Who wants Bill Bailey for Red Dwarf 10

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

If we don't have Hattie then yes. But there is no point bringing him in for one series, I think we need at least two series to settle him in as part of the crew like with Chloe.

Ian.

2. alishak

alishak Skutter

It'd be interesting... but I'd rather have Hattie back if Norman won't do it.

3. BongMong

BongMong Skutter

If neither of the previous actors want to do it, then I say Burt Kwouk is the ideal choice. Think about it, he would be perfect.

4. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

I think the "helpful" Window paper clip would be a laugh for 1 episode. They could keep trying to disable him and he could keep just popping back up!

As a regular though, how about extra (back in the day) Tony Hawk, could have a slightly different personality to the other 2, put down to the fact he has been booted up since the intallation tests over 3million years ago.

5. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

Here's one from left-field.

William Shatner.

What think y'all?

6. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

Recasting Holly for a third time would elicit what is known as the Ewok/Jarjar Reaction which boils down to "You did it once, Twice is too much"

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Was that the problem people had with Jar-jar? I thought people were just annoyed with him all on his own merit*. Ewoks and Jar-jar are both 'cute' in their own way, but quite different otherwise.

*I actually didn't hate Jar-Jar as many seem to, although he did get a bit annoying after a while. I actually quite liked the Ewoks though, but part of me would like to pop over to the side-verse set on Kasshyyk (that's the Wookie home-world, although it probably wouldn't have been called that back then).

I understand why Lucas took that route as it was supposed to follow the theme that even in the face of Imperial tyranny little guys (in this case literally) banding together can make a difference, which wouldn't have been so effective with the big tough, technologically savvy wookies... but I think it would have worked better in another way what with us being partly invested in a character of that species already. Chewbacca might have been mainly just a supporting role but they could have extended it in the last film. Besides, in the EU it's been stated that wookies were used as slave labour by the Empire. From an actual story point of view the liberation of Endor/kasshyyk being the liberation of slaves could be a more interesting effective story than a bunch of teddy bears appearing out of nowhere to help win the day.

8. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

And Nobody minded the Ewoks Because they had a purpose and have a back story, But JarJar is there to be funny and something for the kids but comes off as annoying. Plus His voice was annoying

9. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I'd say get Norman back, but he's made aload of stupid comments in the past - maybe they can work something out, but I can't help think maybe the crew would resent him which would cause tension on set.

I'd have Hattie make a brief return - then maybe upgrade....
    I had the following actors in mind;
    - Bill Bailey, I actually did think about, but he's almost like a cliche being put in this role, too obvious.
    - How about Keith Allen? He could play a slightly aggressive Holly with a slightly higher IQ.
    - I also thought of Bob Mortimerperhaps, he would probably play a similar Holly to Norman Lovett (http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00545/71/13/545563117_m.jpg)
    - I also think Jane leeves or Megan Mullally would do fine in the role.

I do think we should have a Holly! Unless of course the crew get seperated from the Red dwarf again. But even then Holly can make a cameo. Holly's such a great peripheral character to have.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think that would be worse than not having her at all. And I dislike the word 'upgrade' there, but to be fair, maybe you didn't mean it in a derogatory sense.

If she doesn't want to come back, then fair enough, we could have another actor stand in or go down the no Holly route. (Or he/she would be in the background working the computer systems but without a personality presence so to speak.)

If Hattie is willing then Hattie should remain in the role.

11. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Its Hattie or no one for me. I know Ive said that already a page or two back, but I feel so strongly about it that I had to say it again.

12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm quite open to the idea of a new Holly. Now would be the perfect time to bring in a personality that conflicts with Kryten for comedic value.

13. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

well basically I'd love norman to return, but i can't see that happening due to bitterness.
    hattie would be my number one choice for return;
    But i guess the question is = if she didnt want to return to the role full time, would you be happy for her to make a brief cameo as Holl, then be replaced by another actor/actress?

I've said this on another thread, but i think Collin Mochrie would be great as Holly.
    Plus, I really would like the Holy character to return in general.

14. dgckiwi17

dgckiwi17 Skutter

Bill Bailey would be quite good.

Pete09 - "Bill Bailey made a career out of low humour" ????? Wow....never seen him live have you ?

But I don't know if he'd be right for the job. Milton Jones maybe ? Or maybe even Michael McIntyre as a Holly on happy pills ? Rik Mayall as Holly "Flasheart" could be a blast but would probably try and steal the show.

:lol:

15. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

It's got to be Hattie....or nobody.

16. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

Hang on. You may have something there. I'm picturing it. Could work, could work.

17. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I'd rather have Isy Suttie...