Who doesn't like Only the Good, and why not?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Hi everyone,

As title. This is a safe space to air grievances and have a civil conversation about them.

I'm strangely fond of Only the Good. It has some really solid laughs - more (IMO) than the Dave era average. Also, in a whole bumper-sized season of oddities, it's one of just two story ideas that seem to be cut from the same cloth as classic Dwarf (the other being Cassandra).

I'd definitely say it isn't as well put-together as classic Dwarf. But that's how I feel about the recent seasons on Dave. I dimly recall that most of us don't rate Only the Good at all, but forum opinion is very much in favour of RDXI and XII. So, who doesn't like Only the Good, and why not?

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I liked Only The Good. It was a fun epsisode, I just didn't like the cliff hanger ending that never got resolved. It was fun seeing the mirror universe and Professor Cat.

Krytie TV and the second half of Pete are the only episodes that I didn't like of that series. Back in the Red went to long for my taste.

BigOleDummy and jmc2000 like this.
  3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The cliffhanger is a very fair criticism - especially since it was left to dangle as the de facto swansong for so many years!

If you took that out, I think I'd prefer the episode to all of post-X Dave era Dwarf, and at least half of X. And I'd like RDVIII a lot more, if Cassandra and Only the Good were typical (i.e., standalone Dwarf-style stories that happen in spite of the revived crew).

I think Pete part 2 is widely held to be the worst Dwarf ever? It's certainly bottom of my list - way below BTE, which I see a lot of good in.

Today's Fish... and FeeBee like this.
  4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I've always been a fan of series VIII, but 'Only The Good...' isn't an episode I especially look forward to watching. There are good bit. Somehow it feels an unsatisfying way to wrap the series. I don't mind the unresolved cliffhanger. It is what it is, as everyone is saying about everything these days. Somehow, it just doesn't fit into the rest of the series. And in a series often accused of silliness, this episode seems sillier than most.

FeeBee likes this.
  5. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I like BTE, just that I can only stand that episode in small doses so it doesn't get as many rewatches as everything else. Pete part 2 is certainly my least favourite episode.

If the cliff hanger was resolved in some form I'd probably like the end a lot more.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

One thing I've noticed is that my attitude softens when I no longer have to regard something as the last (possibly ever) Red Dwarf. So I used to be really bothered by the OTG cliffhanger, but now it's a non-issue. I also used to find the tonal departure of BTE unsettling, but I don't now it's a time-bound (temporary) experiment, rather than an oddly out-of-place coda to the whole franchise.

FeeBee likes this.
  7. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I hate all of series VIII. Only the good isnt the worst but I def dont think its good. The two pete episodes are by far the worst. They are so awful. Even Cassandra which people seem to like from 8 I dont like either. Tonally it doesnt bother me, because i dont mind the change from 2-3, 5-6, 8-bte or the dave episodes from the rest. I just don't think the episodes are funny, the crew being back is awful, the prison setting is awful (honestly until only the good, the fact they are on a space ship barely comes into play). I am less offended now than I was say 10 years ago. Because 10 years ago that bad episode was the last one now there has been 4 series since. So its hard to be that annoyed any more.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  8. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I don't like any of Series 8. The only half decent episode was Cassandra, but that alone couldn't save it.
    I disliked so much about the series, the way it was almost pantomime, kill crazy, the Pete two parter was abysmally unfunny and the acting seemed so bad in series 8.

9. Paul Taylor

There's always been an overall dislike of the 'Pete' episodes. I've always liked them. The word 'pantomime' is used a lot for series VIII. I can see why. For some reason the changes in comedic style (someone will no doubt say it's not a 'comedic style' when it's not funny; it makes me laugh) don't bother me. Dwarf changes tonally, and I've always looked for the best in it. I've made my peace with series VII, I always liked VIII, and only 'Back to Earth' still grates on me a bit. 'Only the Good...' is a weak episode in a series which is already unpopular I think, and has a cliffhanger which is never dealt with, so I can understand why it isn't well liked.

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I've always felt there was a good six-part series that could have been made from VIII (especially now the revival of the crew has also lost its sting for me, since it stopped being the "current" or "final" Dwarf).

I would open with a two-parter made from the best of BITR. I remember thinking it was a return to form, until I realised "last human parity" wouldn't be restored at the end of the story.

Then Cassandra, then an improved Krytie TV, then Time Wand (a new story based on the promising parts of Pete Part One), then Only the Good - but with a "reset button" instead of the cliffhanger.

