why did doug naylor say no series 9 but series 10

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Jul 23, 2009.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

why did doug naylor say that dosen't want to make a series 9 but make a series 10.

2. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I think it's just because of the way BTE is set 'after series ten' and the fact that series nine includes the 'death' of Kochanski. But that was the Red Dwarf of an alternative universe, so I'm imagining any new series will still be series 9.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Part two of BTE implies that we've passed some series in our time away. Doug made a joke about that which would make sense when people saw the show.

4. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

I thought we had put this to bed ages ago, it was a plot device mate, part of the plot of the show it means nothing get over it.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think the confusion stems from the fact that Doug himself got a bit jumbled up with this comment. I think what he was trying to say is that he wouldn't make the "lost" series that occur between series 8 and BTE but got mixed up with how many of these there were going to be mentioned in BTE. By mentioning "series 10" instead of "series 11" his joke didn't really make sense as it's led people to think he might be making a series set before BTE instead of a series that continues on from it.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I think everyone's still going over the top with the analysis. It was a reference, that's all. not a big statement about the quality of the lost series. Not a point about how the skipped series won't be covered in flashback later on.

It's just a 'Heh, we're doing something fourth-wall-y in this show, hint-hint' bit of whimsy. Really.

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The quote doesn't say "I wouldn't do a season nine because it's supposed to be the best season", though. I says he made the gag as a REFERENCE to the way the season is talked about, about it's fictional existence. That's not about having to 'live up to' the made-up rep.

I disagree, since the very nature of the responses have included people taking the idea of skipping direct to series ten absolutely seriously - to the point of telling other fans that 'there won't be a series nine'.

Anyway, one comment, months ago. Really not worthy of this level of analysis!

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

9. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

My thoughts exactly, i'm getting a little tired of seeing all these what happened between series 8 and bte, why isn't there a series 9 threads, people are taking it far too seriously, But each to there own i suppose

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Good point. What would I know, after all? (Also, that's not what you said - which was that "it would be safer to skip it and go straight to 10 rather than trying to make the perfect series of Red Dwarf". Which is different from skipping a series because it would be funny.)

Well, we all know, since Doug said exactly that 'squad shirt' thing in his interview.