Who played left-back for Man United in the 1968 Eu

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by karnie, Nov 1, 2011.

1. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Hey all, this is actually a Red Dwarf question... =)

I came across the deleted scene from the episode Stasis Leak mentioning the 1968 European Cup Final, and who played Left Back. According to Holly in the scene, it was Shay Brennan, then corrected himself by saying Tony Dunn. According to the notes on another Red Dwarf site for the scripts of that scene, however, he was right the first time, which got me researching the info.

Now, according to wikipedia, it was, in fact, Tony Dunn. I don’t necessarily trust Wikipedia, so can anyone link me another source verifying one way or another? I’m having an odd amount of difficulty verifying this one tidbit of information. Thanks!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

After a bit of Googling I found this article. Though I suppose you could argue that the article only states that he was a left back, not that he necessarily played left back in the final.

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Yeah, I've found several sites that claim both of them played left back at certain times, but nowhere other than Wiki have I been able to verify during the 1968 finals. And I really hate trusting wiki on this.

4. 57194q

57194q Guest

is there a pub quiz champion in the house?

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Shay Brennan started at Right-Back for United in that cup final and Tony Dunne started at Left-Back. So they both played in the same match. Players generally interchange playing positions at times.

EDIT: Coincidentally an unused substitute in that game was a young lad called Jimmy Rimmer ;-)