WHY critics of RD: BTE are picky hypocrites!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MESPITE, Apr 20, 2009.

1. MESPITE

MESPITE Skutter

Yes I got somewhat annoyed reading the drivel some people on internet forums criticized back to earth for...
    Can someone please explain how the fact that they used CGI sets made any difference to the story??? Why has no one ever criticized Doctor Who when it, and most good sci fi shows does exactly the same?
    My main gripe with ungrateful, so called hard core fans? They ALL claim they have watched Red Dwarf from the beginning – and think that the naff sets and dreadful special effects were true essence to Red Dwarf?!!!! Have you SEEN series 5 – it looks amazing compared to series 1. How does that avoid criticism?
    And of course one of the biggest moans about series 7 was the dubbed laughter track... and now you sit there MOANING that it’s gone????
    Get some perspective people!!!

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

How about you sort your ridiculous user name out before you talk about people who are lacking in perspective?

3. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins

True there are a lot of people complaining about those things and I have no idea why. I didn't like BTE but that wasn't because of the CGI or lack of laughter track. I didn't like it because I didn't think it was funny or very good.
    I do want the audience back but not the laugh track they have in series 7. I want the audience for the cast to play to as I think it improves their performance.
    The CGI was pretty good in BTE. I am fond of the models and think they looked better than the CGI in the remastered but this episode the CGI mostly worked.

4. MESPITE

MESPITE Skutter

How's that? ha ha ha

Touchy touchy

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

When I first saw that username, I thought it was you posting under a pseudonym!;-)

People have a right to their opinions. Being a die hard fan doesn't mean you have to love everything Red Dwarf. It's not a religion like Islam, Christianity, Judaism or Chelsea FC Supportism. The lack of a laughter track did change the experience for me. I thought they needed a quicker, dryer delivery for the gags, more like Futurama perhaps. And CGI backgrounds seem a distraction these days. Your mind knows it's not real, and so it feels less real. Plus, the performance of the actors is never as good. I enjoyed Back to Earth all the same. But I can see the point people make.

6. no_name

no_name Third Technician

Now sirs we need clear heads and equinimity. Naturally it's extremely disturbing to watch Red Dwarf without a laughter track and naturally there's going to be a period of climatisation, but it's essential we keep all this in perspective... THERE'S NO LAUGHTER TRACK, WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!? There I think that's pretty much put it in perspective, don't you sirs?

But seriously, whilst episode one occasionally felt awkward at points due to the absence of a laughter track, I didn't miss it at all in episodes 2 and 3. I believe Red Dwarf can work without one. I also don't understand some gripes people had with it as a lot of the humour felt very I to VI and had me laughing a great deal. I know the look of the show and the direction it went is more controversial but I felt the humour was there and it was a truly great episode of Dwarf.

7. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

There was me thinking you'd be flattered :-D

But seriously, it's good of you to be reasonable in these debates, as someone who was involved in the production, dealing with a minority .MINORITY. of fairly harsh comments about the show would be difficult (well for me it would anyway)

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think the show was a success, and Andrew and everyone else involved should be proud. Criticisms are just that, and can come from those who enjoyed it as well as those who didn't. I'm not one to worship everything I like, or hate everything I don't like, so I find absolute opinions a bit disingenuous.

9. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

i loved back to earth i REALLY LIKED that it did not have a laughter track . as things have to evolve and moove in a new direction.

after watching back to earth several times i still really like it .. cant wait for the dvd and do not really have anything negative to say about it at all....do not understand all the comotion about there being no laughter track ... so what

10. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

There is a point to be made though here. Red Dwarf has moved on, just like Doctor Who and other programmes. But what I really find funny is when people complain about the bladerunner stuff. Red Dwarf has taken bits from Casablanca, Die Hard and so many other movies in the past, so why complain about one more!!!

11. arblock

arblock Skutter

"Yes I got somewhat annoyed reading the drivel some people on internet forums criticized back to earth for..."
    Don't read other peoples opinions if they bother you.

"Can someone please explain how the fact that they used CGI sets made any difference to the story??? Why has no one ever criticized Doctor Who when it, and most good sci fi shows does exactly the same?"
    What has Doctor Who got to do with Red Dwarf critics?

"My main gripe with ungrateful, so called hard core fans?"
    That's not a question.

"They ALL claim they have watched Red Dwarf from the beginning – and think that the naff sets and dreadful special effects were true essence to Red Dwarf?!!!!"
    "Claim"? So you think they're lying?

"Have you SEEN series 5 – it looks amazing compared to series 1. How does that avoid criticism?
    And of course one of the biggest moans about series 7 was the dubbed laughter track... and now you sit there MOANING that it’s gone????"
    Massive generalization...

