why did BTE not a have a live audience

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Jul 23, 2009.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

why did back to earth not have a live studio audience, its much better when they have one, and thats one of the reasons why back to earth got negative reviews.(i still like back to earth)

2. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

If you watch the BTE extras they talk about that. Principally it's a question of cost and practicality.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Details on the main site, in the BTE Behind the Scenes section. Link on the front page.

4. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I thought they didn't have a studio audience because the plot would get out and people would find out the plot before the show was put on TV.

5. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

Andrew, not sure if this has been covered before but did GNP consider, prior to the London premiere, presenting the finished show in front of an audience to record the laughter? May not have had quite the same atmosphere but it was an option nonetheless.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I honestly don't know why we bother writing Behind the Scenes information on the website...

To add a laugh track, you have to edit your show in a completely different way - even shoot it differently. You have to get the actors to pause for the gaps, you need to leave edit spaces, otherwise the final audio track is cursed with laughter all over the actual dialogue. So no, it was never really an option.

I do wish we'd been able to record the premiere audio, though. That audience - about a quarter key crew, mostly made of of friends, guests, celebs and other important attendees - had a fantastic reaction to the whole thing. But therein lies the curse of doing a no-budget project.