Why didn't Season 9 start were 8 Left off?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SmegUpStevo, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SmegUpStevo

SmegUpStevo Skutter

First congrats of a Great season/special.:-D I thought it was classic Red Dwarf. But i was extremely confused. I wanted to know what happened to Rimmer after he got back to our dimension and he kneed death in the balls. Somebody help me out.

2. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    This was never revealed. The writers didn't want to start where they left off, they just wanted to write a new episode.

3. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

It would have bogged everything down, having to tie up loose ends. Driving the situation of NOW nine years later was what had to be done. Back to earth gave the characters a reason to live again, which is handy for a new series!

However as Andrew points out, because the Red Dwarf Ship is moving from right to left instead of left to right and is indeed the original design, with the asteroid imbeded in the side, meaning that technically, the ship is mirrored.

4. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Godd point. ;-)

5. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

ahh u see i thought it was going right to left cos they finally managed to turn round and was heading home

6. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I think what happened to Rimmer will be partially revealed in any forthcoming production... but it would've detracted from BTE, the amount of time that would've needed to be given over to resolving that.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Exactly. Fact is, BTE wasn't just a continuation. It was an anniversary episode and such things have a specific function. I do hope we will get to fill in some of the gap in future series though.

One guy on another site I visit referred to BtE as (his words) "Self-referential tosh." While I'll admit I did find some of the self referential stuff a little heavy handed, I found it completely understandable that they would do this in an anniversary episode! (The self referential part, I'm not saying I agree it was tosh.)

Other programmes fill an entire episode with lots of clips! BtE gave us a new story with some back referencing in comments here and there. I know which one I'd rather see. (The one clip they did show of Polymorph, was unobtrusive in the background, and worked with the scene well.)

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The thing is, there's no way to film a show that easily picks up from series eight.

The cast are noticeably older for one thing, so you can't pick up immediately after the scenes shown at the end of series eight. Which, instead, means you have to set your story sometime later...and then explain that happened in the gap.

That explanation would have to cover the living Rimmer's 'death/survival', the character's recovery from the mirror universe, the status of the convicts on Floor 13, the status of the departed Red Dwarf crew. If the current Rimmer is the 'original' hologram, how he came back.

Basically, you're talking about a long, long amount of exposition with minimal narrative progression, all being told to an audience who - in many cases - won't have seen that episode since 1998, if at all. Hardly a dynamic comeback.

But here's the thing: all that explaining would only have done one thing - put things back as we found them at the start of Back to Earth. So what does it achieve? Sure, it answers the enquiries of the hardcore, but what else? Is it funny, exciting? Does it live up to the decade of expectation to laboriously explain so much? Unlikely. Is Red Dwarf about fun stories and laughs, or is it about strict continuity referencing?

Doug has said - and he's absolutely right - that the gap between series has created a brand new period of backstory for the four main characters. Which is a great thing to have, since they had already been well-explored. Now they all have a little extra history that we can uncover. Which is something the early series thrived upon - and, in fact, is something Back to Earth made terrific use of. Slowly uncovering the truth of Kochanski's departure was only possible because there hadn't been an A-B-C detailing of the gap between episodes.

Not explaining the detail now doesn't mean it won't ever come out...

9. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

Well said Andrew

10. freddyhard

freddyhard Skutter

the key words for me are 'forthcoming production...'. so does anyone know that there will be more? it doesn't bother me that BtE didn't follow on the story from the last series and any future series doesn't have to show in detail what happened. they can just make references, possibly flash backs to fill the gap. ultimately i'd like to see more.

11. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Well said andrew and thank you for putting an end to this "what happened and why didn't they" thing between series 8 and BTE. I for one look forward to finding out and will enjoy the ride along the way too.

12. IFW_2009

IFW_2009 Skutter

No.. Fact is.. BTE was nothing more than a "comic relief" special.

A bad production, where they didnt bother spending time writing/editting the script, where the actors didnt had time to rehearse, etc.

It was nothing more than other "comic relief" specials - such as when doctor who went back and talked to peter jameon, etc.

The only difference was, they didnt do it for charity.. but to promote Dave (the channel).

It was AWFUL.. and ANY true fan could (hopefully) see that, and instantly forget about it.

Dont get me wrong. Im not the type of geek who posts on forums slagging stuff off usually. But red dwarf was my childhood, it has MANY great memories in my heart for being a well written great piece of comedy. These episodes took my memories and defecated on them. I wish i could "unwatch" them. It's like someone coming along with not even 1/10th the talent and writing a new "hitchikers" book.

13. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

Oh boy, here we go with the 'true fan' talk again. :roll: Like we haven't heard that before, from both sides of the fence. Good grief! To quote my caring sister, 'Get over it!'. :lol:

14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Oh know! What a terrible revelation! I'm not a fan of Red Dwarf after all, or at least not a true one. How could I have been so misguided to believe myself a fan of something when clearly I'm not?

Gracious! That's terrible! I'm sorry for the rape of your childhood. I'm sure, had the creators known what damage it would do to you, they would've packed up and gone home.

15. IFW_2009

IFW_2009 Skutter

See.. now we're on the same page

I wish they had done.. but now alas, i cant "unsee" these episodes.. and my entire memory of this great series has been replaced by this trash and season 8...

16. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Obviously not a true fan :lol:
    Andrew is right, BTE is great for so many reason, but the main one is giving an unknown history to the characters, and it was this history that was lacking in series 7/8. Red Dwarf was also my childhood and I like each series as they are... true there are some episodes that I do not really like, and of course some series better than others, but BTE is up there with the best in my books (I am of course referring to the Directors cut :lol:), because with an new series not only will the history be uncovered, but there will be a search of Kochanski, and as we all know, the search for Red Dwarf in series 6 brought loads of laughs, so we can only hope for similar I guess... obviously not the same as Red Dwarf has evolved... but similar :-D

17. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Who's that then?

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Thing is, people can like or dislike a thing as much as they like. But the 'created to promote Dave' argument holds sieve-like quantities of water. It's a ridiculous, illogical statement, implying an understanding of the production process that patently doesn't exist.

The Dave riff is smarter than some think. The channel ain't named for Dave, but two kids are naive enough to think it is - a reference too delicious to resist, and not present in the first drafts - and because Lister's in an unfamiliar world, he takes them at their word. He believes them. It starts as a gag, and ultimately plays into his regained sense of self-worth.

All of which is a million miles away from throwing in a namecheck - something which can hardly work as promotion since you have to be watching the damn channel to see it.

If a crit is valid, I'm interested. But this kind of nonsense gets filed right next to anyone who said 'the shows were promoting their own merchandise'. (Something, ironically, The League didn't get accused of when they showed stuff that was actually available, as opposed to discontinued merch - despite the bizarre insistence by some that we swiped their storyline.)

"I didn't like it" is valid. Stating why it was created, why decisions were made, when you blatantly don't know the truth is just fan-ranting.

19. Smegman

Smegman Third Technician

I have to admit I was a little disappointed with it when I watched it on Dave, but went with it any way as I love RD.
    Since re watching the directors cut I get it a little more and feel it deserves to be a valid stand alone episode.

20. chatterbox

chatterbox Skutter

Yea i feel exactly the same. A few OTT posts going around about BTE but I think everyone is glad that RD is back.