Why are they 3 million years into deep space?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rich_S, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Exactly! In fact, I think that's how it's described in our contract with St Pete. We got it for building him this:

[​IMG]

Personally, I think he got a good deal!

2. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

But, what were they eating until then?

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

All the perishables. Then their toe nail clippings...

(I know my explanation doesn't hold up for the entire period, I'm posting in jest... and my earlier comment about the mountains was borrowed from the first RD book.)

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I would say so, that is a very beautiful building! My oldest has been learning about cathedrals in history this last week (along with Queen Eleanor). It amazes me just how much history is packed into that island.

3 million years into deep space, perhaps they found a way to turn the components of a Twinkie into all of those other foods. It is frightening how long those things can last.

5. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

They could very well have been eating each other for a time.

6. Paul Taylor

I never really have figured out what a twinkie is. We don't have them over here (as far as I know) but their frequent mention in US movies and tv series suggests they're an important aspect of Americana.

It's hard to imagine felis sapiens getting a foothold without the capacity to learn agriculture, which would be impossible I would think in the bowels of Red Dwarf.

7. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I've never understood the fascination with twinkies personally. And I'm usually a fan of cake type things. I had some that were months out of date and they tasted exactly the same as normal ones.

8. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Nicky is right. Paul is not missing a great deal. A twinkie is a chemically created cake product filled with an imitation cream filling. Twinkies are not so popular in that they are extremely tasty, but there is all kinds of lore around how long a twinkie can last. The official statement is 25 days out of the packaging, which is still pretty long. However, if you start googling twinkies you will find all kinds of crazy experiments done that show just how long the things can last. One professor tacked one to his wall and years later the outer area is just crusty but otherwise unchanged. Another set of experiments left them open and outside or in other situations in which your food would normally not survive, however the cream filling remained unchanged. Bored friends of mine have done similar things to kill time (in their younger years). Even so hundreds of millions of them sell each year....where is the ultimate yuck emoticon on this thing?

Paul, I will mail you a box of them if you would like. ;-)

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

[​IMG]

They look nice. Send a box over to me too, would you?

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not much like our chocolate eclairs then!

(It's ages since I've had one of those, but they were something special.)

11. Paul Taylor

It's a kind offer, thankyou, but the comments on here have kind of put me off.:lol: I would never have though it was a cake type of thing. I suppose I imagined it was some kind of chocolate bar or something. Their apparent indifference to the rigors of time is a bit spooky, too.

Whenever I hear about twinkies, I think of Ghostbusters.

Winston:"Tell him about the twinkie."
    Venkman:"What about the twinkie?"

It's nice to have a better idea of the product they were talking about.

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Likewise in that thought process, although I thought it quite simple to work out what one was during that scene. After all, Egon is showing Winston the twinkie when he explains about the size of it (so you can see what it looks like at least for the first idea), and then he just sort of shoves it all in his mouth if memory serves which, to me at least, suggested not a chocolate bar or biscuit or something like that (which would be more difficult to shove in like that).

Maybe I just had one very rare moment of observation that day. Must admit though, learning of the longevity of the twinkie, it's added a new fear to the prospect of the super-size one they were talking about! Thank god we only got a supersized Stay Puft Marshmellow Man instead :-D

13. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

If you are comfortable messaging me an address, I will send you a box. :lol: Anything to share the American experience.

14. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

And they can last for about 17 years...

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Hehe. Thanks for the offer, but I was only being facetious. Maybe if I get a major craving for some Twinkies sometime in the future.

For some reason, I thought they'd be some biscuit-type creations. Sponge objects with a cream filling were about the last thing I expected from something named 'Twinkies'.

16. Paul Taylor

Another thing I had heard of but had no idea what it was. I've just looked it up. It sounds exactly the kind of thing that's out to destroy humanity with obesity. I doubt I'll ever try one, except as a dare.

We're really thoroughly exploring the question in the title of this thread!

17. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

So it's to escape the rather mediocre Twinkie and the atrocity of the Corn Dog?

As an aside, this is why I like the fact some forums allow you to go off a bit tangent like this and not care, whereas some go mental if you even consider branching off from the initial topic. Which when one thing tends to lead into another can become utterly moronic. Those in charge of those sorts of forums also don't tend to like being told that fact in my experience...

18. J_Steeder

J_Steeder Third Technician

I always though that it was like saying we are so far from Earth there is no way possible to get back...but were going to try any way.