Pembers and Paul Taylor like this.
  11. Paul Taylor

People really dislike the crew returning for VIII. I thought it was brilliant.

12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I'm not a big fan personally for a few reasons. First of all it comes right after the Pete double in which Rimmer and Lister are not only sentenced to 'the HOLE' but actually send the captain so barmy he goes there himself to get away from them. However OTG begins with them on probation.

I quite liked Rimmer's interaction with the vending machine and Rimmer and Lister realising they had Baxter’s hooch, through to the ‘drunk’ scene with Ackerman.

The stuff with the Cat trying to get hospitalised and Kryten’s ‘measles’ with Kochanski having a pot on her head were rubbish.

Then we get to the crew thinking about an ‘anecdote’ and Kochanski says quite matter of factly ‘A Mirror Universe’ and then all off a sudden bobs your uncle they’ve set up the machine all ready to go. I’m aware there is a deleted scene addressing this but if it’s deleted it’s non-canon.

Then the Mirror Universe, I sort of get having Rimmer as Captain (although strictly speaking it should have been Lister as he was lowest ranked) but then we just get a knob gag and the confusing interaction with sister wotsit (Who should have been completely different no?)

The Cat being a professor I can accept but no idea why Kochanski was a ditzy secretary.

I actually didn’t mind the ending, and I quite like how it’s just never been resolved, we can all make our own minds up.

13. Paul Taylor

I thought the whole mirror universe bit was dreadful! Although the series was never to be taken as seriously as previous series, nothing about the mirror universe made sense. As you said, the characters mirror selves didn't really seem right. I think Kochanski was suppose to be the reverse of an intelligent, self-reliant, ambitious woman, but there was hardly obvious. I'm not sure the Cat's most notable feature is his stupidity, so much as his vanity. And an unambitious slob like Lister would be more likely to be captain in a mirrorverse than an ambitious underachiever like Rimmer. It was a bad half of an episode that was to end on an annoying cliffhanger, which makes a poor end to the series.

14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I think I liked VIII more than a lot of people because of how I watched it. It was on netflix, which had the xtended versions of VII where applicable. They're fine once you know the episodes and want to play spot the difference, but dreadful for a first watch. I barely made it through. VIII was a welcome relief just having actual jokes and stories I could understand. The multiparters were certainly much better when I just immediately went from one to the next without a break to let the nastiness stew. Of course, I also never had to put up with Only the Good... being the final episode. I also had to bookend it with back to earth just seconds after VIII, which was a strange experience. By the time I'd finished BtE, I knew there was RDX, which I didn't have access to, so I supposed it was going to be the best Red Dwarf had ever seen. So I never really knew what something having to be a potential ending was like. I think that really made me see it differently. That's why I never had excessive problems with VIII, just knew that it felt different.

15. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I liked the idea although not the prison setting. Having Lister have to go back to Z Shift and report to Rimmer after becoming accustomed to being a space adventurer would have been better. The Canaries gimmick could have been retained to keep the Cassandra and Krytie TV plots similar.

I agree with @R.I.P. 2000 that 6 episodes, BITR 1, BITR 2, Cassandra, Krytie TV, 'Captains Office' and Only the Good.... would have been a decent series, with the ending re-setting the status quo somehow.

16. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Meant to say the Canaries thing could have been their punishment for stealing Starbug.

FeeBee likes this.
  17. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Very good point about returning to Z Shift, I hadn't ever considered that. Just being the two lowest-ranking crew members would make them natural shoo-ins for a dangerous mission like Cassandra, and I suppose you could remove the prison element from Krytie TV quite easily (I assume the showers are communal and gender-segregated for the normal crew too, and there could be some subplot to do with probation or punishment duty rather than outright detention).

18. Paul Taylor

So the annoying thing is, then, that Doug probably thought he was on to comedy gold putting the dwarfers in prison, when really all he had to do was go back to 'The End' and expand on that situation. I'd have been fine with that, too. I think some of the interactions in the first half of the first episode are some of the best in Red Dwarf.

jmc2000 likes this.
  19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

This thread's not even been open for a third of a day and we're already almost through a full page of this thread. You didn't even specify which 'only the good' you were talking about, but we all knew what it was and what the problems were. I think that shows that there's a problem with it.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  20. Paul Taylor

Have I misunderstood the title of the thread again, this time assuming it's about an episode of popular situation comedy Red Dwarf when really it's about why people don't only like good stuff?