"Get some perspective people!!!"
    So WHY ARE crtitics of RD:BTE "picky hypocrites" exactly? Where is the hypocrisy?

Personally, I didn't enjoy BTE as much as I thought I would, it just wasn't as funny as the old Red Dwarf, and that's hardly suprising after ten years. It really didn't help with the constant ad-breaks breaking the flow every five minutes either. I expect watching it on DVD all in one go will be a much more pleasent experience. It seems you expect RD fans to praise BTE without question.

12. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    My complaint with that is that before it has been 'bits' not huge damn chunks. Given most of it seemed to be 'Back to Reality' meets coronation street meets Bladerunner only without any of the laughs from BTR or the decent plot and script of Bladerunner.

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

His original user name, when he posted, was 'IdontlikeANDREWELLARD'.

Though he's also posting under several other IDs.

14. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Thanks for that, i posted when he changed his username, i wondered why your reply seemed harsh. Now i know.

15. Murray

Murray Second Technician

1. Doctor Who is a sci-fi drama, where flashy special effects are appropriate for immersion and "wow-factor". In that context, it contributes to the story. Red Dwarf is a sci-fi comedy. SFX and CGI can be nice, but Doug Naylor has taken it too far with the inclusion of SFX at the cost of comedic opportunity. Quite simply, the SFX aren't generating any humour. With Doctor Who, you want people saying to each other the next day "wow, did you see that monster/explosion/etc on Doctor Who last night?" With Red Dwarf, you want them to be saying "wow, did you see that joke on Red Dwarf?"

2. The moaning about Series 7 is that there is a dubbed laughter track instead of a live audience for the actors to play off of. The moaning about BTE is that there is no laughter at all for the actors to play off of. There is no inconsistency here.

I hope your perspective has been enlightened.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

This is only true if the comedy of Red Dwarf is based on special effects. Sure, there is humour derived from dodgy looking props like the Holly-hop Drive and the plastic crocodile*. However most of the humour of Dwarf isn't the props or effects at all. It's based on funny stories, interraction, etc. I.e the same thing as other comedy shows, with the added bonus of taking sci-fi ideas and having fun with them.

Sure the new SFX might not generate humour. (Although some of it does. The squid attack scene for example.) But then that's not it's primary role any more than Del-boy's flat or Awrkright's (probably misspelt) shop, or Steptoe's yard. If you didn't find the jokes funny that's fine. But new SFX and humour is not mutually exclusive.

*actually that one wasn't meant to look funny according to Doug Naylor. It was just a rubbish croc. Which I think is funny all the more.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

red dwarf fans are a wierd lot, there are some that cant get a grip on the obvious changes and are very critical of it and there are the fans that just love to love the show and will like any red dwarf that comes out no matter what they do to it

and yet i dno who is more annoying the fans that come on saying how bad the show is and getting told they aint real fans cus they just critized the show, or the fans that say how good it was and get called crazy for liking it by the more critical fans

:?

18. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Not really. To the contrary, failing to deal with trolling defeats the purpose of a moderated board. Usenet is the place for trolls. Go to alt.fan.red-dwarf, tell them that people you can't name are stupid for reasons you can't quite explain, and I promise you it will go over well. The Usenet community will embrace you as one of their own. You'll be famous. Whole cities will be named after you. "Dorksville", springs instantly to mind.

Gee, I hope so, before you start the famous "Thousand Goodbyes" game. That usually comes right after the Pity Party Game in the Troller's Manual, and you do seem to be playing it by the book.

Ooooh, maybe you should have read those rules more closely (or at all:-(

So, if your posts are deemed abusive (as anyone with a brain larger than a leprechaun's testicle would consider them to be), then it is in fact perfectly in keeping with the rules to fold, spindle, mutilate, and/or delete them.

Engage Panic Circuits. Panic Circuits Engaged.... Yaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!

19. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Has the troll been slayn by sir Andrew? I hope so.

20. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

- The CGI did not bother me, I have got used to really poor cg special effects in tv and films now...I can ignore it.
    -Dr Who is terrible, the plots are rubbish and the effects are dire, the only good thing about it is that RTD is leaving so perhaps we can be spared his rather cliched anti-religious/magic anti-female tirades..Seriously its become all the things that made me stop watching it origionaly...all we need now is Bertie Basset to turn up again..
    -Physical sets allways look better unless you have the time and the budget to really make the shots work.
    -I care not for the laughter track or lack...Seriously laughter would not of made BTE any better, it would still of sucked.