Who would you cast in a (good) USA version?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CharlieTeague, Jul 21, 2012.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Most of you on the forums are likely to be aware of the existence of the pilot episode for an american remake of Red Dwarf, starring Craig Bierko as Lister, Chris Chris Eigeman as Rimmer, Hinton Battle as Cat, Jane Leeves as Holly and, both surprisingly and not at the same, Robert Llewellyn as Kryten.

I think that what went wrong with the pilot was that they really didn't know if they wanted to stay close and true to the original or make it their own, so they kind of did both and neither. It was basically a botched and cheesey version of The End, with all the great UK references taken out and replaced with horrible US references. The acting and writing was incredibly cheesey and I thought that each character had been mis-cast.

In my vision of an ideal USA version, the cannon is completely re-thought out to become more fast-paced and appealing to an American audience, with much of premise of the show adapted to be more modernised. The slate is wiped completely clean and the show is completely redefined. This way the show could not be measured as inferior or superior to the original show as they would both be totally different.

As for casting, it should be less focused around looks and more around talent, ugly or at least TV ugly characters would help the idea of the characters being misfits and unsuccessful or unpopular.

This is my imagined USA version cast, bare in mind that I had a lot of trouble thinking of actors and most of these choices are likely to be disagreeable:

Will Wheaton as Lister, while as a younger actor he was one of the most annoying and bland Star Trek characters (Wesley Crusher), today him as himself can have a very layed back and carefree persona, which would be ideal for Lister.

David Krumholtz as Rimmer, now I'm quite the fan of David Krumoltz, especially his earlier work in the first two Santa Clause movies. He is great at playing quirky and bossy characters, making him in my mind a perfect choice for Rimmer.

Marlon Wayans as Cat, while I haven't seen much of the Wayans brothers I always laugh at his charged and cheesey performance in Scary
    Movie and Little Man, he is more than capable of being loud, obnoxious and self centered making him perfect as Cat.

David Schwimmer as Kryten, I really wasn't sure about who to cast as Kryten so I thought I would look for an actor who is great at playing quirky characters, and so I found one.

Robin Curtis as female Holly, yes I know it's another person from Star Trek but bare with me. As Saavik she was great at being bland yet rounded at the same time, this would mean that to start off with she would be just a computer with a face that talks, slowley becoming more deranged and silly.

Rich Fulcher as Male Holly, if you have seen his performance as Bob Fossil on The Mighty Boosh then you know his persona, as Holly he would be less senile and more insane, because of this he would add a very fresh element to the character and it would be an interesting interpretation of Holly. I also think that because of his craziness it would make more sense for Holly to start off a female and then metamorphose into Rich Fulcher.

What do you guys think of my choices? Who would you choose?

2. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Interesting choices RedLemon. Id cast the following:

LISTER: Jeremy Sisto
    RIMMER: Matthew McConnaughey
    KRYTEN:Raphael Sbarge
    CAT:Giancarlo Esposito
    HOLLY: Alan Tudyk

3. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

As an American my answer is, no one!
    America does not do British comedy well!
    I can not think of one show that is good as the British orginal that I have seen.

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I don't think I know enough about actors to fully comment on this. I would say that I was perfectly happy with Craig Bierko as Lister. Although he probably didn't fit the role as we know it on a physical level, he had a sort of charming innocence that made up for that. I don't think Lister needs to be anything other than undisciplined but likeable to work as a character. I was also happy with Jane Leeves' Holly. I saw some clips of Terry Farrell as a female Cat, and I thought that worked terrifically well. Obviously, Robert Llewellyn is perfectly cast as Kryten.

The only real failing with the American pilot I thought was that Chris Eigeman's Rimmer didn't seem physically equivalent to Bierko's Lister in a way that made his petty-minded competitiveness convincing. Perhaps it's because I knew the characters from the British version, and maybe the dynamic would have developed differently in the American version. But the show rests on the tension between Lister and Rimmer, and it won't work if you just keep thinking, "Why does't Lister just floor the smegger?"

5. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Ooooh ok

Eddie murthy as the cat
    Ben stiller as rimmer
    Owen Wilson as lister
    Arnold schwarzenegger as kryten
    Famke janssen as kochanski

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The only American actor I ever saw as being able to play Lister is John Belushi.

7. Pecospete666

Animal House Belushi?

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, a number of people have suggested that a John Belushi type would have been ideal as the American Dave Lister. Danny John-Jules does so in the Dwarfing USA documentary, and Craig Bierko, who actually played the American Lister, said the same.

9. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Rimmer: Chris Barrie
    Lister: Craig Charles
    Cat: Danny John-Jules
    Kryten: Robert Llewellyn

Just get the director to sort out the cross-atlantic stuff.

After all, two of our main cast play it as North Americans.

What's wrong with having a North American Red Dwarf with two non-North American characters amongst the players?

10. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

If Bob Marley was still alive, I would had liked to watch him play as lister lol

11. CharlieTeague

I would have chosen John Belushi but I deliberately chose actors that are young enough and still alive.

12. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Slightly off topic but when the situation with the movie became a case of recast or forget it, I remember thinking that Ben Chaplin would have made a good Rimmer (fairly similar to the character he played in Game On). With someone like Ewan McGregor as Lister maybe.

Obviously I completely understand why Doug didn`t decide to go down that route but it would have been interesting at the very least.

13. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Will Wheaton? Eaw! yuck! I liked him as Wesley though but now I find him repugnant.
    As I said before I like the cast of The Big Bang Theory. I feel they're just perfect for a USA Dwarf version.
    If not give a new cast of people a chance, with guidance of course from the right directors.

14. CharlieTeague

Yeah, on second thought Bierko was fine as Lister he just wasn't given good material, Bobbyllew would also be fine however I want to think of american actors good enough to replace them but I just don't have sufficient knowledge of celebrities to decide who.

15. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I prefer the American version of The Office to the British. However, there is ZERO reason to make a different version for the US. We enjoy Red Dwarf as is. Please...please...don't spoil a good thing.

I can say "we" on this one. I have shared the show with many people. They have all enjoyed the experience.

Sounds like the current cast should plan on continuing on well into typical retirement age. Triple digits even.... ;-)

16. Pecospete666

You can blame Hollywood! There is not an original thought left there! Remakes after remakes, it's cheap to do remakes or copy other shows. On the other hand PBS does buy a lot of British TV programs. They probably saved RD because it was a huge hit in the US the first and second series an BBC extended the series beyond series 3. The problem now is the government has cut way back on PBS funding and donations are way down. So the money has to come from some where else. A Chinese version! they have all the money now! New thread who would you cast in a Chinese version of RD?

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol ummm no! :P

18. Pecospete666

Here are my selections for the Chinese RED DWARF. ???
    Hóng ?ix?ng

D?n ní·yu?hàn·zh? ?r s?

??·??·??? ???·???
    Kè léi gé·chá'?rs?

???·???
    Lu?bótè·lú ?i lín

???·??
    Kè l?s?·bal?

any guesses who they are?

The Chinese letters came out as ? sorry to all the Chinese!

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hmmm YES! YES!!! andddd YES!!!
    you sir win the thread :P

20. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

And the Koch Brothers and other corporate underwriters of modern PBS are about as likely to fund a Red Dwarf movie as the Cat is to wear flannel.