Who doesn't like Only the Good, and why not?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I don't like things that are only good. It seems kinda fake to be entirely good. That's part of why I like Red Dwarf.

jmc2000 and Paul Taylor like this.
  2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Also the 'look' of that scene where they magically create the mirror universe is the best visual of series 8 for me, much better than the dingy prison with purpley/pink overalls.

Look how much more 'Dwarfy' everything looks here. If the whole series looked more like this it would have been a lot more palatable, in my humble opinion.

(Hope the screen grab is ok @Seb it's from my own Netflix account)

[​IMG]

Paul Taylor likes this.
  3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

That's part of why I have a soft spot for the episode. The mirror universe is hokey, but it just has a nostalgic "space fantasy" feel that reminds me of Timeslides, etc..

Similar to how Cassandra evokes Queeg for the AI villain (Fathers and Suns is also in this category) and Future Echoes/Out of Time for predestination.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Another classic Dwarf element in Only the Good: a shape-shifting something.

Sometimes the recycled elements in Red Dwarf feel uninspired. But I welcomed them in VIII, as an antidote to the massive format change.

Pembers likes this.
  5. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I think Doug enjoyed including the nostalgia of the first two series with the, albeit brief scenes of the bunk room. However I think he would have had far more success in getting that feeling of nostalgia by including the bunk room setting from series 3, 4 and 5 into series 10, 11 and 12. I just love those bunks they are awesome. Sorry gone off on a tangent now

6. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Looking back on this episode, it feels to be as though it had a lot cut out of it and then some scenes felt rushed almost as if they were ad-libbed such as the scene with Rimmer and Talia, it just does not work, I wonder if it was actually rehearsed, the sister/religious sister is almost a joke, but when said aloud you should release that a member of a religious order wouldn't announce them self as 'your sister'.

The opposite Rimmer being Captain when he was the second lowest ranked on the ship, and suddenly being able to access the mirror universe (I guess there was some writing around that which was lost on the way to production) - For me, there were a lot of minor issues like this throughout the series 8 which accumulated in my mind. I guess there are plot inconsistencies and plot holes in other series of Red Dwarf, but there was something about them in Series 8 that annoyed me more!

I enjoy the drunk scene though, I did enjoy Graham McTavish in most of his appearances in the series. Who fancies a kebab?

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Used to love the ending. It’s still moderately moving...

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Funny, I love the mirror universe scene with Talia. It's a good example of the surprisingly many laughs I got from RDVIII.

I see what you mean - the "sister" wordplay is slightly contrived - but I don't think it's beyond the realms of what someone might say, if there were multiple nuns and each was assigned one or more officers. E.g., "There are five sisters providing spiritual guidance to the senior officers, and yours is Talia" - "Yes, I will be your sister for the duration of the voyage," etc.. It never occurred to me that it was tenuous, but I suppose it is a bit.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

@wavesd

Also:

"I guess there are plot inconsistencies and plot holes in other series of Red Dwarf, but there was something about them in Series 8 that annoyed me more!"

I'm exactly the same with latter day Dwarf. I think it's because I was just less critical as a child. The silliness with modern English in Lemons is about on a par with the inconsistent reversals in Backwards. The ease of access to the mirror universe in Only the Good is no worse than the conveniently "mutated" developing fluid in Timeslides. But I definitely had to work harder to suspend my critical faculty for the later episodes.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Only the Good is my second least favourite episode of all time, and like the whole of season VIII it really is dreadful. The episode has some of my least favourite moments in the whole of Red Dwarf: 'Have A Fantastic Period', Rimmer and Lister getting drunk, Cat trying and failing to get himself beaten up, all that stuff in the alternate universe - especially the moments with Talia. They're all dumb. They're all unfunny. They even managed to make the vending machine annoying. And just when you think it can't get any worse, the Grim Reaper turns up. They should have gone with the ending in the deleted scenes. But no, for some reason they decided to choose the worst ending of possibly any sitcom episode in history. I don't know if I'll ever watch Only the Good again or indeed any episode of season VIII. I get nothing out of it apart from a feeling of slight depression. Next time I go through all the episodes from start to finish I'm going to leapfrog the whole season.

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I agree that Cat trying to get beaten up is awful, because I don't like the "sweet patooey (sp?) pumpkin pie" character. But I actually liked all the other scenes you list, and the vending machine too.

12. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Actually I agree somewhat. I thought it was kinda cool seeing Rimmer actually having a little courage and willingness to ACT. He knew that it was up to HIM to save them all and at least tried. Sure he was trying to save his own neck too but he ACTED instead of running away or hiding under the table. I liked that because when the chips are REALLY down who knows how we'll respond?

