Who wants Bill Bailey for Red Dwarf 10

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Now it seems that Norman Lovett is out of the picture after what he's said, I think Bill Bailey would make an excellent Holly for RD10. What does everyone else think?

RAGE

2. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Already suggested this.

Obviously, I approve.

3. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

it'd be interesting, but i think his humour style is a bit too different to Red Dwarf. He also sounds more smug and snide when getting big laughs, while Norman had the sarcastic side done a lot better.

But I dont want Red Dwarf to become a show with big name guest stars every episode,stealing the show. That'd ruin it.

4. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

I do like bill bailey
    but no

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

That would be genius, though I think it would be a bit disrespectful to Norms Holly.

6. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

pff Normans been so disrespectful to his fellow cast mates and the writers, just because he wanted far too much money. He can smeg off.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never understood the appear of Bill Bailey. I've seen him as a panellist on various comedy quiz shows and he's never yet made me laugh.

Bill Bailey as Holly would probably be the worst piece of casting in Red Dwarf history.

8. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Now Casting Bill Bailey as a new holly would be interesting indeed, he has done a few cameo rolls in a few progams (i think hustle was one) but also on panel shows and I think he is hilarious, I'm not sure he would get the part but none the less he gets my vote :-D

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

What about the casting of... well anybody from the US attempt?

I agree though that Bill Bailey just doesn't seem to fit the bill as well as some others might.

10. bobbysmoother

bobbysmoother Skutter

Nice idea but maybe too similar to Norm? Also I don't think you want big name starts really (I was thinking about Jack Dee but same problem!).

What about Hattie?

Otherwise someone quite different like... I dunno... Tom Baker?! Or someone like that but less obvious...

11. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

How about Carmen Argenziano Of Stargate fame? Granted he has an American accent but nothing wrong with that, it was never said everyone on Red Dwarf had to be British.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0034492/

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Pun of the day.

13. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

NO to this idea, dont like Bailey and his hair hehe its Norm all the way for me.

14. holsy1982

holsy1982 Third Technician

don't think we need a holly to be honest. If we do, what about the chap who holly plays chess with. That'd be fun.
    As for bill bailey he'd have been good as the owner of the sci fi shop in BTE but guess it's a bit late for that

15. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Obviously Norman's Holly is as good as it gets. But Bill Bailey as a slightly mad, easily distracted, energetic hippy Holly could be an interesting new direction. He could just respond in a surreal way to things other people say. Plus, Bill's good at talking about science stuff in a funny way. If only for one episode, I'd like to see it!

16. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

Don't forget the slight evil streak :P

I say Bill Bailey or Hattie

17. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Yep! He can be a mischievous bugger. I think he could add a spark to the show.

18. MacabreMagpie

I was talking about the character. My point was that it would be disrespectful to the character of Holly (which was good) to recast him with a comedian who would no likely give a different type of performance just because Norm threw a wobbler.

19. MacabreMagpie

This is such a strange suggestion. I've seen all the SG-1s and he's never once struck me as a potential Holly!

20. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

Bill Bailey made a career out of low comedy -- out of exaggeration. Acting as people never would. High comedy is about observations: capturing the way that people behave and STILL being funny. If you don't have the talent to observe, you react with wide eyed horror ad infinitum in Black Books. Being real and funny is much harder, and much funnier.
    Bring back Norman Lovett. Who cares what he said? If Naylor's offended (he'd only be offended by a tantrum if he's a tantrum-type himself) he should put the show first. Establishing a character is one of the hardest things to do in a sitcom -- establishing a good character is a rare achievement. Why start all over again with no guarantee of success? Lovett is established.