Whoever said models were better than cgi....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Is a fool and proven wrong after the first five mins!!

2. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

:roll:
    Wrong.
    Both are equally important.

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Anything is brilliant or crap depending on how well you do it. models at their best can be great. but these weren't. doesn't mean fans were wrong to want them, bad cgi would be just as awful although it is so affordable now it probably would have been a better option. i bet model work is a bit of a lost art now sadly.

4. Urgamanix

Urgamanix Third Technician

It's easy to say one is better than the other, but its all about context. Some people still love the old 70s-80s stop motion in movies because there's something about it that just keeps your eyes glued to the screen.

The models do a very good job - yes they aren't 100% lifelike but they are close enough. What's important here is the nostalgia factor, which is always a valid reason to do something in a particular way.

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Didn't they have to go and do a massive re-shoot of all the model shots in an extremely short amount of time, or something like that? I think Red Dwarf looks great but it might explain why the other shots don't, from what we've seen.

6. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

??? I thought the ships actually looked great. I liked the design of the S.S. Trojan too.

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

The majority have said the models look great, and they did.

Everyone complained about the CGI ship and said it was terrible, and now a handful of people are complaining about the models. They looked fantastic and it was for nostalgia's sake. Plus, they haven't done it in 15 years. Give it time.

8. a1ph4riu5

a1ph4riu5 Third Technician

I thought the models looked great too :-) You get a sense of weight to the physical props, that they can't achieve with their CG budget. Nothing wrong with CG, but you get what you pay for, like all things.

Somebody said something before about the stars moving wrong. But for space scenes, the theoretical camera in space can do whatever it wants. If it's stationary, Red Dwarf moves, and the stars don't. If the camera is keeping pace with Red Dwarf, the stars move and Red Dwarf stays still. So it really doesn't matter, either way.

9. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

yeah in my opinion the models and the filming of them looked great - the blue midget from the title sequence (and will feature in an episode from series X of course) does not look good though....maybe someone can tell me the difference between that shot and why it looks crap compared to the rest of the excellent Red Dwarf X model shots I've seen so far?

However - if they were ever to do a movie - I would like CGI shots ala Battlestar Gallactica. Plus - if there's a dog fight between spaceships in this series - I fear for how the model shots will cope under scrutiny.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think it's the model itself so much as the way it's animated. It has a slightly unrealistic zippy thing going on.

Personally I thought the models in this first episode looked good. Red Dwarf looks fantastic, and the design of the other ship was great. Starbug wasn't bad either.

11. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

They looked great, especially the small rouge one.

12. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Yep, loved the models in RDX, especially Red Dwarf, I actually double-taked when I saw it's detail. Amazing!

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The only thing I noticed as being "off" was the rather clean look of the asteroid.

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Actually I would say this is the best Red Dwarf has ever looked, while some shots kinda seemed like there was maybe too many stars I thing the models themselves looked fantastic. Actually seeing the model of the Red Dwarf itself in action really gave me an appreciation for some of the details that the remastered model had which weren't done any justice in CGI. The almost salt shaker looking thrusters in particular which was my main worry when I heard the new one was just a cut down version but seeing the real thing made all the difference in the world.

I thing we all hated looking at the backside in the Remastered episode and series VIII
    [​IMG]

I actually love how it looks here now in all it's glory in series X
    [​IMG]

I really don't understand why you are moaning about it.

15. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I liked the models - especially the very first shot after the credits, with the huge scoop lurching towards the camera.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I've seen people say (don't ask me where because I didn't book mark it) that it was the best CGI they had ever seen, not this made me smug because not keeping up with the series' production and making the blind assumption that it's CGI people are noting the superiority thus validating how are infact better.

17. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

It's just my opinion, but I think what may be bothering everybody about the opening credits is NOT the models, but they WAY they are composited together... and in especially, Blue Midget's case, how the model image has been manipulated to show movement. It looks like one image zoomed out to represent movement~ kind of badly. But, jeez, it's a comedy show with what I guess is a limited budget!

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

in the 90s the models were done on wires, but i'm guessing its all done models on green screen now thats probably the difference

but then again some of series 6 did the same thing

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

wrong

20. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

i actually liked the cgi shots better but i also like the models...personally i'm happy with either but if i had to choose i would choose the cgi. The ship just looked bigger and more realistic and visually pleasing to the eye. But again, i enjoy the nostalgia factor the models have.
    -my 2 cents