:lol:Well, I'm going out on a limb here by myself it seems ............ but I REALLY liked that part. As anyone who's read my interview knows..... I have been to prison, (Did the tour too, long story but if anyone is really interested pm me and I'll explain what that means), and that is closer to the reality than you might guess. Some of the biggest baddest boys, at least in the worst two stops on my tour, were pretty close to that character. In Lagrange , the biggest badest boy was as gay as they come and got off on fighting. Anyway.......... I think I may have liked that whole series a little more than most of you. Not the best but some very good times . (for me at least)

Paul Taylor likes this.
  13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The Mirror Universe bothered me because it was like, okay so the "mirror universe" is a different parallel universe to the "parallel universe". The variable in the parallel universe was that the sexes are reversed (except for Cat). The variable in the mirror universe is intelligence and jobs. How did Cat get a job as a professor on a ship where he was a prisoner, I mean was that Red Dwarf also a nano-resurrected Red Dwarf three million years into deep space? Had the alternate-alternate-Kochanski come from an alternate-alternate dimension with an alternate-alternate-holo-Lister?

There's all sorts of variables a "mirror universe" could have inverted. I can't recall, isn't it a gizmo that turns mirrors into gateways to this universe? Seemed to veer too much into magic, like Timeslides. Turns out it's a "mirror universe" because it's literally in a mirror. But the variable could have been anything. There could even be a different mirror universe where the humanoid crew are all mechs!

I like cliffhangers in and of themselves, but it's annoying when they're left hanging because the money didn't come together to do another series. I forget the details of why there wasn't a series IX, I think they were going to resolve the cliffhanger in the film. Although I enjoy the way the crew allude to it and then don't explain it in X. I don't need it to be explained, I'm satisfied with their acknowledgement that they remember it happened and they somehow got out of it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    FeeBee likes this.
  14. starbug489

starbug489 Skutter

I still think that the alternate ending should have been used. I know it's a bit weak, in that they probably wouldn't have been sitting around for two hours, waiting for Rimmer to memorise the antidote's formula, but I really think it tied things up much neater than the ending we got.

Also, wasn't there a third ending, where Ace Rimmer came back and saved the crew? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Chris Barrie was in his Ace costume when it was decided that they weren't going to film that ending?

15. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

In the script book for the series Doug Naylor talks about that yes.

16. starbug489

starbug489 Skutter

I thought they had. I think Ace coming back to save the crew would have been a real crowd pleaser, but I'm not sure it wouldn't have come across as a little forced...

Pembers likes this.
  17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

As I understand it, BBC decided not to commission a series IX as they preferred other projects at the time. Still one of the most bizarre decisions and I can't quite get my head around it.

Perhaps BBC weren't impressed with VIII (well, most of us don't like it as much) or they felt it had become too expensive to produce, or perhaps the ratings suffered.

This was 1999 where for the most part we pretty much still had only 5 channels and a bunch of digital channels who wouldn't have known original programming if it hit them in the face, let alone a suitable budget. I feel for Doug over those following 10 years. I wonder if he ever tried to get back in with the BBC or even other terrestrial channels - I can actually sort of see Red Dwarf doing well on Channel 4, if it had to. Perhaps pursuing a RD movie was his only viable option and it sucks it never came to fruition.

Anyway, I digress. At the point at which they decided to scrap the alternate ending and went with the cliffhanger no one probably envisaged that a year later, they'd have no channel. So I struggle to be too angry over the cliffhanger. In fact the cliffhanger and the alternate endings are not mutually exclusive. Series IX could well have started with that alternate ending, therefore actually starting the new series with a) the dwarf saved from the microbe and b) the boys from the dwarf having the run of the ship again after abandoning everyone who had escaped. If that had happened then really the only unanswered questions are why is Rimmer a hologram again and what really happened to Kochanski?

I find it difficult to be disappointed in Series VIII and its finale. Instead I look back with disappointment that IX never came to be (in the traditional sense). It's a damn shame, I feel like Series XI could have been great.

FeeBee likes this.
  18. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I always found the Grim Reaper to be totally out of place for Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf, up until that point, was actually rather plausible science fiction with a comedic twist. No aliens, every thing is man-made no matter how deranged and odd, and there's no ghosts or paranormal nonsense.

I understand Death might be a figment of Rimmer's stressed out imagination but he shouldn't be a physical presence.

Also it was just an unsatisfying, frustrating ending to an unsatisfying, frustrating series.

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I like to pretend that Death is actually Inquisitor. I know he was meant to be erases from history because of some time paradox but maybe the time paradox reset itself and he still exists and stays away from Lister and went for Rimmer because A. He is a different Rimmer and B. Lister and Kryten are not around. Or maybe he has finished judging people is his own dimension and has come to this one to judge people.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  20. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I like this. A 'rebooted' Inquisitor may have chosen a mythical guise in which to hunt his quarry. Although I can't imagine the Inquisitor being so easily overcome.