Who wants Bill Bailey for Red Dwarf 10

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

Personally, I love the idea! He's known for playing incompetent characters (because of his skill), and Holly is a bit like that. The only thing is, I think he is a bit too "un-boring" if you know what I mean. I just cant picture him not being active, instead of "showing-no-emotion".
    The April Fool scene on Lister would have a bit "not really him".

Norman Lovett: :-(
    Dougal: :-) (not really how Holly is meant to be.)

Just my opinion.

*DISCLAIMER*
    That comment is nothing to do with the actor himself, just the kind of character that Holly is would really match him very much. It's probably nothing, but I thought I should mention it.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

True, the part would have to be written differently for him. But if a computer can change it's head, it can probably download a different personality. Besides, since series 3 Holly has had to compete with Kryten, and failed. More personality, particularly if he and Kryten disliked each other for some reason, would be the only way to go for Holly's future in the series.

3. TheChronicler

TheChronicler Skutter

He would be brilliant, there is quiet a few comedic actors that should appear.

Bill Bailey would play a brilliant Holly 2.0
    Dylan Moran would be another great comedic actor that would make a good cameo.

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

That's a good call. If Holly and Kryten had an argument and then didn't like each other for the rest of the series quite a few funny things could happen from that.

Holly - There's a stasis leak on floor 249
    Kryten - I'll go and check it out.
    Holly - Unfortunately it has caused all the lifts to malfunction
    Kryten - I'll use the stairs.

Kryten arrives at floor 249

Holly - Did I say 249? I meant floor 3
    Kryten - hmhsmswx grrrr

You could have an epsiode called Kryten-v-Holly. (or whatever)

RAGE

5. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Well, I know nobody likes Norman anymore because he dared to say something negative about RD. Fair enough his reaction may have been OTT but it does appear that his character is being whitewashed out of RD history. The current revival appears to be all about the 4 guys. To be honest once Kryten turned up the character of Holly got marginalized.
    Maybe its not needed anymore? But if they decide to do more RD set on the ship then, if they can’t patch things up with Norman, Hattie is really the only choice. Getting some big name comedy actor to play the part wouldn’t work for me at all.

6. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Um.. Hattie Hayridge.

7. sarahsmeg

sarahsmeg Skutter

This Tread seems a bit silly in my opinion, So what somepeople don't like Norman any more that hasn't stopped him from doing holly before and whats wrong with hattie?

I really do not understand why supposed fans feel the need to recast the show so that there favorite comics can be in it, besides it is there decision not yours.

Red Dwarf will never be Star Trek or Star Wars and I personally don't think it would be as enjoyable with a compleatly different cast, I remeber my feeling of dread the first time I watch back to reality and I thought for a second they were going to recast the show.

It's Wrong I tell you.

Newvertheless if we're thoughing names out there lets cast Eddie Izzard as an Unfunny comic.

8. kalloused

kalloused Skutter

No. Introducing New people ruins good things. Thats why Kochanski made RD blow so bad, as did rezing the crew.
    It's either Norman or Hatie or none at all.
    RD needs to go back to the way it was before Kochanski

9. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

either have norman or hattie as holly otherwise forget it, no big deal. Come to think of it, one of my best series is 6 and there was no holly in that, didn't even notice. However it would be prity interesting to see Bailey as a holly.

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I'd love to see Norman as Holly again, as he was the reason that I really got into Red Dwarf (and probably the reason why I disliked series 3 at the time, because he wasn't there). But if he doesn't come back I think Holly should be a part of RD. Bill Bailey sounds like a great idea, but that all could be completely different when he's seen on the screen.

RAGE

11. Pearce

Pearce Skutter

Ohhhh dear, I really hope they don't go for anyone new, it'll spoil the atmosphere with holly being there (if you all get what I'm trying to say :lol: )
    I'd say try and get Lovett back because he was just the best, the sarcastic one who got on the crew's nerves, or get Hattie I really liked her playing holly too, if they brought holly back and something had happened and for like an episode or two gave holly the IQ of 6 again, I think that could be quite funny :-)
    Hattie would be good for that, I don't know why but I always say her version just a tiny bit duller that Lovett's :L

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Like flooded circuits due to Lister leaving the bath running?

13. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

no.

i had hoped this thread had died. if there was a way to un-bump a thread, i'd have done it.

why?

let me start off by saying, i don't know who bill bailey is. but even if he's the funniest guy i've never seen, why have him play Holly?

We have 2 actors that loved the role. Poor Norman thrashed out like an angry child unsure if he was gonna be fed. When he gave an ultimatum of, "give me my food now, or I'll go elsewhere", his mother said, "sorry norm, it isn't ready yet. And when it is, I'm not sure there will be enough for you." So he freaked out. Started calling her names. Said he'd write books about how evil she was. He decided he was done with her. And conversely, she was done with him. A mother's hand can heal, however. She can reach out to him and offer him a nice warm hot meal again. And if she approaches the situation with grace, their relationship could heal. On the other hand, if they wish to continue the "kanly"(using the ancient tongue) between them, it is sad but not uncommon. My grandpa and uncle for example haven't talked for a dozen years or so. Makes me wish one of them would be the bigger person and heal that rift.

And if that wound is fatal, then there is Hattie! She seems like such a positive, upbeat person. Grateful to be given the opportunity to star in the greatest television show ever made. Sad to be let go. But never angry. She had grace. She had tact. She defined the character as much as Norman. So we already have two actors who can play the role and play it well. There's no need to complicate things by having a third person play Holly. Can you imagine it from Norman or Hattie's viewpoint?

My guess:
    Norman: "They got someone else to play Holly! They didn't even ask me those Smeggers!"
    Hattie: "It's sad you know? To be let go initially was sad. But not get the role back when it became available? I just don't understand."

14. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I wouldnt want Bill Bailey as Holly. If they have Holly, itd have to be Hattie for me. I really like Hattie, I like her Holly and I wouldnt want anyone else playing the part any more than Id want someone different playing any of the other characters. As much as I like Bill Bailey, I dont want him in Red Dwarf. And I cant see any reason why theyd use anyone else for Holly other than Hattie anyway.

15. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Totally agree with you there NJ

16. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

NONONO! It wouldn't be right!
    Bring Hattie back, she's brilliant.

17. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

One word only "HATTIE"

18. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George W Bush?

Hattie or Norman only.

19. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

I'd prefer Hattie over Norman. If neither of them can do it though, I think the character should be permanently retired. They already did it once as Kryten explained everything and had the techie jokes, so why repeat the same mistake. Unless the character gets some good lines and jokes, Holly will be a useless character / or there purely to say "Ooh, have you seen who's in Red Dwarf now?", Series 7 and 8 are a perfect example of the first part. Holly just seemed shoe-horned in those two series. No Holly in BTE, so it should stay that way if Hattie can't come back.

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Not really.