Why are they 3 million years into deep space?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rich_S, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Skutter

I'm sure there's a very simple explanation for this, but why is Red Dwarf (the ship) "3 million years into deep space?" I know obviously Lister had to remain in stasis for 3 million years, but why did the ship travel off into deep space all that time he was in suspended animation? Why didn't Holly send the ship back to Earth straight after the accident rather than let it drift off all that time and maroon him?

I've been watching RD since the beginning in the 1980's and this has only just occurred to me . Is there a reason I've missed or is this just something we ignore?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I've asked the same thing myself, but we tend to forgive because one of those "it gets the story started" things!

That said, there is a basic logic there...

The radiation half-life is three million years. It's not safe to enter the ship until then. So taking the ship back to Earth would only have left the JMC with a huge, irradiated vessel orbiting a populated planet, getting in the way and completely useless. They can't board it, can't salvage it for parts.

Meanwhile, one assumes, the radiation is leaking out of the ship. So taking it into populated space lanes would be like towing a leaking nuclear reactor next to the M25.

So while there's certainly an argument that Holly - who had yet to go senile - should have taken the ship to the edge of populated space and then parked, that he got that far (erm, however far that is when mankind have clearly travelled far enough to need stasis booths) and kept going is probably forgivable enough. At least in terms of getting the show rolling.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Skutter

Thanks, that's good enough for me :-)

4. poutashi

poutashi Skutter

Hi,
    Sort of related to this question is Kryten's time period. By this I mean Kryten was created in the 24th century, a few centuries after the radiation leak(according to the books), therefore, how is he still operating after just under 3 million years of existing? In addition on Holoship and the Last Day, we are told Kryten is about 5,000 years old and his replacement has been tracking him for a similar period, wouldn't that mean Kryten was built in the year 2,995,000ish? I don't understand.

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They built 'em to last...? Or maybe he's like the Ship of Theseus, just kept replacing bits of himself from available spares...

Or: plot conceit.

Dunno where you're getting the 5,000 number from...

6. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

Maybe the JMC just wants to claim on the insurance...

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I figured that Kryten probably wasn't online for all that time. I.e. he could have spent centuries off-line. On the other hand he had a pretty advanced self-repair system with all those nanobots! I have my doubts that they could originally change space ships into asteroids and back (I think that's essentially an example of mechanical evolution* over the 3 million years period) but I'm sure they were good enough to fix him up.

*It's my theory that while the nanobots could repair Kryten they could also repair and possibly even augment each other. Over the massive time period they became much more advanced and also becoming self-aware in the process. They remained faithful for much of that time but maybe life with the dwarfers was just that little too much for them... ;-)

8. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

Red Dwarf USA's Kryten took 3 million years in his stride with a little reading material.

9. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Simple! He is essentially an ideal maid/service robot correct. You know the saying, "Cleanliness is close to Godliness."

See what I did there???....wondering if anybody else had nearly the painful and audible groan that I did while typing that. :eek:ops: So corny!

10. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i like how they dealt the finding of kryten with that in the first book. the nova 5 was setting off novas to spell out a comercial in the sky, just classic

11. poutashi

poutashi Skutter

Hi everyone,

Sorry about this, 5,000 years is how long Hudezen 10 was tracking Kryten. I meant 30,000 years ol, as said by spare head 3 in D.N.A.:"I may be 30,000 years old and me circuits may've gone bandy...'

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't think there's any mention of 5,000 years in The Last Day. 'Thousands' is mentioned, for how long Hudzen has been travelling, but that's just a generalisation.

Spare Head Three has a personality of his own. He may not have been Kryten's head from the beginning, but picked up later on; his age different from Kryten's. But also: he's senile. You can't trust what he says.

Seriously, though, if you're looking for continuity fixes in Red Dwarf, you're pretty much wasting your time. Anything that doesn't add up generally doesn't add up because it's a fictional show and the writers either deliberately ignored something or forgot about it.

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

You can't listen to spare-head 3. He's got droid-rot! He meant 3,000,000 years, but two zeros had rotted from his memory.

14. mrpezzer

mrpezzer Third Technician

I always thought it was joke that was never used but should have been... Holly just didn't think to turn the ship around and just left if floating deeper and deeper into space. Seeming how Holly was mean't to be slightly stupid anyway it makes it funny and would have annoyed Lister.

Kryten on the other hand I assumed just kept himself busy for however long he was there for (less than 3 million years as he was produced after the crew died) and the time had sent him slightly crazy. Then is S3 it explains at the start how Lister rebuilds him so why he looks different as is even more crazy... and gets worse over time.

15. Paul Taylor

Perhaps there is a future plotline in this; could the whole mission have been a fake, and the JMC could have caused the deaths of the ships crew (remember, Rimmer's memory of it and the video of Rimmer's death, as well as Holly's memory are all digital and can be altered) and Dave's incarceration in stasis could have been an unforeseen event. Perhaps Holly was programmed to take the ship out into deep space forever, perhaps to get rid of something hidden on the ship, something so terrible that humanity could not bare to suffer its presence, and civilisation would fall to its influence. Something like all existing copies of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

16. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

:lol:

Heehee...to add on to my giggly-ness (positive that isn't really a word), my husband is sitting next to me reading the screen. He looks at your name and photo and asks, "Who is Peter Borough?" Clearly Mr. Yeckel hasn't had enough coffee today. ;-)

17. Paul Taylor

No, I'm sure it should be "gigglicity."

You know, all us citizens of the Borough of St Peter don't have to go through all that troublesome "judgement of our souls" business. Pete just gives us a wink, we walk to the front of the line, he quickly checks we're not wearing trainers (sneakers) and he lets us right in. It pays to know the right people!

18. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Justice zone meets monopoly get out of jail free card? :-)

19. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Evidence suggests that Holly was beaming out a distress call from Red Dwarf, and merely let the ship drift off course and out into deep space because he assumed the Space Corps would send a rescue party. By the time it came to revive Lister, he probably realised there was a small chance that they weren't coming.

Kryten as we've seen is a dab hand at technical maintenance, and so was able to keep himself in mint condition for the three million odd years he was marooned on the Nova 5. Plus, he probably had his spare parts with him as well as his nanobots.

One question I've recently started to think about is how Red Dwarf, a ship with a crew of just over one thousand, had enough food supplies to keep the Cat People well fed for over three millenia? Unless they quickly discovered the art of agriculture (i.e. using equipment salvaged from Red Dwarf to build hydroponic gardens) their food supply should have run out within a few years.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think it took them a really long time to work out the connection between the strange V shaped tool with the twisty thing on top and those huge mountains of strangely shaped stones...