the scene where Legion performs the upgrade, he actually removes everything from the casing and installs a new chip. It's obviously done for comic effect, but the suggestion is, one piece of technology has been replaced for another. Only the shell remains the same.

I think this is partly due to pacing (i.e they need to move the story along) and the simple fact that the guys have encountered so much fabulous stuff along the way it's become run of the mill. I think they were surprised enough anyway. They just weren't going to jump up and down waving their arms going "WOOO! GOOD ONE! SMEGGING GREAT!" They're mostly English remember. (Well Rimmer's a colonial, but he's still got his roots...Cue dandruff gag...)

I actually agree, that in all his time it's quite possible Kryten had heard of hardlight technology. (He had a long life before he even met the crew after all.) He might have even heard of the scientists, probably did in fact. However, I'm certain that it was Legion who invented the technology in the first place. No doubt, in the years/centuries/millenia, the technology became widespread and other companies made hardlight bees (which might explain why Ace Rimmer go hold of the technology.) but someone had to come up with it in the first place.

I certainly don't think it had been invented when the crew set out in Red Dwarf though. Rimmer would have mentioned it I think.

As for just 9 years between Rimmer and Ace, I think it's been much more than that, just considering the shere amount of light bees circling that planet. (Actually by the crewmember own aging it would be less. Apart from Rimmer and his centuries long fun on Rimmerworld.) But in real time 2 centuries have passed between series 5 and 6. Then there was the time dilation effects travelling through the wormhole to Rimmerworld, and assuming that was both ways, surely that'd be a good 1000 year? Not sure how that works.

Even then, I don't think that would equate to the millions of light bees we see. I suspect more relative time has passed for the Aces. Maybe due to time travel, time dilation due to high speed travel or time travelling at different rates in different dimensions.

10. markmagness

I doubt Hardlight technology ever made it out of Legions space station, as he probably kept the physicists prisoner there until they died in order to preserve his existense, and as for Ace having access to the technology, hes a dimension jumper, theres definitely another dimension where the technology was commercially available.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

We don't know that Legion kept them locked up, at least in the early days. That incarnation of Legion might not have been insane. The physicists might not have left, but that doesn't mean their technology didn't. There are communication systems, a space postal service, etc, etc. (I'd like to know how they ended up 3 million years in deep space though. I never really thought of that.)

Good point about Ace Rimmer though.

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

A key point to remember here is with the original Ace. When he set off from his dimension it was... whatever century. Probably the 23rd, based on that being Lister's roots and him and Rimmer being from the same era. It might say somewhere but I can't remember. Anyhow, in his first jump he leapt three million years not only into deep space to encounter our boys, but also three million years into the future. Therefore for Ace there is a lot more than just the effects already mentioned. Over the endlessness that could span from potential time jumps as well as space jumps and dimensional jumps, the millions of light bees could have had a very very long time to gather.

Although one question is why they are all present in a single dimension. Surely they'd be orbiting whatever planet that was in the dimensions of their respective deaths?

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Do you mean that while Ace recruits the next from a parrallel dimension there would already exist Aces in other dimensions doing the same thing (at some point.) Concerning multidimensional theory that makes sense, and they'd certainly mount up. If they all came to the same dimension, as you say (which is a bit strange.) Maybe the first ever Ace (or the first successor) sent out some kind of pan-dimensional signal to all his counterparts letting him know the coordinates of the Ace 'graveyard planet'.

That wormhole was awfully convenient though wasn't it?

14. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Does Rimmer's delivery of the line "Hard light?" not imply that he hasn't heard of it before?

15. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Aye, it's quite obvious he's never heard of it before. It may be that Kryten could have heard of it before though, in much the same way he had heard of the Holoships and such forth before leaving Earth. Programmes in the early stages of development and all that. If he had heard of the four who developed Legion and thusly the hard light drive (without them, no Legion) this becomes a feasibility.

16. Anomaly_Pete

Anomaly_Pete Skutter

but "Which Rimmer?"...

I'd like to think that the original Rimmer Returned as Ace and resumed the role of Rimmer after saving Lister, Kryten, Cat and Kochanski. Unfortunately, series 8 Rimmer died.

My 2 pence

17. kakchris

i think if it was the original rimmer surely he would be different considering hes supposedly been flying around saving the universe .. if he ever came back to the dwarfers he would never let them forget that he is a hero. and his character would surely be different.. which is why i assume its series 8 rimmer resurected with old holograms memories untill he left to be ace ... so basicly its both rimmers.

18. Anomaly_Pete

Anomaly_Pete Skutter

Good point, but theres something i dont like about that.

I dont like the fact that the original Rimmer has gone (possibly forever), what is he doing? What has he gotten up to?

Hmm, I smell a spin-off?

19. kakchris

i thought about that a while ago, the idea of there being a spin off haha but its very unlikely... i suspect he went around saving the universe untill he passed the torch much like all the others did .. so basicly when we see ace's funeral its sort of rimmers aswell .. maybe that ace rimmer was our ace coming back to teach himself thus casuing a paradox so ace will continue forever ... im just ramblig on now

20. twitterreddwarfquotes

twitterreddwarfquotes Skutter

Classic :lol: "your skills are complete"