Who and Dwarf in 1989

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Baxters_Hooch, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I was watching a documentary about the end of the original Doctor Who today, and was surprised to see Mike Tucker, the man who did a lot of the special effects for Red Dwarf, being interviewed on it. It set me off thinking about how Red Dwarf, by total coincidence, came along at the same time Doctor Who ended. Is Red Dwarf an indication, in terms of special effects, of what Doctor Who would've looked like in the 1990s? How do the two series relate to each other?

Early Red Dwarf always used to bring up thoughts of Blake's 7 for me - indeed all BBC sci-fis have a common, but wonderful, feel to them. But I've never really thought before how the two brilliant, yet so different, shows that are Who and Dwarf compare to each other. They overlapped for two years in 1988 and 1989 - I wish I had been there to see it!

Discuss!

2. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

In terms of Who, you really didn't miss very much.
    When the Doctor starts fighting Bertie Bassett it really is time to take a break.

[​IMG]

3. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

Eh, I actually enjoyed "The Happiness Patrol" - well the story mind you, not the ridiculous costumes/hair or that bertie bassett thingy. There were a few good stories in McCoy's run though, Remembrance of the Daleks, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric and Survival are at least worth renting once if you're a fan of classic Doctor Who. I realize it's quite fashionable in some circles to bash the 7th doctor much like it used to be quite fashionable to hate on the 6th (but now it's fashionable to say he's underrated, which I thought all along anyway) but I don't put much stock in "conventional fan wisdom".

I think if Doctor Who had continued and not gotten treated by the powers that be at BBC like the red headed stepchild it probably would have had a similar budget to Dwarf at the time. You wouldn't have gotten anything astounding but I think it would have been an improvement over the flimsy sets and effects they were getting at the time. There are some stories that were written for the proposed s.27, I think Big Finish turned a few of them into audios, I know "Night Thoughts" was basically a series 27 script that was re-worked to add the character of Hex in.